Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golfing in Hong Kong

Go down 
+12
skybobo
weaponx
joleelyn
grooveballer
22tang
freedrop
golf_snowman
kopiO
jimmychoo
Technospaz
jaketang
devil_wq
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
devil_wq
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golfing in Hong Kong Empty
PostSubject: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Will be going to HK for a couple of years...
Anyone can advise on the 'Golfing Life' in HK?
Like courses/ranges accessible to the public, affordability, handicap requirements, golf equipment, etc, etc...
Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks!
cheers
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:58 pm

wow good luck....

not sure abt HK....

but given a choice, i hope to be posted to BKK!!! superb place... Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:05 pm

devil_wq wrote:
Will be going to HK for a couple of years...
Anyone can advise on the 'Golfing Life' in HK?
Like courses/ranges accessible to the public, affordability, handicap requirements, golf equipment, etc, etc...
Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks!
cheers

Bro, you're heading off to HK? Wow... all the best, mate! Never got a chance to play with you... maybe in HK Smile
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Usually Hongkee will travel north to play in South China just like Singaporean travelling north to play in Malaysia. The different is China courses are overall better condition than Malaysia Neutral
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:15 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Usually Hongkee will travel north to play in South China just like Singaporean travelling north to play in Malaysia. The different is China courses are overall better condition than Malaysia Neutral

Aren't they more affordable as well?
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:18 pm

my friend used to go by car, overland to Mission Hills, Shenzhen

or, by ferry to Zhuhai.

either one should be just within a couple of hours.

if i m not wrong, there is only 1x 18 within HKG.

Last edited by kopiO on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:19 pm

i heard golfing in HK is very expensive.

My friend were saying, if wanna play golf, go shenzhen....

if you are interested to know, i can ask my friend there.[left]
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 pm

i think zhu hai oso very popular....

n not juz in golf... they say is the guy's heaven....
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:12 pm

1st - There is only 5 courses in HK, all private membership clubs except the KSC (Kau Sai Chau) which is a public course with fierce winds. Extremely challenging, and intimidating. Nothing in Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia comes close to this golfing hell.

2nd - Needless to say, supply and demand dictates that green fees are steep vs those in Malaysia/Batam/Bintan and even Singapore.

3rd - Lack of fairways in HK pushes players to play in Southern China, as far up as Guangzhou or Huizhou, by multiple bus transfers across border, or by ferry. Because of long travel, 18 holes is basically a one day affair, unless you have private car with dual license plates (for HK and Guangdong).

4th - If you don't mind long travel time, yuo have access to hundreds of good courses in Guangdong, mostly around Shenzhen and Dongguan area but as far up north as Guangzhou. Green fees ranges from RMB 450 to 1,000 on weekdays. Weekend? Try double.

5th - There are a few good websites which you can go to and find playing partners, book courses (they will arrange transport as well as tee time booking). Golf007 is one of them.

6th - Golf007 is also a forum, quite similar to Golf Republic but quality of threads and discussions are primitive, bordering on rude exchange of personal attacks. I like the friendly Singlish in Golf Republic.

7th - Don't know much about driving ranges but the biggest one is the City Golf Club in Tsim Sha Tsui. Don't be misled by its name, it's only a driving range, although I must admit it's the best I have come across anywhere in Asia, with fully integrated facilities. Singapore ranges can learn from the business model of City Golf Club.

8th - Golf shops are clustered in 2 locations. The one I usually go to is in Tsim Sha Tsui also, just behind the previous Hyatt Regency. There must be 20-30 gofl supply/service shops in that location, much like FESC of Orchard Road, except that in TST, they are in different buidlings. You can get very good prices for new and used clubs here compared with Singapore.

Have fun in HK.
Back to top Go down
devil_wq
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks to all, especially freedrop, for the wonderful advice!
Sounds like it will be lots of fun still but with much higher expenses in general...
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:48 am

Hello,

Anyone try the KAU SAI CHAU golf course in HK? Need to book in advance?

