Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club Fitting - what does it entail?

Go down 
+22
yelnats
DGman
S70B
Right_sided_coach
Dstruc
nientsu
watermyforrest
shotah
AXIV
Technospaz
grooveballer
ironfist
G_Man
mervyntan
solarpop
sniffydog
Roystonnn
weesern
Lamts18
Ssquirrel
jaketang
golfdiva
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
golfdiva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfdiva

Club Fitting - what does it entail? Empty
PostSubject: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 pm

I am thinking of upgrading my beginner set and a friend says I should get club fitted.

What is club fitting ? Does it mean I go buy a set and get a pro to change the shaft etc to suit my swing speed and so on? Or will the club fitter evaluate and recommend the brands of clubs that they are licensed to club fit.

Is it expensive and neccessary?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:35 pm

you can call and arrange for appt at the den, they are very helpful, friendly and will not purposely make u spend $$$. Smile

http://www.bigfishes.com/

look for eric
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Can go Golf House for Mizuno; chilli golf (keppel) for titleist..etc..etc...
Think there is a thread out there somewhat same question?
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:07 pm

My 2 cents.... club fitting entails finding the right tools for your body type, setup and swing speed... IMHO, its advisable to have a more or less stable swing before going down the path of club fitting. Different club fitters carry their house brands and will recommend these. try them out and see if you like them. some players can't stand offset irons and others can only play non offset clubs.. there is also ball fitting.. (hope it doesn't confuse you Smile).. i.e. finding the ball to suit you... if one does not have adequate clubhead speed and good impact, ProV1s or the more expensive ones is a waste of money (again, its my opinion)...
If you have an existing golf set, you and bring those and your golf shoe down to Big Fish Golf for a free analysis and advise.

My past personal experience is i blame everything else except myself so i bought many clubs.. which is a waste of money in retrospect. So i now try to work on a having a more repeatable swing. Remember, it the Indian and not the arrow. Cheers and enjoy the game of golf.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfdiva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfdiva

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
My 2 cents.... club fitting entails finding the right tools for your body type, setup and swing speed... IMHO, its advisable to have a more or less stable swing before going down the path of club fitting. Different club fitters carry their house brands and will recommend these. try them out and see if you like them. some players can't stand offset irons and others can only play non offset clubs.. there is also ball fitting.. (hope it doesn't confuse you Smile).. i.e. finding the ball to suit you... if one does not have adequate clubhead speed and good impact, ProV1s or the more expensive ones is a waste of money (again, its my opinion)...
If you have an existing golf set, you and bring those and your golf shoe down to Big Fish Golf for a free analysis and advise.

My past personal experience is i blame everything else except myself so i bought many clubs.. which is a waste of money in retrospect. So i now try to work on a having a more repeatable swing. Remember, it the Indian and not the arrow. Cheers and enjoy the game of golf.. Very Happy

Great advice there.. thanks..
Hmm.. i read somewhere that Lamts18 is very rich .. so its true lol!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm

not trying to promote BFG, brought my frds, all real beginners, there for swing analysis. Eric is very nice to spare some of his time on them. he let them know what shaft they should look for when buying a set of new clubs. Or they can find clubheads that are pleasing to their eyes and change the shafts and grips to suit their swing. Since that day, I followed what he said and look for club by how much I like the club head. Clubheads have its technology as well, but if u dun like how it looks, u dun feel like using them. for me I dun like square drivers...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:51 pm

golfdiva wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

Great advice there.. thanks..
Hmm.. i read somewhere that Lamts18 is very rich .. so its true lol!

Don't believe what you hear or read ... there are others super super rich.. no point comparing.. I think we are all rich in a sense that we are healthy enough to pursue this game of golf.. years ago, i overheard two old men talking in the changing room... one was telling the other how bad he played.. the other told him every day they can play golf is a blessing so just be contended with what life and God gives us...
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Actually, I have a basic question..

When do we know that we should look for clubfitter?
Sometimes, I am quite puzzled if it's my swing or the club.

Recently, I visited Toa Payoh range and tried the Casio high speed camera for free.
I took shots of me using woods & 7i.

For both clubs, the shaft whipped back at downswing 45degree.
When I read magazine, pros shaft whipped at point of impact on the ball.

Question:
1) Will changing shaft help?
2) or is there anyway to adjust me swing to whip at correct place?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:03 pm

There a shaft with different flexes built for a specific swing speed and characteristics. In my humble opinion, its more important to find the correct shaft to suit you and rather than adjusting your swing to suit the shaft. when you you the right shaft with the optimum flex point and stiffness, it will give you the whip you need without you adjusting for it .. provided you're not throwing and casting the club on the downswing.. i may be wrong here... and appreciate the Gurus here for correcting me... cheers.. Smile
Back to top Go down
sniffydog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
sniffydog

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 pm

for irons, is there a service package to get fitted in terms of perhaps lie angle, shaft length, swing weight etc without changing the existing shafts? I mean by going down one level of customization, short of replacing the shafts.
Is it not recommended due to some technical reasons?

If that is possible, how do clubfitters charge for this service? We cannot expect FOC mahz.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Roystonnn wrote:
Actually, I have a basic question..

When do we know that we should look for clubfitter?
Sometimes, I am quite puzzled if it's my swing or the club.

Very Happy

I'm not really the kind that will promote any business or whatever.. but i can vouch that Eric from you-know-where is honest enough to tell you whether you need to change equipment or see a coach. So no harm paying him a visit to have your questions answered..

