Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm Green and new

Go down 
+2
chemicalpro
ironstarz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi guys, CNY eve i went down to Bishan Driving range and tried my hands at golf and it got me kinda hooked, So i googled singapore golf and here i am! I would like to check with you guys whats the first thing i shoud do ?

1. Take up beginner lesson ?

2. Buy a set of end hand irons ? Saw there is a place "creative " dunno what selling 2nd hand golf stuff, is that reliable ?

Please guide this green green newbie hor thank you and gong xi fatt chai Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 pm

P.S in the isetan sale i saw a complete set of Tiger Shark Vortex Men's set going at 399 ? Is it good enought to start out without getting a hole in the pocket ?
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Welcome to Golf ironstarz!

Yep source around for a good coach, there are many in this forum to choose from, let some of the others here recommend you one.

Maybe you should use the clubs your coaches provide first, then ask for his/her recommendation.

cheers
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:40 pm

1) yes. take lessons. start on the right foot and build good foundation.

2) IMHO, dun buy anything yet. you can borrow the coaches' clubs for a start. Until you can more or less swing and hit the ball properly then get a set when you know what feels good and what doesn't.

399 for a complete set is cheap.. but you must understand that Tiger shark is not a famous brand.
then like I said before, for a beginner, it doesn't really matter.

remember there is a always another sale... no need to rush.

Lastly if you are thinking of long run.. ie get a decent one to learn and to use in near future, 2nd hand clubs are good value. I saw a 2nd hand Callaway set going for $699 on ebay Singapore. good value.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 pm

So am i right to say i should go for lesson first and just use the clubs provided by the coaches ??? Then from there i should know what feels good or not in my own hand ?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Yes.. use the coaches first.. (but pls check, some do charge rental for the full set)

unless you are like me.. "hiao" (vain)...bought buy second hand mizuno iron and now abusing them...
slicing and topping the ball... during my lessons.. *heartache even though it is second hand..*
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Also, I would recommend that you buy a "cheap set" and not a "beginner set".

Reason being, you will outgrow the "beginner set" pretty quickly, and it could hinder your progress, then you might be demoralised seeing as how you train so hard also cannot improve.

Sometimes its the clubs, though most of the time its the swing.

But remember to get something that can get you into the game, and then some i.e. something you might use till you get a "good set" or better yet, get a club fitted to you.

Always check in with your coach, he/she'll be able to notice if you've outgrown your clubset and when its time for you to get an "upgrade".

cheers
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 am

Hi ironstarz and welcome to GR. I'd recommend that you find a pro to have lessons with. I'm one of the pros on GR and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your golf queries. Also most pros would provide their students with the clubs for lessons. I do not suggest you buy a set of clubs now. I'd guide and help my student understand the golf clubs first then advice them on what set to buy. Also our students are fortunate enough to enjoy discounts at MST in Warren so it's easier to get demo clubs to trial. Cheers and Gong Xi Fa Cai!
Back to top Go down
crystal_tiong
Caddy
Caddy
crystal_tiong

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:48 am

Hi ironstarz

Welcome to GR , do join us next wed to meet the golfers @ MBGC from 730pm onwards.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the welcome, i will keep my eyes open for a coach at the same time whenever possible i will try to make my way down to MBGC.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 4:51 pm

By the way, how are the charges at MBGC like ??
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

MBGC for range
6cents a ball for peak
and 4 cents for non peak. (office hours)

Free parking...

just that it is a bit farther then my home ground at keppel.. Razz
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am

ironstarz, what it says is there is a every Wednesday meet up session at MBGC rooftop just for chitchat & compare notes.
But if you are interest to play 18holes, it is $70+ for weekday at MBGC. But for you, it is much cheaper at NRCC.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Victor3112 wrote:
ironstarz, what it says is there is a every Wednesday meet up session at MBGC rooftop just for chitchat & compare notes.
But if you are interest to play 18holes, it is $70+ for weekday at MBGC. But for you, it is much cheaper at NRCC.

Yeah my 1st lesson will be starting soon. Thanks for your stuff
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Woopee Just ended first lesson. Realized i'm suitable with graphite shaft, Saw now Nike got some on-going sale, would VR full cavity iron set be forgiving for a beginner like me ?
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 11:42 pm

ironstarz wrote:
Woopee Just ended first lesson. Realized i'm suitable with graphite shaft, Saw now Nike got some on-going sale, would VR full cavity iron set be forgiving for a beginner like me ?

get your coach to advice you on what kind of clubs and what make are suitable for you. he should know best
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:30 am

hi ironstarz,

for a start, just the coach irons first, until you can hit the ball fairly comfortable, then decide what you like better, graphite or irons shaft... stiff flex or regular flex etc etc..

In general Blades are for low handicap players, hence you should get Super improvement or improvement irons..

to know which are are improvement and Super improvement, you can check out golf digest hotlist..

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list

hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 6:50 am

nrafee wrote:
hi ironstarz,

for a start, just the coach irons first, until you can hit the ball fairly comfortable, then decide what you like better, graphite or irons shaft... stiff flex or regular flex etc etc..

In general Blades are for low handicap players, hence you should get Super improvement or improvement irons..

to know which are are improvement and Super improvement, you can check out golf digest hotlist..

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list

hope this helps Smile

Thanks for the link. It was helpful !
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 6:52 am

jhan18 wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

get your coach to advice you on what kind of clubs and what make are suitable for you. he should know best

Yeap, my coach told me if i ever wanna get any club , drop him a sms or call so that he can advise me before i jump the gun and get a club which will end up having a unsuitable club for myself .
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 am

Just want to KP a bit... where you get your lesson? Your boss?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm Green and new Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm Green and new   I'm Green and new I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm Green and new
Page 1 of 1