Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to improve from bogeys to par

Go down 
+24
weesern
botak
tronos
Derek
slinger
golf_snowman
Winston
Salty Dog
poresia
blee67
eden
Yarra
JonL_TK
daveaha
pushslice
Tian
darenlim
robert33
joshcct
Cyp_PGA
oned10t
Duval_S
eiji
ChrisD
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Derek wrote:
I started tracking my shots when I got the Golfshot app on the iphone. The statistics in the game made me realise that my weaknesses were not exactly where I thought they were. I always thought that putting was costing me a lot of strokes, but analysis of the statistics is showing me that my GIR percentage is really bad (30%) and my scrambling is even worse (11.4% - which is combination of chips not close enough and missing 3-4 foot putts). My putts per GIR were actually not that bad (slightly more than 2 - i.e. occasional 3 putt).

I am using Golfshot apps on my iphone too..their statistics function is really useful Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:06 pm

darenlim wrote:
New Blood is good, good to have some coaches here that follows up on their students.
Glad to know that you have aiming for that at the end of the year.
Tian wants to be a single handicapper too and Jon is aiming to be a scratch handicapper.
Im aiming to maintain mine Smile

Good Luck Smile Practise Hard! That is the only way you can achieve your goals.
There is no easy way out.

I don't actually bother about handicap. Just hope to play like SxxB enough Liao.
That's my aim but seems so far away from him everytime I play.
So demoralizing..... That's the way of life.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:11 pm

ChrisD wrote:

I don't actually bother about handicap. Just hope to play like SxxB enough Liao.
That's my aim but seems so far away from him everytime I play.
So demoralizing..... That's the way of life.

if u put in the time n effort, i dun see why not.......

couple of years ago, i give mowen 5-5, nowadays we play level, he has improved 10 strokes over this time....... so if your ah bui fren can do it, u can too.....
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:20 am

But my target is to play level with SxxB.
Abit unreachable, mowen still get 3-3 from him.
Guess it will take me another decade to do that.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:14 am

ChrisD wrote:
But my target is to play level with SxxB.
Abit unreachable, mowen still get 3-3 from him.
Guess it will take me another decade to do that.

that takes time...
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
oned10t
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
oned10t

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:39 am

chris,
never say never
one day you will played like SxxB whoever that is
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:00 am

ask any coach, they will tell u that if the students give them time and effort, they can make them a better golfer.....

if u practise as hard as s70b, i dun see why u cant play like him or better than him....

personally, if i can devote much needed time to my game, i can/will/shall withdraw my $$$ in s70b ATM.....
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:10 am

I team up with him so no pay $$$ to him.... aircon bussssssss........ cool and nice.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:21 am

last two game 3 putt every hole, some holes 4 putts and even a few 5 putts. Only manage a 1 putt for one hole....... frustrating cause last game miss 3 easy birdie putts (end up with 2 bogey and 1 double bogey!!!!!)

got any advise beside going for lessons? (no $ for lessons but got a bit of $ for new putter Razz )
Back to top Go down
joshcct
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:47 am

err...sorry hor, can someone educate me what is GIR?
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:48 am

GIR = Greens In Regulation
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 12:14 pm

tronos wrote:
last two game 3 putt every hole, some holes 4 putts and even a few 5 putts. Only manage a 1 putt for one hole....... frustrating cause last game miss 3 easy birdie putts (end up with 2 bogey and 1 double bogey!!!!!)

got any advise beside going for lessons? (no $ for lessons but got a bit of $ for new putter Razz )

if ur approach shot gets ur ball closer to the hole, u will not need to make long putts.

or practise lag putts
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Its ok, I had seen worse off 6 putted, 6 on and 6 putts, 1 on 5 putts, etc...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm

weesern wrote:
tronos wrote:

if ur approach shot gets ur ball closer to the hole, u will not need to make long putts.

or practise lag putts

the 3 birdie chance landed not so far out, about 5m (one was 3m out), but when putt, pass the hole and end up another 5m away on the other side, then putt 'softer', another 2m the other side and so on until reach 'cannot miss' distance of 2 feet (even then will miss once in a while). Was using mallet then switch to napa, both same result....Sad

very frustrating especially after a good tee off and good approach.....whole day no birdie or par, even bogey is rare.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:35 pm

That's golf, got to concentrate on every shot and cannot lose concentration. Sometimes betting pressure will also runs in.....
So mental also applies. Therefore I will be going up the mountain to seek another level.
Back to top Go down
JoeYee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
JoeYee

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:45 pm

tronos wrote:

Trunos,

Yup, could be really frustrating. had that before on some days. But love to share this with you, and see if it helps.