To relate my personal experience.. I had the same queries you had. The first time i went down last december, he said my swing seemed too upright, but since i was hitting the ball well he didn't want to give me tips in case it screwed up my game. He then went on to assess my swing speed vs equipment. My shafts were regular graphite at that time, and told me that ALL my shafts were too soft, but only strongly recommended that i change my maruman 3W shaft first because this one was way off (shaft too long, flex was actually A instead of R). Instead of immediately recommending something and making me pay for it, he actually lent me 2 fairway woods with different shafts AND another 6 iron with a KBS shaft, and told me to go try until i shiok. I did, and a week later i changed my 3W shaft, another week later then i returned the 6 iron. I must have caused some inconvenience to him coz that 6 iron was also fitted with an ikasu CB, and was probably his test club for potential customers, but he never once pressured me to return the club sooner. What more can you ask for when it comes to good service..

Since then, my whole set has changed - this after almost 4 years using the same equipment, and i'm definitely playing better than before. Did that club fitting experience benefit me? Definitely.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:47 pm

sniffydog wrote:
for irons, is there a service package to get fitted in terms of perhaps lie angle, shaft length, swing weight etc without changing the existing shafts? I mean by going down one level of customization, short of replacing the shafts.
Is it not recommended due to some technical reasons?

If that is possible, how do clubfitters charge for this service? We cannot expect FOC mahz.

I would think that what you're suggesting is actually going one level UP. If the shafts are not suitable in the first place, adjusting your lie and length won't really help much.. so usually ppl change shafts before doing the rest. Club-fitters do charge for lie and length adjustments - check with them for the rates. Btw you can't adjust lie angles unless your irons are forged.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:00 pm

sniffydog wrote:

few dollars per club for workmanship i guess
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:06 pm

mervyntan wrote:
sniffydog wrote:

few dollars per club for workmanship i guess

Gotta include the initial assessment also.. impact tape costs money leh
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Hrmmm....
Club Fitting - What does it entail?

The first course of action would be to go see one and have a conversation with him or her. If they dont have time to talk to you then and if they cant seem to address the initial questions, Bringing shoes and clubs wont/shouldnt help...

A club fitter must be able to see you swing, see how your clubs react to your swing, and then how to ball reacts to your clubs. Thats all actually....

They can alter some aspects of your equipment, or recommend you change your entire set (once saw a huge guy who couldnt control his shots. No wonder, Ladies flex. But he bought the set as he liked the colors of the shafts.)
Regardless of what you are recommended, the decision is up to the buyer... But you have to be as comfortable with the fitter as you are with being fitted....

The more important question is what do you expect of a Club Fitter?
Back to top Go down
sniffydog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
sniffydog

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm

solarpop wrote:

I would think that what you're suggesting is actually going one level UP. If the shafts are not suitable in the first place, adjusting your lie and length won't really help much.. so usually ppl change shafts before doing the rest. Club-fitters do charge for lie and length adjustments - check with them for the rates. Btw you can't adjust lie angles unless your irons are forged.

thanks for the answers!
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 am

omg this thread just makes me even more gian to go down to you know where to get fitted for everything! from driver right down to putter. haha and judging by everyone's responses, there's no harm in going down just to ask ask right? Smile

quick question though; i'm currently deciding on graphite or steel shafts for a new set that i'm gonna get. i'm not very tall (168) and i don't have a high swing speed. so should i go for the graphite even if it's more expensive? or just have golf house fit me?
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:17 am

ironfist wrote:
omg this thread just makes me even more gian to go down to you know where to get fitted for everything! from driver right down to putter. haha and judging by everyone's responses, there's no harm in going down just to ask ask right? Smile

quick question though; i'm currently deciding on graphite or steel shafts for a new set that i'm gonna get. i'm not very tall (168) and i don't have a high swing speed. so should i go for the graphite even if it's more expensive? or just have golf house fit me?

It would be best to see a clubfitter and listen to the recommendations. I would recommend Eric at Big Fish. Plus, BFG is a great community of golfers and you'll always have someone to chat golf with. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am

ironfist wrote:

Before you make any decisions, go see Eric. You'll be surprised that what you want may not be what you need. Aside from Eric, there's also Calvin, Jeff and YL who can help out. Plus, if you go at the correct times... there are heaps of GR regulars who just sit down and tcss... all of whom are happy to offer some feedback Smile
Back to top Go down
AXIV
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:32 am

Club fitting entails the 3 following things:
1. A precision fitting method that uses multiple test clubs with diverse characteristics always aimed at identifying a configuration that suits the the player best.
2. A fitting professional specially schooled in club science, swing analysis and precision fitiing.
3. Quality clubs individually constructed to the specifications determined in the fitting session.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 am

AXIV PMed me too to tell me that he has the equipment for the analysis too.

AXIV, mebe you can tell the bros and sistas here on your address so they can get a second opinion.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 am

Finally, a direct plain vanilla answer...

Hopefully golfdiva still reads this.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:50 am

I was typing a reply to this but somehow it didnt get posted...

Anyway, there are various club fitters in Singapore.
Maybe shopping around will suit better.
As we have had good results and great interactions with Eric at BFG, I guess we are a bit biased. Some of us have never left.

What to bring down:
7i, Driver, shoes, Glove, and an open mind.

Dont be surprised if Eric turns you away and recommends lessons instead.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

G_Man wrote:
What to bring down:
7i, Driver, shoes, Glove, and an open mind.

I agree. In addition, you need to come as if you're going to play golf, i.e. wear your golf gear. Don't come in office attire etc. It makes analysing your swing more tricky since you don't play golf in office attire. You need to be able to swing your club naturally so golf attire is best.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:15 am

Guys, AXIV's dad has a shop in Ubi, maybe we can all go down and have a look.

AXIV, possibile to give your dad's Golf Studio address? Also looking forward to your dad's write up next month on the free golf paper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting - what does it entail?   Club Fitting - what does it entail? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Fitting - what does it entail?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next