Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!

Go down 
+32
simoner
Technospaz
JohnBGLee
zhenxua
nutty88
Exigence78
mizzy
Birdman
bomby
mloy
punkrockpga
skybobo
benhogan
pippin
sandkie
Gray
syard-txv
4dtoto
Ssquirrel
garfield
dmateo
klt8144
Agumon
watermyforrest
and68low
alvin7379
Duval_S
ChrisD
peace2903
shamusan
asahi
duffader
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:46 pm

from what I know, if a person blow a hole, the max is double par even if the joker takes 7 strokes for a par 3. Am I correct? Is capping the score at double par against the rules?
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:57 pm

From what I understand, you are talking about ESC (Equitable Stroke Control)

http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/whatisesc.htm

ESC is dependant on our course handicap.
From what I hear from duffader, that person is not even following ESC as ESC for single handicapper is double bogey.

That person should not be a single handicapper but should be single strokecapper.. (means he caps himself single stroke extra per hole)... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi this is interesting reading for a beginner golfer like me! Yes I will learn to count correctly!
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:06 pm

One joker nearly got me DQed in the Jurong Open. Altered his own card from 84 to 74. ( I passed the cards to him and he did the submission). Quite infamous in the golfing circle, the national boys always WATCH his every stroke during competitions. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:46 pm

After reading the Equitable Stroke Control, I checked the course handicap of MBGC blue tees and it's shown as 0-18.
Does it mean that we are not supposed to record anything worse than double bogey for the par 5s?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Play and record the gross score as it is.
When you submit the card to the club, they will do the calculation and determine the correct ESC

For those who are interested
Course handicap Your maximum allowable score on ANY hole
9 or less Double Bogey
10 - 19 7
20 - 29 8

30 - 36 9
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:23 pm

skybobo wrote:
Your maximum allowable score on [/font]ANY hole
9 or less Double Bogey
10 - 19 7
20 - 29 8

30 - 36 9

Thanks. This is excellent info. Now I know that I can max put 8. Then I better becareful on those par 3s cos I can go more than dbl par
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Gray wrote:
skybobo wrote:
9 or less Double Bogey
10 - 19 7
20 - 29 8

30 - 36 9

Thanks. This is excellent info. Now I know that I can max put 8. Then I better becareful on those par 3s cos I can go more than dbl par

If I am not mistaken, if I triple par on a par 4, i should still record it as 12 strokes gross on the score card, regardless of ESC. ESC will apply upon submission of score card to the club for recording (handicapping) purposes. Beer
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Gray wrote:
skybobo wrote:
9 or less Double Bogey
10 - 19 7
20 - 29 8

30 - 36 9

Yea. but maximum triple bogey on par 5....
That is why sometimes a lot of people wonder why their handicap can be lower than they expect because all clubs will auto cut according to esc...
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Gray wrote:
from what I know, if a person blow a hole, the max is double par even if the joker takes 7 strokes for a par 3. Am I correct? Is capping the score at double par against the rules?

if you score 22 on a hole, you must write 22 on your scorecard for that hole. every single shot must be counted no matter what, and at the end add them all up to get your gross score. adjustments made for the purposes of ESC and handicap are to be made only after the game is completed and an 18 hole gross score has been calculated.

if you wish to play according to the rules and the spirit of the game that is.

i agree completely that the way a person handles himself / herself on the golf course reveals a lot about their character.

have a good day all!

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Darn... The course handicaps differs for each tee colour, so if I want to have hcp 40, I have to blow up every holes from red tees...
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Darn... The course handicaps differs for each tee colour, so if I want to have hcp 40, I have to blow up every holes from red tees...

That would be fun bcos then you will have to tee off from the red tee box together with me. Razz
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:49 pm

watermyforrest wrote:

Bro, next time i play with you off red tee ok?
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:20 pm

It is very difficult to achieve 40 because maximum for men is 36.4 If I am not wrong....
women 40.4...
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 pm

taskie wrote:
From what I understand, you are talking about ESC (Equitable Stroke Control)

http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/whatisesc.htm

ESC is dependant on our course handicap.
From what I hear from duffader, that person is not even following ESC as ESC for single handicapper is double bogey.

That person should not be a single handicapper but should be single strokecapper.. (means he caps himself single stroke extra per hole)... Very Happy

Note that ESC is only for handicap computation. Not for ppl to write scores. One should MUST always try to write the gross score.

In medal game I though you have to exchange cards and let your fellow competitor mark your score And vice versa?

Last edited by bomby on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:05 pm

bomby wrote:

One should always try to write the gross score.

Sorry Bomby, it's not 'should' but 'must' write the gross score as mentioned by Punkrockpga.

I have to correct you there lest people start to assume they have the option to choose between writing their gross score or capping their score according to their handicap.

Ever see a pro cap their own score in competition? If they play a 12 on a par 3, that's what they have to write down.

Thanks for understanding. Smile
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Sorry if I have caused the misunderstanding....

Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 pm

good thing i don't have to think about what cap to write.. now if only i can remember how many exactly on holes i blow.. 12? 13? 14?
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Birdman wrote:
bomby wrote:

One should always try to write the gross score.

Sorry Bomby, it's not 'should' but 'must' write the gross score as mentioned by Punkrockpga.

I have to correct you there lest people start to assume they have the option to choose between writing their gross score or capping their score according to their handicap.

Ever see a pro cap their own score in competition? If they play a 12 on a par 3, that's what they have to write down.

Thanks for understanding. Smile

no pro birdie... tongue yes.. i agree. it is a MUST!! not should.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:08 pm

i always strongly believe in writing the correct score.. why the need to not count the stroke! Golf is a game whereby it is played without a referee... therefore it is up to the individual to be honest. Follow the rules.. if do not know the rules.. go and attend rules workshop.

Only after attending the rules workshop for my handicap did I know that I have been miss counting lost ball and OB penalty.. damn..
Back to top Go down
Exigence78
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

based on observation and a few games with younger frens...there seems to be an obsession with cutting handicap as it shows that one have improved in the game or is a strong player....

as a result, some of them resort to cheating on their scores....

well, what my club has done is quite interesting - if you do not submit score cards, they cut your handicap. either way, you have to keep score properly Smile
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:22 pm

oh.. just to share what I know.. a handicap is an indication of the player's ability.. not an average score. And one should be playing to his/her handicap (i think) 30% of the time. That's why in handicap calculation.. it is base on your best scores that you have submitted. e.g submit 20 take 10 best. submit 5 take best score.

ESC is used to prevent players from pushing his/her handicap up.. for competition purposes.. that's why there is a cut off. In case that a player woud want to push his/her handicap to gain unfair advantage. It is not to be used as an excuse to alter the gross score!

There is also something called MLS (most likely score) which can be used... in case you blow the hole and want to speed up play. But this MLS is not based on the stroke you think.. its more like your average strokes required 50% of the time to hole the hole from the current position + whatever stroke already taken to get there. Although the rules does state that you have to hole out!

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Exigence78 wrote:
based on observation and a few games with younger frens...there seems to be an obsession with cutting handicap as it shows that one have improved in the game or is a strong player....

as a result, some of them resort to cheating on their scores....

well, what my club has done is quite interesting - if you do not submit score cards, they cut your handicap. either way, you have to keep score properly Smile

All clubs cut hcp if u do not submit scorecards. mine drop me an email on monday if i did not submit my score card for a game on saturday.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Maybe he meant single handicap for EACH hole leh? What a Face
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm a 20 hcp, but boh pian all my friends want to play blue tee, so I cheat a bit push my hcp to 17.5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!   Golfers, respect the game when you play the game! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next