Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Using Driver with smaller head

Go down 
+5
dunlookback
eiji
slinger
Batman
Duval_S
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Using Driver with smaller head Empty
PostSubject: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 8:21 pm

anyone here downgraded to smaller driver head ? Any reviews of the pros and cons?

I am planning to reduce to smaller head ie going back to my 400cc because felt that I get more control. not sure if this is my illusion but will game with my small head for next few just to test test.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm under the impression that bigger head = more distance; assuming all else being equal..

Gurus, please feel free to correct me and contribute your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 pm

this one i know......

solid contact/sweet spot=more distance
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Well said bro. Cos I just tried my 2nd hand driver (460cc version) few days back and it's TERRIBLE.
Hit ~20 balls and distance not more than 150m!! hahaha Laughing
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

i know becos i saw with my own eyes......let me recommend our GR beloved alvin to u

1st hole: driver more than 250m, so far that i feel like walking the entire carrefour.....wow

next hole: driver less than 2.5m, feels like going into a public toilet cubicle.....hahaha

thus i make this conclusion based on such oberservation.....

lol!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 pm

ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
dunlookback
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 pm

I have posted a similiar topic and DGman has explaination for it. You can do a search for his explaination. Quite chim regarding MOI etc.
For me, after going to 360 and 400c titleist 983k and 905s, my distance jumped. But the lack of forgiveness is pretty punishing at times. Lucky GB sold me a TS 701 at 445cc which looks smaller then its size to let me have balance of forgiveness and distance.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t25292-tour-issue-irons-taylormade-r
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm

im also waiting for GB to sell me his driver cyclops
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 pm

maybe is because of my limbs which are growing older. For the bigger heads, I sometimes felt that I have 'blockage' to finishing my swing...macam the bloody head is too heavy leh

Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 pm

bigger head, higher wind resistanct..

can try superdeep...
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 am

Duval_S wrote:
anyone here downgraded to smaller driver head ? Any reviews of the pros and cons?

I am planning to reduce to smaller head ie going back to my 400cc because felt that I get more control. not sure if this is my illusion but will game with my small head for next few just to test test.

Batman wrote:
I'm under the impression that bigger head = more distance; assuming all else being equal..

Gurus, please feel free to correct me and contribute your thoughts.

To my experience, bigger heads do not always mean bigger distance. While DGman once said (dig it up, it's a thread not too long ago) one of the most important thing in CHOOSING a driver is how its look inspire confidence to you at address. It might be just me but it could be the most advance, the most expensive and the newest driver out there on the market but if I don't like how it looks at address that driver won't make it into my bag no matter what. Usually I am not gonna hit it that well, either. Psychological? I'd say: 100%!

But technically, this is what I understand... Smaller head tend to give you better workability due to its 'less-forgiving' nature. 'Better' players prefer smaller heads than bigger ones because it gives them the freedom to manipulate the ball more easily than the bigger ones.

On the other hand, bigger heads (while designed in the the right directions) will generally give us (mere-mortals, less-skilled players, whatever you wanna call yourself) more balls on the fairway due to its forgiving nature. I think bigger heads technically just give you that much bigger sweet-spot, thus more room for error at impact that would still result in a somewhat straight shot.

So, in this case, whether or not it gives you control is entirely up to you: what kind of 'control' are you looking for? Is it to control the ball and make it go fade or draw on command? Or is it to control the ball so that it won't go right or left on an errand shot? I suspect, in the case of 'better' players, they meant the former. And in the hands of mere-mortals, less-skilled players (whatever you wanna call yourself) you meant the latter.

This is supposed to be a gentlemen's game, where you have to be honest with yourself, for the sake of the others playing with or alongside you. So, whether or not to play a smaller or bigger head is for you and only you to decide. After all, it is YOU who enjoy that drive! Wink
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:55 am

Ask Ghoonk, he was using a smaller driver head and hitting far with it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Driver with smaller head   Using Driver with smaller head I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using Driver with smaller head
Page 1 of 1