Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When is the right time to go onto green?

Go down 
+22
Derek
grwilliam
uncleP
oldie-newbie
ozzy888
billcoke
haragolfer
enwee
flashpacker
slinger
Gofnut
TDO
Kaii
Turbo
Botak88
skybobo
Nam Flog
Duval_S
eden
willytan
costajos
Eferata
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

When is the right time to go onto green? Empty
PostSubject: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi buddies,

I would like to ask when is it good for
a newbie to go to the green? My friends 
suggest that I should go only when I am
quite stable with my shot.(stable means 
I don't miscue, able to hit the ball in the 
direction that I desired. However, I am also
told that practicing in a range and playing
on the green is very different. Should I go 
to green for once as a newbie to test test
water and feel the difference so that when
I get back to range I have a clearer picture
during my practice.

I hope you guys will answer :"go baby, go for once."
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:42 pm

my take - just go. just follow the etiquette and don't hold up play.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Just go, if u dun go onto the green, u never know if u are are power ranger (someone who can't play well at driving range) or a golfer.

Try to play on a weekday where there are lesser people, even if ur ball anyhow fly, u can still go find a play without holding up the rear flight.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm

costajos wrote:
my take - just go. just follow the etiquette and don't hold up play.
Agree with above and i would add:
1. learn (when) to pick up your ball and move on to next position or tee.
2. if ball is not playable or difficult, just drop it in a more playable spot.
3. dont waste time looking for missing balls (bring lots of used balls).
4. play with someone that is able to teach you golf etiquette and guide you in time management.
5. enjoy your first game.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm

For me is within 140m if play stroke play
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 7:07 pm

safety first.

know the dos and don'ts, comply with safety rules, don't hit people and don't get hit.

All other things like holding people up with slow play is forgivable.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 7:12 pm

What kind of greens are u referring to? 9 holes exec or 18 holes full course? If it's the former, then u should be going at least once in ur beginner package. Ur PC is done on course not range. If it's the latter, if u already have a PC, then u should go to gain experience and collect 5 cards for your courtesy round. 

Of course u can also pay for a swing test and play mbgc or occ. As long as ur ball can airborne, u observe basic etiquette and safety, u should be fine. If on that day, u keep topping and spraying, just pick up the ball and go. Dun hold up the back flight.

All the best.
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 pm

For me i started by going to those beginner 9 hole course like mandai to build up feel n some confident 1st. At lease no body will chase u or rear flight pressure u as all are newbie mah.

After awhile u will begin to sian liao than automatically u will wan to go to a full 18hole course. Try IOI, very beginner friendly.

Hope this helps BeerBeerBeerBeer
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Eferata ...

Actually it is good to hone your skill till you can carry the ball forward without slicing or hooking too often ... Not necessary need to be long ... Distance will come once you gain experience and improve your technique ... Yes, playing in the course is significantly different from ranging ... Because you have to take into consideration of external elements like wind, sometime drizzle, type of lie (deep/semi rough, sand, undulating ground, wet ground, down/up slope, roots of the tree, etc.), fear factor (see water hazard infront of you), flight mates looking at you while you are adressing the ball and about to hit the ball, pressure from other golfers waiting & watching behind you ... etc.

Before you goto the course, remember to learn how to chip and putt first ...

If you cannot at least airborne the ball decently (6-7/10), you are not ready to hit the course in my opinion ... You might be despondent as you struggle ... As a result, you would lose motivation to continue to play ... But there are people who persevere and return stronger after each and every game ...

Good luck and have fun, dude!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for yours good opinion.
I will heed yours advice. Go go go.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Eferata wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for yours good opinion.
I will heed yours advice. Go go go.

