Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?

Go down 
+14
4dtoto
hillgreen
Lamts18
weesern
jaketang
tronos
Technospaz
who8168
setzer
missmoon
shorthitter
kopiO
The Golfing Machine
scott
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scott
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? Empty
PostSubject: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi All,
It's about using irons....
I can hit quite well on driving range and on the carpet. But I can't hit properly when I tried it on the grass, it's topping the ball most of the time or hitting the ground too hard. This happens when I recently went to the Turf City's driving range which uses the bare ground / grass.

SOmething wrong with my position or swing? Or I really need more practice?

Waiting for some comments. Thanks
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:18 pm

From what you describe, seems that you are not going down on the ball.
Try this on grass the next time...

Try pinching down on a spot IN FRONT of the ball with the club.
I think you will like the impact feel.
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:19 pm

which lane did you play at the turf city driving range? last went, there was a couple which were on side slope, i.e. ball is slightly below your feet... which will need some adjustment to your posture... matt and concrete is always flat, and even when you hit a bit fat, the ball will still fly...

either that, or maybe juz the space between your two ears, i.e. mental lah...

u will experience the same thing when you first progress from driving range to green too.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 pm

I agree, sometimes it is as simple as new golfers are "worried" about damaging the grass, so they try not to hit it...

In golf you are expected to take a big hunk of the earth as you hit... the buggies have a small container of sand so if you take grass you fill with sand.

Hit the ball take a slab of grass and see what happens, you may be surprised....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:24 pm

shorthitter wrote:
I agree, sometimes it is as simple as new golfers are "worried" about damaging the grass, so they try not to hit it...

In golf you are expected to take a big hunk of the earth as you hit... the buggies have a small container of sand so if you take grass you fill with sand.

Hit the ball take a slab of grass and see what happens, you may be surprised....

I second Kiwi's suggestion...along with making your divot start in front of the ball like the good players.
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:31 pm

shorthitter wrote:

I love making pizza!
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 pm

missmoon wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

I love making pizza!

I love eating pizza...... flower
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 pm

shorthitter wrote:
missmoon wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

I love making pizza!

I love eating pizza...... flower

and drink BEER ... a lot of BEER.. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Had to cut down on beer intake, but I keep the cans so I can pretend lol!
Back to top Go down
setzer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
setzer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 am

scott wrote:
Hi All,
It's about using irons....
I can hit quite well on driving range and on the carpet. But I can't hit properly when I tried it on the grass, it's topping the ball most of the time or hitting the ground too hard. This happens when I recently went to the Turf City's driving range which uses the bare ground / grass.

SOmething wrong with my position or swing? Or I really need more practice?

Waiting for some comments. Thanks

I had the same problem previously when i just started to play on the green and I think it basically boils down to one word, confidence. The longer the time i took to set up my shot, the more stress i apply onto myself. And of cos, getting used to taking chunks of soil helps eventually.

In short, I find that when I don't think too much about whether will I messed up my shot, just pick a target, followed by pre-shot routine and let it rip... the results are usually so much better than when I try to aim and aim and try my very best to hit the ball.

Smile
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:44 am

Hi Scott, nothing to worry about. We've all been there. Just remember to practise, practise, practise (with the right techniques of course). In time, your body will adjust, your muscles will be conditioned & memorize, & hopefully the correct swing will be second nature.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 7:45 am

I think with grass, the ball sits more so it is slightly lower as compared to the carpet. As such, you hit the top of the ball (hence the topping). I also have that problem and what I do is re-adjust my alignment. It's like playing on the golf course... your lie always changes so you need to re-adjust from what you're used to. In the case of the grass, remind yourself that the ball is placed lower and therefore, your layup (hands, swing etc) must also "sink" a little.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 8:08 am

take out a divot with your pre shot and note the position. think its the best way to adjust for the slope.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:17 am

tronos wrote:
take out a divot with your pre shot and note the position. think its the best way to adjust for the slope.

Very sound advice. I do this too when my ball's not on level lie. It takes away most doubts & boosts the confidence when executing the actual shot.
Back to top Go down
scott
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for all the advise abv. Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:12 am

tronos wrote:

Good tip!
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:21 am

i think the best is to go to the course with a few experts here..... wat u learn from the green definitely > then wat u learn from the range....
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm

if u happen to be hitting balls at the range on wet mat (maybe after rain). you should be able to see the splash of the water from the mat. u will then know where u hit the ground. If cannot see, ask someone to help you see...

TGM said hit down on the ball, some people will really try to hit down, end up hitting the ground maybe 1 foot behind the ball, at least this is what I've seen. TGM has a very good diagram on another thread showing the bottom of the swing arc, if u move the bottom of the swing arc to in front of the ball, you will naturally catch the ball without even bothering abt the ball. tat is if the bottom of the swing is at the correct position.

I think the pro can explain better...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 pm

True... its how much to move in front to.. 2 much and its a thinned shot .
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Thin to win baby...
If I have to make a bad shot on the course, I will choose a thin shot.
If its not too thin it will carry less but the shot will run like a scared rabbit
upon hitting the fairway thus not losing as much distance as a fat shot.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

Agreed!! just try not to hit a approach shot thin with water after the green... Very Happy

I read somewhere that pro takes divot 4 inches in front of the ball... so i guess anything from 0 inch to 4 inches in front of the ball should be gd enough for us
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:02 pm

That somewhere is The Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett.
4 inches is not entirely accurate. It changes depending on the club used.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Glad you clarify if not I get stoned for giving wrong info... thanks

another qn, does the shallow or steep down swing produce different position of the divot??
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:15 pm

No stoning here bro.
Bobby wasn't clear in the book.

His procedure works only if you maintain a
constant ball position

Bobby is prepping for senior tour now and he should be good.

Yes, different procedures produce different divot patterns.
I like my divots to be nice and thin curving slightly left towards the end.
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Yes, this works for me as well.

Swing few times in pre shot to ascertain where to position your ball. Then re-adjust till it can divot the ball and you will no go wrong.... alien

who8168 wrote:
tronos wrote:
take out a divot with your pre shot and note the position. think its the best way to adjust f

or the slope.

Very sound advice. I do this too when my ball's not on level lie. It takes away most doubts & boosts the confidence when executing the actual shot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?   Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carpet can hit, on the grass cannot hit. Why?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next