Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wat Irons for Me!

Go down 
+18
Ssquirrel
TeD
Lamts18
alangolf
4dtoto
mowen
Duval_S
siaw8
watermyforrest
Technospaz
ironfist
who8168
Ken_
daveaha
Uncle Lau
Roystonnn
DeadSoul
jtek
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 am

Hi guys, I know i should just ask this question in words but i just hope to gather some feedback as preparation for my next "PLAN" to change club. Evil or Very Mad

I golf for about 1 year and got my PC. Currently playing super high in the range of 110-120.

My tee off wasn't bad as in 6/10 hit rate but not all straight on fairway.

Usually CRASH my fariway shots on my what should be my best club, the irons. Sad

The short game around 5/10 as I would usually need 2-3 chips plus 2-3 putts to get in.

I'm currently using a used TM RAC TP Forged but only used the 5i to PW. 3i & 4i is used at home as clothes hanger!!! Smile

Now I wonder is it these irons is too tough for my current standard which triggerred me thinking of changing to a more forgiving irons to help my game.

Okie, enough of the super long story... my question is:

What is the recommended irons for my current standard of play? I hope to get something to improve my game.

Thank you all for any feedback to help me on my choice of irons. Smile
Back to top Go down
DeadSoul
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:37 am

What type of shaft are you using? steel or graphite?

what type of flex are u using? Reg or Stiff?

is your swing speed fast?
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:40 am

Wow... think TP ito me is not an easy club to play.
Probably you should try hitting some other clubs in any golf shops.
Best if your frends have some club for you to try.

I think in the MarketPlace thread, there are some more forgiving 2nd hand set for sale.
Taylormade is a cheap & good set to start with.. (2nd hand better)

Since you are using it as hanger, how about exchanging it with me?
I pass you 2 hangers in exchange for your 3i and 4i. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:41 am

No offence bro ! But at your stage i believed that you should work with a Golf Pro on all aspect of your game 1st. Changing club will not help you play well, only mentally for a while.
Only after a few years as you move from a beginner golfer to a super croc than custom made (BF) or newer advance irons, a year or two years down the road. afro

It just my personel view, i play for 7 years and only change twice froma old set of Callaway Big Bertha 1993 model to a set of King Cobra 3400XL. Only drivers need to change evry 2 years....just my view ! Very Happy

UL

Beer
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
No offence bro ! But at your stage i believed that you should work with a Golf Pro on all aspect of your game 1st. Changing club will not help you play well, only mentally for a while.
Only after a few years as you move from a beginner golfer to a super croc than custom made (BF) or newer advance irons, a year or two years down the road. afro

It just my personel view, i play for 7 years and only change twice froma old set of Callaway Big Bertha 1993 model to a set of King Cobra 3400XL. Only drivers need to change evry 2 years....just my view ! Very Happy

UL

Beer

UL, why only change the drivers every two years ? Got any special reason ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:50 am

jtek, what are your usual misses with your current iron shots? Are you slicing them a lot, or hitting them fat (ie. hit the ground before you hit the ball), or are you all over the place (ie. sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes top, sometimes fat).

It depends on whether you have a consistant miss. Eg., if you hit them fat all the time, a more forgiving iron set with wider soles can help you to enjoy the game better at this stage. If you slice them a lot, having clubs with more offsets may help.

If you are generally inconsistent, UL is right that you should take some lessons.

Just sharing my opinion. Razz
Back to top Go down
DeadSoul
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 am

daveaha wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:

UL

Beer

Technology for golf clubs changes very fast... within 1 year, there can be many new clubs in the market.. changing maybe UL changes drivers to give him the additional distance advantage. But to change the irons so often will be difficult as you are alr used to the distance for each iron #. so its easier to change the driver then the irons.

UL, you agree?
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:53 am

daveaha wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:

UL

Beer

He changes gf every 2 mths... so wats the big deal on changing driver every 2 years. ROFL

Irons are like his wife.. (looking for the feel)
Drivers are like gf.. (looking for performance)

Or the simplest reason of all is that, he is rich, handsome & romantic. flower
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:13 am

The current TM RAC TP Forged is a great set, albeit a little tough for you now. However, if you are thinking of getting a new set which is more forgiving, I think you are probably better off spending that money on a good golf coach.

With proper instructions, & depending on how fast you learn, you may quickly be able to hit your current clubs in no time.

I am an advocate of good instructions before good equipment, cos if the old habits & faults cannot be corrected, you'll never hit good shots, no matter what club you use. You will end up more frustrated & eventually quit this lovely sports.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 am

DeadSoul wrote:
What type of shaft are you using? steel or graphite?

what type of flex are u using? Reg or Stiff?

is your swing speed fast?

Steel Shaft Regular... Swing Speed??? Never measure before leh... but should be beginner speed lor. Smile
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 am

Roystonnn wrote:
Wow... think TP ito me is not an easy club to play.
Probably you should try hitting some other clubs in any golf shops.
Best if your frends have some club for you to try.

I think in the MarketPlace thread, there are some more forgiving 2nd hand set for sale.
Taylormade is a cheap & good set to start with.. (2nd hand better)

Since you are using it as hanger, how about exchanging it with me?
I pass you 2 hangers in exchange for your 3i and 4i. Very Happy

Shocked
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:32 am

Uncle Lau wrote:

UL

Beer

Thanks uncle lau! I'm current having lesson with at Gary Edwin, OCC. But seems likei'm not improving on my distance tats why brain going around changing club...

