Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

grip at the top of back swing to follow through

Go down 
+3
weesern
chocoman
jurongtiger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

grip at the top of back swing to follow through Empty
PostSubject: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi golf gurus

I was working at the range yesterday and I discovered something about my grip that I was unaware of in the past till the pro pointed it out.

I have a relaxed, neutral grip at address but the 2 problems after address are:

1) my right thumb (and fleshy part of thumb) tend to pop out one inch away from my left hand at the top of my backswing. That, pointed out by the pro, results in a open clubface at the top. I didnt realise that before!

2) I notice that even as I consciously hold on to my right thumb and keep the V of my right hand tighter (but not a death grip), after a good release of the club at the follow through, my right thumb would have slid closed. Meaning after the followthrough and if I bring my hands back in front of me w/o letting go of the grip, the club face would be closed. As much as 45* closed to how they were set initially at address.

Also at follow through, I usually have my right palm slightly off the grip instead of the standard poise of both hands still firmly on the grip, just like at address.

How can I cure these? And how would that have affected my shots? Slices are quite a part of my game, especially drivers.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 5:13 pm

bro,

hard to imagine what u r describing. it could be due to your swing too.

ii think i u wanna cure ur slice, it is better to get a pro and seek treatment.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Why not ask the pro that point this out to you??
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Without seeing your swing, it is hard to analyze. But my best guess would be….

Your setup and grip is probably pretty good, however I would be guessing that you take the club away too far inside the target line… You could also be aligning too far right….

This means that the club head comes straight back inside your feet….

This gets it moving too flat as well as opening the face…

Then what happens is you start to feel “tight” so you stop the shoulder turn and your left wrist collapses, or bends back and goes under the club.

This lets you raise the club with your hands and get what you felt was a full swing, however the face of the club, is wide open at the top.

This gives the feeling of a “full turn” but in reality is not. All you have done is lift the hands and sometimes the shaft is resting on your shoulder…

However by just lifting like this you are likely to have moved too much weight to your left side and your head is likely to have moved ahead of the ball.

You start the downswing by re gripping at the top, (because it feels open) hence your Pro seeing fingers off the grip. This makes you get the club head moving too soon.

Your weight, being mostly on your left leg, moves back to the right leg. Reason being it is hard to hit ball with your head in front so somehow you have to get head behind.

The rest is history, hips spin out left leg straightens and club throws out coming outside in, cutting across ball and hitting either huge slice or pull….

As I said this is guessing.

Maybe the Admins could have a place where serious... (And I stress the word serious) beginners could post a video of their swing and it would make it easier for us to see issues….
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:49 pm

shorthitter wrote:

Maybe the Admins could have a place where serious... (And I stress the word serious) beginners could post a video of their swing and it would make it easier for us to see issues….

We have an youtube channel to host videos, you can send the video to moon, i can help you upload.
Or if you have a google/gmail account, you may also register one channel for yourself to host videos..

To create new youtube account:
https://www.youtube.com/create_account

Golf Republic Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/golfrepublic

The Geeky,
Moon ***edited*** WONDER MOON ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:52 pm

missmoon wrote:

The Geeky,
Moon

Geeky but Ultra Sexy................. Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Wah I type so slow it take me half an hour to reply to Jurongtigers delimma I don't that it has been read yet.. Very Happy

Now I got RSI and I am playing for money in the morning... cannot hit... (anyone feel sorry for me)? Smile
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 pm

U have my sympathy, bud.

Good luck.

CK
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Wah I type so slow it take me half an hour to reply to Jurongtigers delimma I don't that it has been read yet.. Very Happy

Now I got RSI and I am playing for money in the morning... cannot hit... (anyone feel sorry for me)? Smile

Fwah bro.... i am trying to imagine what you have just analysed, the head ahead of the ball theory... might be something i am unaware of... will go back to the mirror again.

Thanks man! I appreciate your advise!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 1:11 pm

jurongtiger wrote:

Thanks man! I appreciate your advise!

Your grip plus your swing plane are probably incorrect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: grip at the top of back swing to follow through   grip at the top of back swing to follow through I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

grip at the top of back swing to follow through
Page 1 of 1