Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back Swing

Go down 
+2
bskt
Winston
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 12:23 am

Very intresting. Anyone have any comments?
Back to top Go down
bskt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 12:52 am

Thanks for posting this video, Winston! It gave us a new perspective of the golf swing

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:13 am

but this doesn't mean that the arm has no lateral movement at all correct? there's bound to be some movement to bring the club back.. i'm just hazarding a guess here. i tried swinging after seeing the video but it feels a bit weird. but it also did show that my swing was pretty arm dominated.. haha stress sia!
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:31 am

Quoting Shawn Clement of The Richmond Hill Golf Learning Centre "Arms in front of sternum".

Check out his(clemshaw) videos on YouTube if you haven't already. I love his swing methodology of effortless and heavy momentum.

"Toss, Plant, Whip". You'll love it Smile
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:35 am

chemicalpro wrote:
Quoting Shawn Clement of The Richmond Hill Golf Learning Centre "Arms in front of sternum".

Check out his(clemshaw) videos on YouTube if you haven't already. I love his swing methodology of effortless and heavy momentum.

"Toss, Plant, Whip". You'll love it Smile

he is by far if not the most popular u tube golf instructor.
I hav learnt so much from him. he just makes it looks simple and just let our body do what it does naturally.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:39 am

I agree ironhead! His explanations are wonderfully relatable! I'll surely pop by his facility if I'm in Canada!
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 4:24 am

he looks kinda like will ferrel! hahaha but thanks for the link chempro! it's 4am and i'm still watching.. haha can't wait to try it out at the range. can't get that perpetual motion drill down though..
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Haha yeah I guess he kinda does Smile

Aye you're not alone mate, I don't exactly execute the perpetual motion drill that well either.

Gotta admire his ball compression man... Its like off the charts!

That's what I've been working on lately. Trying to squeeze the very living life out of the ball against the turf Laughing
Back to top Go down
pr1nc3ssdi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pr1nc3ssdi

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 1:44 pm

seriously speaking, I dont quite understand what he is trying to explain in the vid Sad
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:33 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
Haha yeah I guess he kinda does Smile

Aye you're not alone mate, I don't exactly execute the perpetual motion drill that well either.

Gotta admire his ball compression man... Its like off the charts!

That's what I've been working on lately. Trying to squeeze the very living life out of the ball against the turf Laughing

Try moving your ball position at address 1/2 ball backwards. You should have a better compression.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeah ball back in the stance would improve ball compression, thanks Winston Smile

Currently I'm working on normal ball placement, club in the center ball slightly forward of that, and at impact trying to bow my left wrist instead of just keeping it flat.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 4:12 pm

i thought shawn clement said not to think about your arms or hands or body position at all! just feel like you're already in motion.. haha it's very interesting but i'm not sure how it'll work with hitting an actual ball. i've been practicing on my carpet so far. haha

another thing i can't get, it's the bracing the weight against the left leg and having your cheek be behind the ball esp for chip shots. the setup feels very awkward for me.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 4:51 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
Yeah ball back in the stance would improve ball compression, thanks Winston Smile

Currently I'm working on normal ball placement, club in the center ball slightly forward of that, and at impact trying to bow my left wrist instead of just keeping it flat.

Try putting the ball in the center of the stance and the club head just behind it. At the same time, make sure the handle of the golf club is pointed towards left of your belt buckle. Others say the handle should point directly towards belt buckle. The first method works better for me. As for keeping a bow left wrist, I not sure about it.

DISCLAIMER:

Please seek professional advice. I am just a beginner myself.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 4:58 pm

ironfist wrote:
i thought shawn clement said not to think about your arms or hands or body position at all! just feel like you're already in motion.. haha it's very interesting but i'm not sure how it'll work with hitting an actual ball. i've been practicing on my carpet so far. haha

another thing i can't get, it's the bracing the weight against the left leg and having your cheek be behind the ball esp for chip shots. the setup feels very awkward for me.

I think its to prevent the hips from over rotating. If your left hip turns to fast and your hands can't catch up, it most probably will cause a slice. As for the cheek behind the ball, I think its to ensure you look "behind" ball which is suppose the point of contact between the club face and the ball. I always have the habit of looking directly over the top of the ball which is hard to change.

I have seen some people where they track their back swing with the whole head turning. Meaning they look at the club going backwards and following it all the way up and also following all the way down. The distance and impact is incredible.

DISCLAIMER:

Please seek professional advice. I am just a beginner myself.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 pm

lol yeah don't worry i'm just really curious about all the ideas he's put out and i'm just hoping to try those things out. Smile and lorena ochoa has the most obvious "look behind the ball" move i've ever seen. i have no idae how she does it! haha

Back Swing Insl10_ochoaheadtilt
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 5:36 pm

I always say whatever it takes to work, even if it means bowing the wrist. my only criticism is that will be too much manipulation and definitely, has a lot of timing issues. To get it right will require lots n lots of practice.

ball position is directly dictated by your swing plane and arc and the type of shot you wanna produce. first and foremost, one needs to have a consistent swing where the club heads hit the ground on exactly the same position, then ball position will reveal itself to you.

Shawn's teaching is very much based on understanding your body and allows it to execute the swing naturally, thts why many can relate to his perpetual momentum concept.

where the butt end of the club point again depends on your spine angle. thus the importance of getting the set up spot on.

just my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey ironhead, any success with the feet together drill or the one legged drill?

I don't exactly "allow my arms to fall freely" so these 2 drills are a bit of a challange for me.

And I tried to incorporate the "toss, plant, whip" into my swing for a while, didn't work out for me too lol.

In the end I decided to go single plane swing, and has worked well for me so far.

Guess I'm abit over technical to "give my swing to gravity" quote unquote Laughing
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 pm

hi chemicappro,
if golf is tht easy, i wont be playing it. Laughing

i believe there is no perfect swing, only the right swing for the right shot.
whatever works man....

what u say is right, too many becomes too technical n over analyse. The ironic thing is we always return to the imperfect swing (at least we knw how to compensate)

at the end, it's the score that counts.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm with you on the ain't easy part. That's what keeps me coming back for more Laughing

Like RSC said, there're more than 1 way of swinging the club, and yep its the score. Jim Furyk - exhibit A Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Swing   Back Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back Swing
Page 1 of 1