Further to that, some of my croc kakis mentioned that my TP irons may be too unforgiving for my current standard tats y this tot.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:35 am

Ken_ wrote:
jtek, what are your usual misses with your current iron shots? Are you slicing them a lot, or hitting them fat (ie. hit the ground before you hit the ball), or are you all over the place (ie. sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes top, sometimes fat).

It depends on whether you have a consistant miss. Eg., if you hit them fat all the time, a more forgiving iron set with wider soles can help you to enjoy the game better at this stage. If you slice them a lot, having clubs with more offsets may help.

If you are generally inconsistent, UL is right that you should take some lessons.

Just sharing my opinion. Razz

Well on range, it is usually fat with some thin then. But main concern is i have been hitting high ball flight. Eg. my 7i go straight but high then drop very vertically to only 90 mark in the range.

Then on green, usually "top" ball lor... Sad
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 am

who8168 wrote:
The current TM RAC TP Forged is a great set, albeit a little tough for you now. However, if you are thinking of getting a new set which is more forgiving, I think you are probably better off spending that money on a good golf coach.

With proper instructions, & depending on how fast you learn, you may quickly be able to hit your current clubs in no time.

I am an advocate of good instructions before good equipment, cos if the old habits & faults cannot be corrected, you'll never hit good shots, no matter what club you use. You will end up more frustrated & eventually quit this lovely sports.

Just my 2 cents.

Coach have liao!!! But I tried the tour burner at the isetan sales and found it to be very easy for my swing... does hitting in cage (like those in isetan) and range have diff?
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 am

you can't see your ball flight! i feel the cage is more for seeing how the club feels at impact and whether you like how it swings rather than how far or straight you strike the ball. i just swung the mx200 today and it felt superb at impact and i managed to swing it very easy. Smile

just my 2 cents! Razz

and i'm looking for new clubs too! but there's this tricky business of what shafts and flex to go for and i guess the only way is to go for professional advice! haha did your coach tell you what to look out for?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 8:10 am

jtek, if you haven't, take a read of the recent issue of Golf Asia. They did a very good review of all the popular iron sets out there, right from the "pro" blade versions to the cavity back irons for golfers who want to improve their game. A great article with lots of stats and feedback. I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:34 am

Bro, want to try out my Titty 735? It a game improvement but not a SUPER game improvement. We can exchange for 1 week to get yourself convinced or confirmed that it is mainly due to the club (anyway I only play once a week on Sunday). Let me know if you want to take up my offer, rest assure that I will 'jaga' (look after) your clubs with tlc.
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 am

I would recommend the following:

1) Mizuno MP 57 (if you want something cheaper). This is actually last season's model but imo, its really good. I think you can prob get a used set it for about SGD 500.

2) Big Fish prototype. Tried it in BFG before, nice feel and forgiving. Approximately SGD 800 - 1000 i think, depending on shaft. DGman, please correct me if i am wrong.

3) Ikasu CB. Very very good feel and forgiving. Not sure about the price now. Must check with DGman.

4) Ping irons. Highly recommended by S70B coz it got his fren Mowen became a single handicapper after changing to Ping. Anyway, i have heard alot of good things about Ping irons too. But the problem is that it looks really really ugly!!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 am

Okie, enough of the super long story... my question is:

What is the recommended irons for my current standard of play? I hope to get something to improve my game.

Thank you all for any feedback to help me on my choice of irons. Smile[/quote]

Maybe I am the one reading this wrongly...but recommendatiion will be to use 7iron and higher...and replace fairwood and higher irons with hybrid........
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:59 am

I think there'll be many different suggestions since irons, like any other club, suit different people differently. I think the Mizuno MX-25 are quite good. I also think that the Callaway X-20s and the Ping G-10s are a good buy.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 4:11 pm

yeah you just have to go demo them at isetan or suntec golf house and come back often and take your time! it is an investment and it pays to take the time to do the research and test the clubs out before you buy them. personally i find callys too heavy and pings quite chio so call me weird but it's all personal taste! haha
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 5:02 pm

ironfist wrote:
you can't see your ball flight! i feel the cage is more for seeing how the club feels at impact and whether you like how it swings rather than how far or straight you strike the ball. i just swung the mx200 today and it felt superb at impact and i managed to swing it very easy. Smile

just my 2 cents! Razz

and i'm looking for new clubs too! but there's this tricky business of what shafts and flex to go for and i guess the only way is to go for professional advice! haha did your coach tell you what to look out for?

I like the Tuor Burner impact feeling too...

Anyway, never ask my pro on what to get yet...
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestion... Will take them into consideration... Smile

I LUV GOLF REPUBLIC!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 5:14 pm

awww we love you too! like a brother! hahaha
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 pm

siaw8 wrote:
I would recommend the following:

1) Mizuno MP 57 (if you want something cheaper). This is actually last season's model but imo, its really good. I think you can prob get a used set it for about SGD 500.

2) Big Fish prototype. Tried it in BFG before, nice feel and forgiving. Approximately SGD 800 - 1000 i think, depending on shaft. DGman, please correct me if i am wrong.

3) Ikasu CB. Very very good feel and forgiving. Not sure about the price now. Must check with DGman.

4) Ping irons. Highly recommended by S70B coz it got his fren Mowen became a single handicapper after changing to Ping. Anyway, i have heard alot of good things about Ping irons too. But the problem is that it looks really really ugly!!

But then u get nightmares people calling u cheater !!! hahhahah ... Plus Putter 38 inch ... Cheater !!!

By the way off topic .... Kranji Greens fast today and sucker pins ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wat Irons for Me! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wat Irons for Me!   Wat Irons for Me! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wat Irons for Me!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next