Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What makes a Better Golfer

Go down 
+8
Duval_S
nutty88
G_Man
benhogan
m0i
Ssquirrel
Right_sided_coach
DGman
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

What makes a Better Golfer Empty
PostSubject: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:05 am

I spent an hour recently talking to a teaching pro. He is in my opinion a very knowledgeable but underrated teaching pro because he seldom communicates his knowledge openly.

His summary of how golfers can improve is interesting and worth some thoughts.

He breaks down his students into 3 categories:

A. The Ready Adopter
B. The Wait and See Follower
C. The Skeptic

Its interesting that a simple key toss can reveal the personality of the each category of golfer.

He has developed for 4 main areas in the following order that makes a golfer plays better:

1. Attitude

The golfer must have the yen to excel. To do so, he or she must develop the commitment for time, physical training and playing at a regular basis and most importantly understand why he or she wants to play golf in the first place.

With the right attitude comes the aptitude for improvement and mental approach for the game.

2. The Swing that Works

Everyone is built differently - physique and physically strength. The key to improve one swing is finding the right swing type to match the physical abilities on one self and work at improving that swing to a level that will enables a golfer to swing consistently for 14 driveable holes , 30 strokes in a normal game and breaking 30 putts. Its not so difficult but that’s the difference between a scratch golfer and a 24 handicapper.

3. Equipment that Fit

We are not talking customized equipment here. Just the right choice of club heads, whether is a old school low MOI or High MOI golf clubs is something that golfers know little about. They tend to leave the choice to salesman or their golfing kakis not knowing that when they have to stare down at their driver, irons or putters for 18 holes, is a choice the golfer have to make themselves. If you are currently using a blade, just switch to a cavity and find out whether it will work for you.
Weight of shaft, shaft flex, shaft balance, kickpoint and shaft torque are all critical in supporting the swing characteristic and speed of the golfer.

4. Mental Management

If we have a game plan from the start, it will usually result in better scores. But from the golfers perspective, the Game of Golf may not be just about score, it goes back to point one, your aptitude. What do you want your golf to be? That answer lies with the golfer themselves and only they know their own objective.

For the serious golfers who want to shoot low scores every time they tee up, they must be prepared to play with a game plan. If one is playing the course for the first time, some prior knowledge and a plan to play those holes will be instrumental in getting them on track.

On a side note, I have a friend who passed away some years back, he was a golfer and all his years of playing golf, he has broken 100 twice. I had the honour of playing with him in one of the 2 occasions and a big celebration followed suit. Needless to say, he was ecstatic and he appears a lot happier than SSquirrel who played 77 last Saturday. The difference between the 2 is their aptitude to the game. One seek perfection, the other seek enjoyment.

Whoever you are, the game of golf is something you want it to be and it you do not have a goal, no amount of knowledge, instructions and equipment is going to make you a better golfer than you already are.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:18 am

Smart Man...very valid points
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:26 am

Good points.. but eh.. why must mention my nick leh... confused
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 am

comparison between the late Mr Ang and you lor....now everyone knows you shot 77, not happy itsit.

DGman
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 am

Clap hands and feet. Well said.
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
Good points.. but eh.. why must mention my nick leh... confused

Promote the status of the golfers here?
Seems everyone is a beginner and shoot high scores?
Well done squirrel. cheers
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:38 am

SS, he was trying to make a point la.. you are a buaya!!!

But totally agree... As I have heard all of this from the man (Just guessing here, but I think I know who) I can honestly say that his methods make a lot of sense... He actually got me to hit balls in a different mental frame.
This is the guy that was shouting in the back ground while I was at the Den trying to break 300 on your simulator. He was shouting: Harder, Harder, Harder!!!

After which he made a simple comment to me that got me thinking:
"Well my friend, I hope you dont hit like that on the course, If not better buy more balls... If you dont know where it will go, dont hit like that... Try to take is easier... See how..."

And it worked! Less effort, more distance and far more confidence.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 pm

SS, so impressive. 180m drive can come in gross 77. Why is your official handicap still so high leh? Still dare to tell me your game is not on. Really makes me wonder what would be your gross is your game is ON! 67?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:19 pm

I just want to make 2 comments:

1. Appreciate the sharing by DGMan and cant agree more.

2. During the recent British Open, it just dawn on me that I start to appreciate and respect Mr.Watson more....the way he react when his shot is good, when he has a bad lie...no slamming iron....truly dignified.....unlike the golfer of my generation....alamak...a bit emotional and very 'fluent' in 'french words'
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm

nutty88 wrote:
SS, so impressive. 180m drive can come in gross 77. Why is your official handicap still so high leh? Still dare to tell me your game is not on. Really makes me wonder what would be your gross is your game is ON! 67?

Nb.. Sunday shot 97 lor.... Embarassed
Somedays I lucky...somedays not...
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

when u lucky u shot 77.... wah!! Why I not so lucky?? Sad
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
nutty88 wrote:

97? Experimental round?
Or play left handed.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Boys, lets not side track topic...

DGMan, thanks for insightful thoughts on golf. Sometime, I too forget why I play golf - enjoyment or trying too hard. Thanks for the correction...
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Dude, side tracking is fun...
Look at Shotah, now every post is a must read to look out for his OTs.

Anyway, This guys is a great Pro. I had a fundamental change to my swing from training with him that got me more distance and more importantly more accuracy. Great experience!!!
Back to top Go down
JL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JL

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Dun wanna match against SSquirrel~
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
nutty88 wrote:

I met Squirrel at the Den. Saw him swing the club. I don't think he scored 77'lah. I say most likely a typo. Should be 75 or so.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 am

Sunday SS was fooling around and shot 88...9 strokes also want to cheat...what 97?

now that the secret is out, maybe your poll rating for buaya status will improve..

but seriously the points i have shared will be our credo for club fitting. if you do not have the attitude and the swing, please don't think that club fitting will solve your problem.

DGman
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:32 am

to be able to score well, one have to play within his own ability... in other words, dun anyhow cheong... rather take a higher % shot than to hope the ball will go the way u want or the distance u hope to achieve.

Recognise what u can usually do or cannot do... leave the cannot do to the range and pactise until it is can usually do then use it on the course...

At least thats how my score improves from 110+ to <100
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a Better Golfer   What makes a Better Golfer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What makes a Better Golfer
Page 1 of 1