Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

can you tell?

Go down 
+8
Ssquirrel
and68low
Cyp_PGA
weesern
golf_snowman
darenlim
mizzy
ironhead
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:36 pm

clever ppl out there....can you 'hazard' a guess?

assuming OB is left so as the water hazard.

can you tell? 23865_1421063249134_1309277630_31244784_4664646_n

Last edited by ironhead on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 pm

is it like football? the ball must completely cross the line?
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 pm

only A is safe, the rest are not.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:10 pm

B and C need to take penalty how many stroke ?
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:21 pm

B : Penalty 1 stroke - Rehit from tee
C : Penalty 1 stroke - drop ball within 2 club length from point of entry not nearer to the hole.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:32 pm

darenlim wrote:
C : Penalty 1 stroke - drop ball within 2 club length from point of entry not nearer to the hole.

bro, in case B, can don't rehit from tee? most times cannot go back as people waitting to tee off behind already.

also, for case C, it means the next shot is the 3rd stroke. if in case B you choose to play from there and not at the tee, it means that shot is the 4th stroke?
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:43 pm

mizzy wrote:
darenlim wrote:

bro, in case B, can don't rehit from tee? most times cannot go back as people waitting to tee off behind already.

also, for case C, it means the next shot is the 3rd stroke. if in case B you choose to play from there and not at the tee, it means that shot is the 4th stroke?

Case B : This rule applies when you are playing in competition and it is the proper rule. If you are talking about social play, yes you can drop wherever you want depending on your flight mate and play off your 4th shot.

Case C : This rule applies when you are playing in competition and it is the proper rule. Social or Competition, the rule applies and you hit your 3rd shot as you are dropping from point of entry. You are not required to rehit from the tee-box.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm

darenlim wrote:
mizzy wrote:
darenlim wrote:

Case B : This rule applies when you are playing in competition and it is the proper rule. If you are talking about social play, yes you can drop wherever you want depending on your flight mate and play off your 4th shot.

Case C : This rule applies when you are playing in competition and it is the proper rule. Social or Competition, the rule applies and you hit your 3rd shot as you are dropping from point of entry. You are not required to rehit from the tee-box.

yes i think i remember something like this.. its better to have your ball go totally out? because you could be hitting your 4th shot and not your 3rd shot.. sigh.. so crazy rules..
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:04 pm

answer to the 2 questions....

All in bound and all in hazard.

for OB>the entire golf ball has to be out of the white lines for it to be considered OB, if it touches the line, it;s still in play.
for hazard> the line demarcates the margin of the hazard and the line itself is the margin of the hazard, you touch the line, you r in the hazard.

p/s dropping within 2 club length is only applicable for lateral water hazard (usually marked by red line/stakes)

p/s rules are rules, it's a good practice to play according to the rules even during social/friendly play, otherwise, you may as well drop yr ball onto the green with yr hands. contrary to what many would assume, it does not take any more time to play by the rules.

Last edited by ironhead on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:48 am

from my memory, the line is part of the ob and hazard.

For ob, as long as its considered ob, retake from the last played position.

For hazard, if you want to go diving, by all means just that club cannot hv contact with ground or plants.

need to check the rules book again
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 am

for OB ... u got to played from the shot just before the best is too use provisional ball if u not sure ....

for hazard u can play even if its in like michelle did but cannot practice inside every time u touch the ground ....
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am

I got it wrong Sad fail!
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 am

ironhead wrote:

for OB>the entire golf ball has to be out of the white lines for it to be considered OB, if it touches the line, it;s still in play.
for hazard> the line demarcates the margin of the hazard and the line itself is the margin of the hazard, you touch the line, you r in the hazard.

p/s dropping within 2 club length is only applicable for lateral water hazard (usually marked by red line/stakes)

p/s rules are rules, it's a good practice to play according to the rules even during social/friendly play, otherwise, you may as well drop yr ball onto the green with yr hands. contrary to what many would assume, it does not take any more time to play by the rules.
ound

Er correction on your ......... IF ball touches the line or on the line of a OB line, mark or imaginary, it is out of bound and it is not in play!!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 am

darenlim wrote:
I got it wrong Sad fail!