One more thing ... In the golf course, each and every shot counts as you only have one chance whereas in the range, you can hit as many shots as you desire till you see the ideal shot ... Smile
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 11:04 pm

still old school - hit 10,000 balls at the range before the challenge the green
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:33 am

I remember my visit to the green might be the fastest. In Dec 1995, I was introduced to golf by my ex-boss. He brought to NSRCC driving range on a Wednesday evening and gave me a 7i to practice. That same week on Sunday I was brought to Austin Hills for my 1st game. I bought my 1st set of Precision Golf Clubs and a pair of Wilson golf shoes, a box of new balls and a glove. Tees were given free by Nevada Bob (Now known as Bob's Golf) where I bought the clubs and shoes.  I hacked my way through 18 holes and boy it was fun. There are many stories to tell leading to my 1st game at Austin Hills. It was hilarious but I will leave it as it is for now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:46 am

Choose to play on a weekday at a relatively quiet course and with friends who can give you some guidance on etiquette, common rules, course management, etc. Be prepared to let the flight behind play through if there is a chance you are holding them up. Play to enjoy and don't be too harsh on yourself. Laugh at your air shots! The experience of gaming on the course will give you much better perspective of what are some of the things you need to practise back at the range e.g. distance control in chipping and putting, how to punch a low shot to get out of trouble and so forth. It will add purpose to your practice. All the best to you.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 am

Gofnut wrote:
Choose to play on a weekday at a relatively quiet course and with friends who can give you some guidance on etiquette, common rules, course management, etc. Be prepared to let the flight behind play through if there is a chance you are holding them up. Play to enjoy and don't be too harsh on yourself. Laugh at your air shots! The experience of gaming on the course will give you much better perspective of what are some of the things you need to practise back at the range e.g. distance control in chipping and putting, how to punch a low shot to get out of trouble and so forth. It will add purpose to your practice. All the best to you.

Lucky I got my "Shi Gong" and "Shi Fu" with me on that 1st day of golf. I just pick up my ball and run forward when I shot the 2nd air shot and laughed, if not very "lao kwee". Laughing Now, if I ever do an air shot I won't be laughing. Mad

Last edited by TDO on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 am

bring a seasoned golfer along with u....

u will know the smaller details of playing the game...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 11:42 am

We have all been a beginner before. Not all have the privilege and company of an experience golfer. Many beginners are pretty naive (like me previously). Unless we have Shifus to accompany us, beginners had better learn to pick up the ball and move on if you keep hitting airshots, duffing or topping the ball. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

TDO wrote:
We have all been a beginner before. Not all have the privilege and company of an experience golfer. Many beginners are pretty naive (like me previously). Unless we have Shifus to accompany us, beginners had better learn to pick up the ball and move on if you keep hitting airshots, duffing or topping the ball. Very Happy

And remember to buy the experienced golfer drinks at the halfway house...cheers
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm

flashpacker wrote:
TDO wrote:

And remember to buy the experienced golfer drinks at the halfway house...cheers

He took care of my wallet lor.  Sad I think it's more than sufficient for a drink. Beer
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Just played a few games in executive and then ask some experience players to go with u.
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi all,

I had already made up my mind to go.
I saw on another thread two years ago
that got two old friendly are willing to help 
New bird. Wonder they are still on to do so.
But to search back the thread. I will remember
The suggestions and comments that u guys gave.
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Eferata
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Bro,

There are a lot of newbie what's app group which u can join in order to get some experienced kaki to join u on the green. Although not all are very well versed, but at least they can share with u some basics. It is more fun going in pairs or group.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:13 pm

its simple really. play decisive ready golf. play as it lies. play from the white tees. play golf game not golf swing.
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:56 pm

willytan wrote:
Bro,

There are a lot of newbie what's app group which u can join in order to get some experienced kaki to join u on the green. Although not all are very well versed, but at least they can share with u some basics. It is more fun going in pairs or group.
Hi willy,

Can help to add me to the what'sapp group @ 86111521

Regards,
Ederata
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 pm

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t27175-forming-a-group-of-pc-holders?highlight=Group

U may like to ask to join here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When is the right time to go onto green?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next