Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Understanding the Swing Plane

Go down 
+18
Right_sided_coach
DGman
mUAr_cHEe
missmoon
sunny
jaketang
Technospaz
G_Man
Lamts18
S70B
Ssquirrel
yelnats
samT
ironfist
shotah
sniffydog
The Golfing Machine
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:10 am

G_Man wrote:
The Golfing Machine wrote:
G_Man wrote:
doesnt that mean that the lines are drawn to conform with convenience???

Well, i guess that's what circular posting is all abt.

I didn't draw the lines you are referencing so I can't answer your question G_Man sir...Smile

Okay, whatever..

But let me run over some of the points in the earlier post and to tally them up.

I am truly confused from reading your post... Could you please clarify the following for me?

"Best to take lessons from pros in a country club tied to the PGA."

Why??? Surely there are exceptions to your norm??? I didn't learn to drive from someone with ties to with Honda or Toyota. And whats wrong with the other golf organizations?

"I have a very flat and inside takeaway which facilitates a proper return on the downswing.
To me, I will do what is necessary to ensure the most effective downswing."

Are you advocating a flat back swing? As it will facilitate a proper return on the down swing?? Which part of your swing analysis shows this?

"The swing is still on plane as long as the point of origin does not change."

I assume the origin is just behind the ball where the club started from? If yes, well, so any back swing will do,. as long as we get back to the origin? Or were you referring to the ball moving while you were doing your back swing???

There is nothing wrong learning from pros from other organizations.
I know pros from other organizations and have a great deal of respect of their passion and commitment.
My response was in relation to obtaining a handicap.
Most pros who teach out of country club affiliated with the SPGA would be able to arrange for that fairly easily.

I advocate a flat backswing for myself - never once have I advocated swinging like me or anyone else for that matter. What I do however is point out what the greats do and why.

If you look at the diagram of Billy Mayfair, you will notice all the plane lines originating from one point - the ball. This is very basic geometry that one learns in primary school.

My ball does not move during the backswing.

Its kind of difficult to make that happen when the clubhead is moving back on an arc at the same time that the shaft is making a three dimensional upward, backward and inward move starting on the plane line established at address. Mine moves through the hands only plane thereafter making a sharp move up the elbow plane and reverse shifting out to the turned shoulder plane all the while making a random load of the power package. While all this is happening, I am monitoring the sweetspot of the clubhead through its proxy, the number 3 pressure point.

So there, kind of difficult to make the ball move while all that is going on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:12 am

S70B wrote:

Your pushes happen because you are not squaring the face up as the clubface approaches impact.
Your snap hooks are caused because of excessive post-impact roll of the clubface.

One of the reasons for post-impact roll is also excessive inside take-away. Most people's hands are not educated enuff to square it properly if they din have the proper takeaway path in the 1st place.

You hit the nail on the head bro...thanks for the post.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:13 am

S70B wrote:
I am also confused.

I tot it was a thread on 'understanding the swing plane'. You even posted your swing as an example but then said it is not a study of your swing.

For those less informed, they will take it that it might be the correct way to swing. Advocation of such unorthodox methods is 1 of many ways for beginners to lose interest in the game if they follow such techniques.

Sorry for the confusion bro...
I posted that in reference to another issue.
Will keep that in mind in future.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:17 am

G_Man wrote:
"Sounds like your optimum roll is somewhere between your snaps and pushes."
Lagi confused liao...
Is it possible for it to be anywhere else???

If you push, you are not rolling the face enough.
If you hook, you are doing too much.

So optimum is somewhere between "enough" and "too much"....haha
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:34 am

I think there are several good players here. I do enjoy their occassional views about some golf swing theories, but I don't think there are much specific interest in particular school of teaching. I could be wrong, just my personal sensing.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 am

samT wrote:
I think there are several good players here. I do enjoy their occassional views about some golf swing theories, but I don't think there are much specific interest in particular school of teaching. I could be wrong, just my personal sensing.

I see...hope you were not offended with my request.
I apologise if I crossed you.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:38 am

I mean from some of the authoritative sounding posts, I figured some of the guys who post actively are good single handicappers (maybe better). I know bro S70B is a very good player which is why I take his posts seriously.

Me? sorry man, but half the time I'm posting nonsense and jokes to everyone here. Golf is my passion but I like my day job alot.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 am

S70B wrote:
I mean from some of the authoritative sounding posts, I figured some of the guys who post actively are good single handicappers (maybe better). I know bro S70B is a very good player which is why I take his posts seriously.

Me? sorry man, but half the time I'm posting nonsense and jokes to everyone here. Golf is my passion but I like my day job alot.

Yes...you are one lucky guy.
Haven't ridden on a heli before...
Heard someone say that if you go up too fast, your balls actually go to the throat! haha....
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:55 am

i think we all share a passion and love for this game and this forum gives us a opportunity to chat, interact and have games with... makes more friends. Nobody is somebody senior .. we are all peers here.. personally and in my humble opinion, i find the 'term name' given as related to the number of posts posted is misleading.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:57 am

ya man Mr Lam. Someone thought u were really a tour player with a +5 hdcp before turning pro. Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 am

let's not confuse the beautify and "simple" game of golf.... heheheheh
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:05 am

samT wrote:

I see...hope you were not offended with my request.
I apologise if I crossed you.

