Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough

Go down 
+3
tronos
ghoonk
Duval_S
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough Empty
PostSubject: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Picked this up fm a golf site:

Quote :
New research proves that you lose the most strokes in your long game. Sure, putting and chipping matter, but to go low, you must ... Drive for Dough

ok....this calls for immediate action .....I will do weights.....so as I can go low as in going below 120.....

Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:56 pm

To score well, you must play well all around - driving, irons, bunker, pitching, chipping, putting
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 5:14 pm

no matter how u play, quite often it always comes down to the putt.....to win or half the hole.....
therefor putt for dough.

when ur opponent is a lousy putter, even if he gets on the green in regulation, u have no fear cause u know he will miss the putt. even if u are in the bunker, u still got a chance to half or even win the hole.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 5:26 pm

yeah, but that's assuming that your opponent is gg to be bad at putting. What I've learned so far is to be good at everything, from the tee off, right into the hole. Believing that your opponent is going to be weak in one area is wishful thinking (but one can hope la), and my eral opponents are me and the course - i have to play better than I usually play, and I have to beat the course to shoot a score as low as possible

Sometimes that means taking chances, other times, same hole it may just need course management if I'm not striking the ball well. Either way, I cannot afford to be lax and focus only on one dimension of my game, otherwise I cannot improve...
Back to top Go down
BORN2GOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 6:16 pm

golf is a scrambling game...it's how well you recover from bad shots and misplacement...therefore,it's your recovery that counts so it's gotta b anywhere anytime on the course...
Back to top Go down
oned10t
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
oned10t

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 7:11 pm

But most of the time when you are good at driving, your iron bound to be sux and vice versa

Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:11 pm

It's true that you have to be a all rounder but
I still believe that "Drive for show, putt for dough"

Anyone remember the monster putts that TW use to pull off?
And now he's struggling, all that tension and no relieve.LOL
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:23 pm

maybe the myth came about from the last hole of the last round when the leader loses the championship by double or triple putting?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:58 pm

sob wrote:
It's true that you have to be a all rounder but
I still believe that "Drive for show, putt for dough"

Anyone remember the monster putts that TW use to pull off?
And now he's struggling, all that tension and no relieve.LOL

Tiger aint playing well cos he aint got no more late night activities. When he was #1, he sure as hell wasn't home every night watching TV with Elin lor.

Finding one aspect of one's game to blame is one sure way to hinder one's game improvement. Look at me - fairway woods suck cos i keep telling myself that as long as I keep playing well with my irons and hybrid, I don't need to learn to play FW well. In the past, I used to believe that as long as I don't end up in the next country on my drives, I can try to shoot par.

In the end, my lowest scores were shot when EVERYTHING was working right - drives were long and finding the fairway, puring fairway woods into wedge distances on par 5s and reaching long Par 4s in 2, striking irons like a pro, pitching like a ninja and putting like Pelz Razz

Bottom line, no excuse la. For high handicapper, if driving and long game sucks cat balls, player will still be trying to 1-putt for bogey at best, double bogey on average, and triple bogey at worst. Still end up with jialat scores.

That said, unless you idea of 'playing well' means shooting under 90, there's no escape. Just cos someone shoots above 100 does not means his/her putting is bad. I have played with some high handicappers who can shoot 105 and still keep putts under 36 (32 on a decent day) but they are let down by wayward drives and iron play, or suffer in the bunkers or around the green.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough   Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Instruction Myth: You Putt for Dough
Page 1 of 1