Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Torque of shafts & how it affects us?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

Torque of shafts & how it affects us? Empty
PostSubject: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Calling gurus & fitters, anyone care to shed some light on the above subject?

I read somewhere that shaft torque is passé, & not so important in modern shafts anymore. The main point was that with modern shaft weaving technologies, all the shafts are more stable, thus not much twisting problems. It went on to explain that flex & kickpoint are bigger factors when choosing shafts.

But I am just curious if the torque will affect the flight of the golf balls, or it merely feels different at impact?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Not a guru nor a fitter but here is my take:

Its not passé. I feel that no matter how advance those weaving n heaving of new shafts are, it is still important to play the torque that is suited to your swing. Torque, flex and kickpoint work as a fine balance to having a shaft that is suitable for you.

This short article from Tom Wishon still holds true and will answer most of your questions. What you have heard before I feel is mostly marketing hype from manufacturers trying to drum up interest in their latest and greatest technology of their equipment.

Torque of shafts and how it affects us
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Some shaft fitting info from Hireko.
I personally have not read most of the website. There was a time when I was very into such golf-geek stuff; nowadays I prefer to leave it to my clubfitter..8)

Click on the individual link chapters.
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 7:43 pm

hope you don't mind i borrow yr thread.

Was wondering the importance of shaft weight also. My ss only ~85mph for driver, by right should need lighter shaft to increase ss? however, I seems to hit heavier shaft better. Had a 65g on driver and 75g on my 3 and 5 hybrids... Fitting usually entails flex, cpm, length, torque but no mention of weight. So is it important? With my ss, a fitter will recommend a lighter shaft... is it because more of other factors happen to match that's why I'm hitting heavier shaft better? Will I benefit from a lighter shaft with 'proper' flex, cpm, torque etc?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm

alangolf wrote:
hope you don't mind i borrow yr thread.

Was wondering the importance of shaft weight also. My ss only ~85mph for driver, by right should need lighter shaft to increase ss? however, I seems to hit heavier shaft better. Had a 65g on driver and 75g on my 3 and 5 hybrids... Fitting usually entails flex, cpm, length, torque but no mention of weight. So is it important? With my ss, a fitter will recommend a lighter shaft... is it because more of other factors happen to match that's why I'm hitting heavier shaft better? Will I benefit from a lighter shaft with 'proper' flex, cpm, torque etc?
My 2cents (non golf-guru or pro clubfitter); take with a pinch of salt:

In proper fitting the shaft weight is definitly taken into consideration. Shaft weight affects the total weight of a club more than any other single factor. The total weight and swingweight/MOI are very important elements in fitting the golfer's swing, especially since it affects the swing tempo, rhythm and timing. This will ultimately help you achieve on center hits and therfore more distance and greater accuracy.

Therefore the fitter should not just fit you with a lighter shaft merely based on swing speed. The lighter shaft may help increase clubhead speed, but without the proper overall weight/sw/MOI your ball striking suffers. Also not all golfers can adapt to lighter shaft weight no matter what you do with the swing weight (weight in head/different grip weights, etc).

Hehehe.. you never mention anything bend profile fo shafts??? Another factor to consider and confuse? Wink So maybe you can find a guy with a launch monitor and see actual numbers with different shaft configurations, and test what feels right for you.
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 pm

yeah bend profile important cyclops so many factor to get the right shaft. still have colour, look and brand. Must like these periherals also... bright side is at least now duff the shot still can blame on the shaft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torque of shafts & how it affects us?   Torque of shafts & how it affects us? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Torque of shafts & how it affects us?
Page 1 of 1