Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?

Go down 
+7
Roystonnn
jimmychoo
shorthitter
Technospaz
shotah
G_Man
kopiO
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? Empty
PostSubject: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 am

We were short of the green, on our approaches. I was about 8 ft from green and my flight mate was 5 ft directly in front of me.

I was not feeling confident of chipping or pitching there and then, and i was really thinking of putting the ball in (fringe and green was quite flat). But the prob was my flight mate was on the line.

So, juz curious as to whether can I ask him to mark his ball, and perhaps even shift the marker by one putter head length, as per on green?

For that scenario, my flightmate flatly said cannot, and I dun wan to argue. Ended with a lousy chip and 2 putts. Thinking back, really may have a better chance to par if i putt in (properly)...
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Well, Bro, I dont know the answer to your question. But your choice of flight mates is intersting. I would suspect that yes, you can request for him to mark. Even though you guys are not on the green yet. As the ball could interfer with your intended play.

Who is your flight mate arh? I want a game with him!!!
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:54 pm

i do not think can mark leh unless the ball is in the clubs swing path. Anybody can advice? I would like to know too.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:55 pm

I also think that you can't mark but I'm not sure if I have sufficient basis to say so.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 pm

22-2. Ball Interfering with Play
Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that the ball of another player might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.

A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21).

In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

Note: Except on the putting green, a player may not lift his ball solely because he considers that it might interfere with the play of another player. If a player lifts his ball without being asked to do so, he incurs a penalty of one stroke for a breach of Rule 18-2a, but there is no additional penalty under Rule 22.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Bro Shotah, you would have told the flight mate:

Heh CB, Nimpeh not asking you for permission leh, Nimpeh telling you to mark your F-ing ball!!!

Anyway, can mark la... only logical right? What if you really try to putt up and your ball hits his ball? who takes the penalty?
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:11 pm

But if the ball is on the fringe, he cannot clean the ball leh.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 pm

You can ask him to mark anywhere, even in fairway if they too close together, but he is not allowed to clean it... even he put in his pocket is deemed to be cleaning..

You see on tv they hold very carefully between index finger and thumb in front of them so cannot be accused.

Perfectly ok to ask partner to mark ball.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 pm

That's why I'm not a rulesman.

Thanks folks Smile
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Usually I will ask the front ball that obstruct me to go ahead and hit first. If not he will have to hold the ball in between his fingers while I am doing the chipping. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I will Mark his "Balls".

Even if both in Sand Bunker also can request the other to mark the ball.

Talking about lifting ball, I would like to hijack this thread for another question.
You know just at the border of the green, there are some "short grasses" (not fairway type).
These area are fine for putting. Can I lift the ball to align for putting?
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Roystonnn wrote:
I will Mark his "Balls".

Talking about lifting ball, I would like to hijack this thread for another question.
You know just at the border of the green, there are some "short grasses" (not fairway type).

If ur ball is not on the green, you definitely cannot lift it. However, there are many other ways to align the ball to the hole if u r just around the green. 1 way is to find a blade of grass or grain of sand in front of ur ball, then mentally draw a line to the hole, don't lose sight of ur target while u move into position to putt, then confidently take ur stroke.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 8:51 pm

who8168 wrote:
Roystonnn wrote:
I will Mark his "Balls".

If ur ball is not on the green, you definitely cannot lift it. However, there are many other ways to align the ball to the hole if u r just around the green. 1 way is to find a blade of grass or grain of sand in front of ur ball, then mentally draw a line to the hole, don't lose sight of ur target while u move into position to putt, then confidently take ur stroke.

Usually I trust this method of finding something on the ground as reference than using the arrow on the ball.

But sometimes I lost the reference while I look up to the hole again. keke. Very Happy and sometimes cun find reference. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 pm

thanks guys! really learn something today... can mark, but cannot clean ball...

my flight mate is a good guy lah, juz not conversant with the rules only...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:13 pm

Bro KopiO, when playing golf, being conversant with the rules always has its advantages... pick up a rule book that is given free at most clubs and just read it when free to improve our knowledge.. but friendly match normally we dont be too sticky else we lose the friendship...
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:48 pm

ya, friendly game oni lah... but i will take one along, esp when playing with uncle lau, and a measuring tape when playing with mario.... Twisted Evil

sorry mario, cant help pulling your legs again...
Back to top Go down
Mario
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:43 am

kopiO wrote:
ya, friendly game oni lah... but i will take one along, esp when playing with uncle lau, and a measuring tape when playing with mario.... Twisted Evil

sorry mario, cant help pulling your legs again...

no prob lah! I give in so as not to hold everyone up cheers Can you image taking out R&A rules book and taking out belts, clubs etc... to form a line to decide if ball is OB. As I always say - Golf is a simple game, it's us who make it tough... Swing
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 am

Roystonnn wrote:
I will Mark his "Balls".

I putt wrose if i align the ball with the markings.... I rather look at a blank ball... weird me... scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?   Can request to mark ball on fringe of green? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can request to mark ball on fringe of green?
Page 1 of 1