For distance calibration -
I remembered reading an article interviewing Paula Creamer on her putting drills, and I found this pretty useful, before a game, she puts 3 balls in line each about 10 feet apart and then she starts from the closest to the furthest. Adjust your grip strength of the day to get that right feeling. Smile

For alignment calibration -
I do this little drill while waiting for others to go on, putt outside the green (NOT on the green as against regulation. I just drop two balls on the flat ground about 1 feet apart and I just smack them together like "GO LI". The impact should be almost square. Helps boost confidence as well.

Let me know whether this helps...
Back to top Go down
http://kyjoegolf.blogspot.com
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:50 am

I 2nd the motion...
Short Game + Practice Putting.

eiji wrote:
short game!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi, guys

Really enjoying this thread. My take away from reading all these
1. Got to start analyzing my game by writing down codes on scorecard. Don't be lazy!
2. Improve on weaknesses based on analysis
3. Learn from good players how to handle different situations especially near green

I work as an engineer and usually we analyzed a lot to find root cause to tackle the issue. I realized I did not apply this to golf at all. Just go to the course and left disappointed without knowing the reason.

To those single handicappers, do you shape the shot a lot? I was wondering why many pros prefer to draw their shots.... Does draw shot has advantages over straight one? I am talking about both tee and approach shot here.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:42 pm

taskie wrote:
To those single handicappers, do you shape the shot a lot? I was wondering why many pros prefer to draw their shots.... Does draw shot has advantages over straight one? I am talking about both tee and approach shot here.
Looks cooler to shape shots!!!
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 7:06 pm

The reason why we have to shape shots its because :-

1) we cannot hit it the other way round / or we cant hit it straight
2) depending on the approach for a green, we shape a shot so that we do not miss on the wrong side.
3) the hole requires us to shape it.

Personally, I shape a shot to a certain hole as I do not want to miss it on the wrong side. My natural shot for my driver and short irons are fade / long to mid irons are draw.

Meanwhile, if any of you guys have charted out your scorecards and need help in identifying weak areas in your game. Please feel free to scan your cards and send it to my email. darenlim@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I take a very simplistic view of how to play good golf.....I categorized them into 3 sections...

#1 Mental

#2 Equipment

#3 Physical and swing and course management

for me, I console myself that I am mentally strong..ie I know what I want.....#2 I have super max forgiving equipment.....and only lacking is #3

In other words...I console myself that I am 2/3 to reaching my full potential......(PS: just that I have been at the same stage for a long long time)
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 9:56 pm

if u analyse too much during the game, it will get worse, should do the analysis after the game and make adjustment for the next game.

agree with Daren, on shot shaping, sometimes either u try to shape your shot or lay up.

also u dun wan to miss the wrong side. for this bad shot is taken into consideration, if the safe area is on the left of the pin, u may try to fade the ball. even if the ball does not fade, you will not get into too much trouble.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:30 am

Golf is a game of playing the percentages in terms of course management.

High handicappers like me try to pull off low percentage of success 'miracle' shots that usually end up in worse places than the original lies--like hitting from the rough thru some trees and end up back in the rough about 10 metres further cos the ball hits a tree branch.

Now I just pitch or punch it back into play on the fairway even if I have to hit it back towards the tee box.

Only one time in Thailand (Nichigo GC) did a ball hit a few branches and landed on the green AND rolled into the hole. My final score must have been 120+ but the caddies thought I was a skilled golfer!

Surprised
Back to top Go down
oned10t
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
oned10t

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 6:50 pm

for golf you need determination and hardwork which will then lead to success
and that depends on your desire Smile
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm

oned10t wrote:
for golf you need determination and hardwork which will then lead to success
and that depends on your desire Smile

Well said Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to improve from bogeys to par   How to improve from bogeys to par - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to improve from bogeys to par
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3