Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tour spec irons

Go down 
+2
eden
Jiantong
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jiantong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Hey guys, anyone of you have an idea:

1) Why does tour spec irons have a smaller club head (smaller sweet spot)

2) And what does the tour spec iron's smaller sweet spot gives other than its harder to get a good contact?
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am

example would be if you would like a hit a nail into the wall,

1. hammer - smaller head but larger force as mass is concentrated.

2. frying pan - larger head, larger hitting area but mass distributed.

hammer (example blades) will give u more distance when hit straight.

frying pan (larger cavity backs) will be more forgiving on off centre hits.

my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 am

Interesting example, Eden! Certainly well-said!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Well put, Eden

Jiantong, i believe you were confusing tour spec irons with blade irons. Not all tour spec irons are blade irons, e.g. Tourstage has a number of playing pros on the JPGA who play with midsized cavity backs, and there are players on the PGA who do so as well.

There is also a myth that blades are very much harder to hit than cavity backs, but that is not entirely true.
Back to top Go down
Jiantong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm

The reason i was asking was because i switched from an oversized iron set to a cleveland set (cavity back) tour spec irons with a smaller club face.

Just wondering what difference the smaller club face makes.

Totally agree with ghook as i tried a blade 7 iron but it wasn't as hard to play with as i thought it would be.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Smaller club face means smaller hitting area which gives you smaller sweet spot. That being said, it is not as forgiving as oversize club head. Most smaller heads give you the advantage of workability too, where most oversize irons give you straighter shots even on some mishit.

The difference between players' cavity iron and blade these days are minimal. Manufacturers have somehow found a way to produce cavity back irons with the workability of a blade. On the contrary, they somehow managed to give us a blade that is not so hard to hit. However, blade tends to give me a lower trajectory than cavity backs...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Jiantong wrote:
The reason i was asking was because i switched from an oversized iron set to a cleveland set (cavity back) tour spec irons with a smaller club face.

Totally agree with ghook as i tried a blade 7 iron but it wasn't as hard to play with as i thought it would be.

Move up to the longer irons and you may not be singing the same tune. Especially if you compare your old oversized 3 iron against your Cleveland (CG7 Tour?) 3 iron. You will find as the club gets longer, the harder it is to get good impact, launch the ball, and control dispersion. Controlled accuracy are the important factors to consider with irons, since the objective is GIR as close to the pin as possible.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 pm

agree with yarra. one good examples are AP2 and Nike Cavity Forge which alot of Tour Pro are using. I think those Pros who still uses blades has ego problem
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Birdman wrote:
Jiantong wrote:

Move up to the longer irons and you may not be singing the same tune. Especially if you compare your old oversized 3 iron against your Cleveland (CG7 Tour?) 3 iron. You will find as the club gets longer, the harder it is to get good impact, launch the ball, and control dispersion. Controlled accuracy are the important factors to consider with irons, since the objective is GIR as close to the pin as possible.

Couldn't agree more...
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:24 am

Try playing a 2i Smile
Back to top Go down
Jiantong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks guys for your inputs. Just one more question:

Will playing longer irons like a 3i improve my consistency for 4i and 5i?
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 pm

I do take my 3 iron to the range just to practice. Found that when I grove my swing around the longer iron, it'll be much easier to move down the rack... But to actually play the longer iron in an actual game is not a good idea. Maybe it's just a case of me not having the ball to game the longer iron, I don't know. I just try to enjoy the game and make it as easy as I possibly could...
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Jiantong wrote:
Thanks guys for your inputs. Just one more question:

Will playing longer irons like a 3i improve my consistency for 4i and 5i?

personally, when i go to the range i would skip a club...example:

PW to cover 9 iron
7 iron to cover 8 iron
5 iron to cover 6 iron

maybe for you, training 3 iron MIGHT be ok for you to cover 4 iron.

I feel that to play any club it is about being comfortable and confident.
If you think that playing a 3 would give you the confidence to handle a 4 or 5 then chances are you would force less, maintain posture = consistent iron striking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tour spec irons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tour spec irons   Tour spec irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tour spec irons
Page 1 of 1