Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball on line between Green and Fringe

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

Ball on line between Green and Fringe Empty
PostSubject: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Most of our course have green with fringe and more often then not, there is a thick cutline between the fringe and green.

When the ball come to rest on this line, common practice is to allow marking of ball and place it within 6 inches (no nearer to hole). Is this a local rule or officially in the Rules of Golf?

I heard from a flight mate that there is a new rule to this. Now, we have to mark it, drop ball within 1 club length. Anyone can advice to this change?
Back to top Go down
guy013
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
guy013

PostSubject: Re: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:48 pm

i've also not been able to find this rule in the R&A booklet. maybe didnt search hard enough
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Drop ball within 1 club! Serious?
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 pm

My social game kaki allows ball to be lifted and placed either on green or fringe. About 5cm front or back of the line. Not sure about official rules.
Back to top Go down
w_chiang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
w_chiang

PostSubject: Re: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Its a local rule.
Check at the back of the score cards.
Not all clubs give you relief from the groove.
At my club the groove contains a piece of plastic, its listed under immovable obstruction. Relief is the same as for immovable obstruction, so drop within one club length.

Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 7:40 pm

It’s local rule and it didn’t mention 6 inches… I saw a website mention 6 inches but that is the local stating that. So if it didn’t state 6 inches then it has to be placed in the nearest position.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-33/#33-8/24

33-8/24 Local Rule Permitting Relief from Edging Grooves Around Putting Green

Q. Edging grooves are cut at the perimeters of the putting greens, or just beyond the fringes of the greens, to prevent creeping grasses (e.g., bermudagrass) from encroaching. If a ball comes to rest in or on such a groove, it is impossible to play the ball with any degree of accuracy. Would a Local Rule providing relief be authorized?

A. Yes. If an edging groove touches the green, the Committee may make a Local Rule giving relief if a ball lies in or on such a groove or the groove interferes with the area of intended swing, but not solely because the groove might affect the player’s stance.

The Local Rule should read as follows:

“If a ball lies in or on an edging groove around a putting green, or if the groove interferes with the area of the player’s intended swing, the ball may, without penalty, be lifted, cleaned and placed in the nearest position to where it lay that is not nearer the hole and avoids interference by the condition, whether on or off the putting green.”

If edging grooves do not touch the green, the Committee may declare them to be ground under repair and provide relief under Rule 25-1 as follows:

“The grooves around the fringes of the putting greens are ground under repair. However, interference by a groove with the player’s stance is deemed not to be, of itself, interference under Rule 25-1. If the ball lies in or touches the groove or the groove interferes with the area of intended swing, relief is available under Rule 25-1.” (Revised)

33-8/24 Local Rule Permitting Relief from Edging Grooves Around Putting Green

Q. Edging grooves are cut at the perimeters of the putting greens, or just beyond the fringes of the greens, to prevent creeping grasses (e.g., bermudagrass) from encroaching. If a ball comes to rest in or on such a groove, it is impossible to play the ball with any degree of accuracy. Would a Local Rule providing relief be authorized?

A. Yes. If an edging groove touches the green, the Committee may make a Local Rule giving relief if a ball lies in or on such a groove or the groove interferes with the area of intended swing, but not solely because the groove might affect the player’s stance.

The Local Rule should read as follows:

“If a ball lies in or on an edging groove around a putting green, or if the groove interferes with the area of the player’s intended swing, the ball may, without penalty, be lifted, cleaned and placed in the nearest position to where it lay that is not nearer the hole and avoids interference by the condition, whether on or off the putting green.”

If edging grooves do not touch the green, the Committee may declare them to be ground under repair and provide relief under Rule 25-1 as follows:

“The grooves around the fringes of the putting greens are ground under repair. However, interference by a groove with the player’s stance is deemed not to be, of itself, interference under Rule 25-1. If the ball lies in or touches the groove or the groove interferes with the area of intended swing, relief is available under Rule 25-1.” (Revised)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball on line between Green and Fringe   Ball on line between Green and Fringe I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball on line between Green and Fringe
Page 1 of 1