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 12:41 pm

I was planning to play in Hong Kong in december and had emailed KSC about securing a tee-time. They advised that all bookings have to be made via their phone booking system. Another thing is that getting there seems to be a slight hassle, with needing to take a ferry and all that. So now I'm thinking if the experience will be worth all the hassle.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 pm

I was trying to call them but the 2 phone numbers given on the website seems to be invalid.

Another option will be playing in Shenzhen or Zhuhai. If I am not wrong there is a MPV transportation to Shenzhen and estimated around S$50.00 for 1 way. Still sourcing around Razz
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm

You won't enjoy KSC on weekends, and even some weekdays. It will take you 6 hours to play one round sometimes, with all the slow hackers around. HK has limited courses so KSC is usually fully booked and it's such a tough course that beginners will be struggling and slowing down the games.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:12 pm

OK, thanks ... Now searching for alternatives.

Where are you planning to play in December?
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:18 pm

you can try Mission hills in China?.. I remember the transportation were all arranged by the club/resort. No hassle... and very cooling to play there. lol.. like aircon. Shiok.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:52 pm

From HK to Mission Hills?
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 pm

ooo.. as in you going to HK anyway is it?...

lol. I thought you wanted a destination to go to.. *paiseh.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 4:15 pm

No problem, I am looking for option.
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Mission Hills is in Shenzhen/Dongguan area, so would be one of your options. But, its very expensive to play there...

MPV for transfer from HK to China is not SGD50, usually something like USD100 i think or more. SGD50-100 would be from Huanggang in China to the golf club, you need to get ur butt over the border 1st... macam u take bus to JB, then board the MPV there.

never played in KSC, but heard that its almost impossible to get thru the phone lines... and you need a valid handicap as well.... and its quite a hassle to get to as well, almost as or more hassle than going to Shenzhen/Zhuhai
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

weaponx wrote:
Mission Hills is in Shenzhen/Dongguan area, so would be one of your options. But, its very expensive to play there...

MPV for transfer from HK to China is not SGD50, usually something like USD100 i think or more. SGD50-100 would be from Huanggang in China to the golf club, you need to get ur butt over the border 1st... macam u take bus to JB, then board the MPV there.

never played in KSC, but heard that its almost impossible to get thru the phone lines... and you need a valid handicap as well.... and its quite a hassle to get to as well, almost as or more hassle than going to Shenzhen/Zhuhai

Oh.. is it? sorry bros.. I was just thinking that it was pretty much hassle free when I played there. Like the transfer and everything was smooth. we (party of 4) had our own bus (like really bus-21 seater kind) to fetch us and also brought us out of the resort to go makan and what not...
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 pm

im sure it was pretty hassle free.. just comes at a price Suspect
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 8:13 pm

KSC has got very nice reviews. From the photos, the east course looks really good. However, other than KSC, I'm not sure where else would be convenient to play.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I just came back from HK 2 weeks ago. Played 2 courses there. Clearwater Bay and Discovery Bay. Both courses are very scenic but I'm not used to the courses due to the following points:
- distance are in yards
- buggy on track and in temp of 34 degree, its quite a torture
- distance markers are only right at the middle of the fairway, not the standing pole type, so if u are not near it, good luck to you

You can find course review of HK courses (and many more) at 007

http://www.golf007.com/english/
http://www.golf007.com/forum/title.php
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:57 pm

If you are not familiar with HK golfing scene, best is for you ro use the service of Golf007. You can also find someone who regularly orginase golf trips to Shenzhen, and they will be yuor best guides on clearing immigration/customs. I suggest you buy a golf bag with trolley. Many HK golfers use that for easy travel thru the border.

Golf is an expensive game if you live in HK, so be prepared.

If you still can't find golfing friends, I can give you a couple of names/phones for you to call. I usually play with them when I go to HK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Hong Kong   Golfing in Hong Kong I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golfing in Hong Kong
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next