U dun get into such situations of coz not familiar lah

OB and hazards are my good friends

Last edited by weesern on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 am

err.....i start to get confuse liao...keke

scratch

need to go study

HELP White Flag[left]
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 am

ironhead wrote:

scratch

A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds
When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds albino
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 am

if ball is OB, and you take a drop instead of gg back to tee (in a friendly game), the shot you are taking shld be the 3rd shot rite?

or is it the 4th?
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Gray wrote:
if ball is OB, and you take a drop instead of gg back to tee (in a friendly game), the shot you are taking shld be the 3rd shot rite?

or is it the 4th?

u can not take a drop in OB. if u think yr ball has gone OB, re-tee and tht would be yr 3rd shot. if u r unsure, play a provisional(then u will never hav to be made to walk the walk-of-shame). Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 pm

i hope this will clear things up. Smile Smile

Out of Bounds
"Out of bounds" is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course so marked by the Committee.
When out of bounds is defined by reference to stakes or a fence or as being beyond stakes or a fence, the out of bounds line is determined by the nearest inside points at ground level of the stakes or fence posts (excluding angled supports). When both stakes and lines are used to indicate out of bounds, the stakes identify out of bounds and the lines define out of bounds. When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds. The out of bounds line extends vertically upwards and downwards.
A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds. A player may stand out of bounds to play a ball lying within bounds.

Water Hazard
A "water hazard" is any sea, lake, pond, river, ditch, surface drainage ditch or other open water course (whether or not containing water) and anything of a similar nature on the course . All ground and water within the margin of a water hazard are part of the water hazard.
When the margin of a water hazard is defined by stakes, the stakes are inside the water hazard, and the margin of the hazard is defined by the nearest outside points of the stakes at ground level. When both stakes and lines are used to indicate a water hazard, the stakes identify the hazard and the lines define the hazard margin. When the margin of a water hazard is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is in the water hazard. The margin of a water hazard extends vertically upwards and downwards.
A ball is in a water hazard when it lies in or any part of it touches the water hazard.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:40 pm

ironhead wrote:
i hope this will clear things up. Smile Smile

Out of Bounds
"Out of bounds" is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course so marked by the Committee.
When out of bounds is defined by reference to stakes or a fence or as being beyond stakes or a fence, the out of bounds line is determined by the nearest inside points at ground level of the stakes or fence posts (excluding angled supports). When both stakes and lines are used to indicate out of bounds, the stakes identify out of bounds and the lines define out of bounds. When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds. The out of bounds line extends vertically upwards and downwards.
A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds. A player may stand out of bounds to play a ball lying within bounds.

If the line itself is out of bounds, and the all of the ball lies on the line (pic B); the line by definition is itself out of bounds??...
So pic B, ball is out of bounds?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 pm

a. Out of Bounds (white lines)

Ball A is in bounds, Ball B & C out of bounds.

b. Water Hazards (yellow lines)

Ball A, B & C are in the water hazards.
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 11:26 pm

it's amazing tht despite regurgitating the rules fr R&A word for word, there are some still misinterpreting it wrongly. Shocked

but this is the reason I raised this in the first place, to bring it into discussion and make others aware of the ruling. Who knows, you may be faced with the same situation this weekend. Would you rather risk playing the wrong ball and be penalised with 2 extra strokes?

I say again, this is not an April Fool's joke.

Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 am

ironhead wrote:
it's amazing tht despite regurgitating the rules fr R&A word for word, there are some still misinterpreting it wrongly. Shocked Wink Wink

Are you saying Alan is wrong? The OB line is OB, so if the ball is sitting on the line it is OB... piture A not all of the ball is on the line so it is safe....

Quite easy really.... Very Happy

This has happened to me before in a tournament... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Keep the "What ifs" coming Ironhead. Excellent stuff!
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:18 pm

guys, i really cant squeeze blood out of a stone, rules r rules, i didnt invent them ........Shocked

so the answer will be again.... all not OB, all in hazards.

happy golfing Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

can you tell? Empty
PostSubject: Re: can you tell?   can you tell? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

can you tell?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Golf Rules & Etiquette-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.