No offence taken. You take care.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 am

hahahahah

well i think norm ppl would always or shall i say interested in tips or shortcuts that will help their game..depends on how u look at it. (if not, y do we always read those golf mags or instructional books? )

yes, when someone posts some tips or instruction, we will always quite immediately trying to visualize it in our mind... trying to some how find some explanation on our incapability / mistake or in some way improve our game?

well for me, i juz take things with a pinch of salt (not too much, i got hypertension ya)...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:10 am

jaketang wrote:
hahahahah

well i think norm ppl would always or shall i say interested in tips or shortcuts that will help their game..depends on how u look at it. (if not, y do we always read those golf mags or instructional books? )

yes, when someone posts some tips or instruction, we will always quite immediately trying to visualize it in our mind... trying to some how find some explanation on our incapability / mistake or in some way improve our game?

well for me, i juz take things with a pinch of salt (not too much, i got hypertension ya)...

Thank you very much for your suggestion.... how silly of me... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:13 am

dun say tht bro lamts18, tht's juz my personal thgts...... Embarassed

but can't deny tht if someone with the "guru" level posting something, they are being taken slightly more seriously... Smile
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:17 am

jaketang wrote:
dun say tht bro lamts18, tht's juz my personal thgts...... Embarassed

but can't deny tht if someone with the "guru" level posting something, they are being taken slightly more seriously... Smile

hey, no worries... Very Happy
just wanting and trying to understand the golf swing ... time to go and consult a golf coach ....
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:21 am

jaketang wrote:

You hit the nail liao.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 am

Hi everyone,

Please note the forum rules and regulations once again.

Please ensure that there is NO vulgarities.

While you may debate and disagree, please do it in a gentlemanly manner. Golf is a gentleman's sport, not for hooligans.

Please do not go around slamming others.

The professionals are here to help. If you find them confusing or disagree, please ask questions properly. Swearing and slamming would do the forum no good and only make things more confusing.

I have given sufficient warning to offenders. Actions would be taken in the future.

To clarify, the guru status is removed from everyone and not just TGM as we feel that the pros are getting unnecessary stick and thus we would want it to be voluntary in the future.

Lastly, I would like to thank all the pros who had been contributing to the forum. They had done so using their personal time. Their efforts are commendable.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am

Dear forumers,

The golf gurus are here to help and provide (FREE) advices, i am sad to see that they provide this kind of negative feedback. Guys, I seek your cooperation to work on the goal of the forum which is to build a friendly and open society.

Vulgarities and slamming other members do not make the forum a better place and such actions would not be tolerated.

Members who worked against the forum goals will be banned with no notice.

From your humble admin,
Moon
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:37 am

All,

Sorry for quick removal of the mentioned thread. We are in the midst of cleaning up and will put up the thread again as we have mutually agreed that thread does carry value in knowledge and will be beneficial to some.

"Different Strokes for Different Folks."

"One man's meat is another man's poison."

Rgds,
mUAr_cHEe
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:32 pm

any forum will have a group of supporters and opposers of the traditions. as long as it civil and non personal, it will be both entertaining and informative. so remember there is also a reaction to any action.

Like club brands, what works for some may not work for others. In a nut shell, TGM was a book written by a problem solver who do not play much golf let alone competitive golf. it was adopted by different golfing coaches who saw the merit of the physics and articulation behind the TGM principles and have since been used by different academies as their swing basics.

some schools will insist on a total revamp while others can make tweaks to improve and produce a repetitive golf swing. whatever is your choice, no school will force you to make those changes. Similarly, if you are not using those principles adopted by different schools, it does not mean that you will not be able to play good and competitive golf.

just imagine if this topic is on religion...we should discuss the merit of each instead of insisting that a certain religion is the only way to enlightenment. then we will learn more and impart even more.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Ok. All, I have removed the personal slams after much reading.

Just remember that TGM is just one of the many ways to hit the golf ball. We can all debate, do, learn and use everything that you want.

I will just stick to my "Hokkien Peng" Swing.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Right guys. Friendly debating is allowed as this is still a forum but mind the personal attacks.

No more name-calling pls or u guys will start to scare away the likes of Jessica n pingping. affraid

And MC, I'm not afraid of ur Hokkien Peng swing, just keep doing wat u are doing and I will have more free lunches too. Laughing

*cough*cough*3puttparman*cough*cough*
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:01 pm

A plane to me is something that flies in the sky. lol! I refer to it as a swing path. In my opinion, the path is a product of the body angles in your swing, the direction of your turn and your swing radius. To simplify, you can improve your path by improving these 3 things. I have seen many that have a good swing path however still can not hit the ball well because they have the wrong body angles, open or closed clubface, too wide/narrow etc. You must take into account that the club face is the biggest factor in the direction your golf ball travels. This is something that has not been mentioned in any part of this thread. These swing plane gadgets such as explainer, plane boards, lasers, are all irrelevant if you do not have correct body angles and a square clubface. You can be on plane however if your body is tilted or clubface shut, you will have to manipulate your body and the club face to be able to hit it where u want. My priority when fixing a swing is firstly body angles, secondly the club face. If I fix the body angles, I know the path will change for the better. If you try to fix your plane, without fixing your body, you will hit it worse. Once again it comes back to set up. If you set up inverted, you cant get it on plane unless you fake it by manipulating with hands, body etc.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
i am utterly confused after looking and think i shall give up and go fishing.. at least fishing still use shafts and its easier..

Mr Lam...got garage sale at hacienda grove...abu rods - 282, zoom etc, abu cardinal 66, mitchell reels...left and and right hand models. tackle box and all kinds of lines.

since its not golf equipment, no need to put picture right?

the other other things that use shafts also....

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Swing Plane   Understanding the Swing Plane - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Understanding the Swing Plane
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next