Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re: dry leaf or grass as tee

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Re: dry leaf or grass as tee Empty
PostSubject: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi,

Let try this one. As you know the only place when you can select the location, improve the lie before hitting your ball is on the tee box. What if

I am on short par 3 and decide to use my wedge but in case of a tee I use some dry leaf or grass as tee enable my wedge hit better under the ball. It there any ruling against this ?
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Why in heaven's name would you want to do this? The grass or dry leaves might come in between your contact with the club and the ball and you might miss a hell of a lot of needed spin on the short par 3.. Anyway, short tees are about 3 bucks a packet of 50, so there's really no excuse for not having any Smile

Whether or not there's a rule against this, I'm not sure... The R & A probably has not seen any golfers gathering dried leaves on the green... Smile
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:47 pm

dry leaf or grass? Don't think it will help in any way... might even cause the ball to move slightly if you catches the leaf first before the ball... results will be quite bad I presume...

I've tried the following:
- placing the ball over a patch of grass so that it is slightly elevated
- tee that is pressed all the way into the ground
- tee slightly elevated
- sandy patch

So far using a tee still works out best. I usually press it in deep enough to allow the ball to sit just above the height of the grass.

Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:51 pm

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Why in heaven's name would you want to do this? The grass or dry leaves might come in between your contact with the club and the ball and you might miss a hell of a lot of needed spin on the short par 3.. Anyway, short tees are about 3 bucks a packet of 50, so there's really no excuse for not having any Smile

Whether or not there's a rule against this, I'm not sure... The R & A probably has not seen any golfers gathering dried leaves on the green... Smile

Bro, thanks for the comment and you are definitely correct. However, this is just for golf ruling discussion Very Happy

Like to try ?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
dry leaf or grass? Don't think it will help in any way... might even cause the ball to move slightly if you catches the leaf first before the ball... results will be quite bad I presume...

I've tried the following:
- placing the ball over a patch of grass so that it is slightly elevated
- tee that is pressed all the way into the ground
- tee slightly elevated
- sandy patch

So far using a tee still works out best. I usually press it in deep enough to allow the ball to sit just above the height of the grass.

Alvin,

Based on what you are saying, it is obvious that you are a good experience player beside being a long hitter. I hope to see you again in SSN on my next trip.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:05 pm

I once played with a pro in an event and he didn't use a tee on par threes. Just used whatever iron he had in hand and swung it into the ground, creating a sort of half divot that stood on end. He then placed the ball on it and swung away. I asked him about it wondering if it was allowed for pros to do that since I had never seen such a thing. He said, yeah, there were other pros who did the same thing.

Going back to the early days of golf before the invention of the wooden tee, golfers used to carry a bag of dirt with them. When they required a tee, dirt was poured out of the bag creating a little mound for them to place the ball on. If there has been no change in the rules, not that I'm about to look it up, then it should still hold true today that we can do the same, even if a wooden tee does give some advantage, however small.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

The applicable ruling is in rule 13-2 improving lie, area of intended stance or swing, or line of play.

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs :

in creatin or eliminating irregualities of surface within the teeing ground (rule 11-1) .........
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am

Birdman wrote:
I once played with a pro in an event and he didn't use a tee on par threes. Just used whatever iron he had in hand and swung it into the ground, creating a sort of half divot that stood on end. He then placed the ball on it and swung away. I asked him about it wondering if it was allowed for pros to do that since I had never seen such a thing. He said, yeah, there were other pros who did the same thing.

Going back to the early days of golf before the invention of the wooden tee, golfers used to carry a bag of dirt with them. When they required a tee, dirt was poured out of the bag creating a little mound for them to place the ball on. If there has been no change in the rules, not that I'm about to look it up, then it should still hold true today that we can do the same, even if a wooden tee does give some advantage, however small.

Wow, Birdman. Thank you for sharing the experience on what the pro did on the tee box. This is the 1st time I heard about it.

You are correct. I do not think the rule change. As I understand under rule 11-1 Teeing

When a player is putting a ball into play from the teeing ground, it must be played from within the tee ground and from the surface of the ground OR from a conforming tee OR on the surface of the ground.

The surface of the ground includes an irregularity of the surface (Whether or not CREATED by the player) sand or OTHER NATURAL substance (whether or not PLACED by the player).

Btw, do note that stroke at the ball on a NON-CONFORMING tee will be disqualified

Conforming Tee : No longer than 4" in length and also cannot indicate the direction or interfered with the flight of ball.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 am

Alan wrote:
The applicable ruling is in rule 13-2 improving lie, area of intended stance or swing, or line of play.

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs :

in creatin or eliminating irregualities of surface within the teeing ground (rule 11-1) .........

Thank pro for the comment. I presume rule 13-2 apply only when the "ball is in play". Ball do not consider in play before it was tee off. We shall apply rule 11-1 for this case. Am I correct ?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am

Slicer51, thanks for the information. Always good to learn something new everyday, you never know when it might come in good use.

Hope to see you soon in Singapore, or Surabaya one day.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: dry leaf or grass as tee   Re: dry leaf or grass as tee I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re: dry leaf or grass as tee
Page 1 of 1