Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When is the right time to go onto green?

Go down 
+22
Derek
grwilliam
uncleP
oldie-newbie
ozzy888
billcoke
haragolfer
enwee
flashpacker
slinger
Gofnut
TDO
Kaii
Turbo
Botak88
skybobo
Nam Flog
Duval_S
eden
willytan
costajos
Eferata
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 12:22 am

Eferata wrote:
Hi buddies,

I would like to ask when is it good for
a newbie to go to the green? My friends 
suggest that I should go only when I am
quite stable with my shot.(stable means 
I don't miscue, able to hit the ball in the 
direction that I desired. However, I am also
told that practicing in a range and playing
on the green is very different. Should I go 
to green for once as a newbie to test test
water and feel the difference so that when
I get back to range I have a clearer picture
during my practice.

I hope you guys will answer :"go baby, go for once."

I'm newbie in golf, just finished my 6th lesson (total 10th lessons), I went to Bintan, Gold Coast, Sydney and last week went to Chaing Mai for golf. As for me, the learning experience is different for driving range and on course. Playing golf on a driving range is like learning driving at a parking lot while on course is like learning driving on a actual road.

At a driving range, we tend to focus on distance, the further the better. But on course, I realized that control is more important, for example when the pin is 60 m away, I tend to over swing even with my wedge but now I learn to control my swing, depending on the slope of the green, sometimes need soft landing, sometimes need the ball to roll forward etc...

If I were you, I would go for it and practice on course too, lots to learn. Having a good golf caddy can help you to improve in course management.

So far, I only use 7, PW, SW and a putter for on course. I use 7 to tee-off, I'm still struggling in getting straight balls with my driver and hybrid.

Last edited by billcoke on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ozzy888
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ozzy888

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 12:37 am

if you care to drive all the way to kukup golf resort on a week day that cost RM60 per person and would most likely to be alone because there are only or maybe a few players before 5pm.
so take your clubs and practice there..
well the idea is that once you have the basics you are ready to go.
i know of a friend who has never touched a golf club before and was dragged into a golf tournament for the first time of his life and he managed a score of 110. not too bad.
and don't forget to study the rules of golf too..
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 1:06 am

ozzy888 wrote:
if you care to drive all the way to kukup golf resort on a week day that cost RM60 per person and would most likely to be alone because there are only or maybe a few players before 5pm.
i know of a friend who has never touched a golf club before and was dragged into a golf tournament for the first time of his life and he managed a score of 110. not too bad.

I find this rather hard to believe. Only 2 possibilities . . . Either u heard ur friend wrongly or his is lying. Other possibilities  . . . . I think u know.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:32 am

oldie-newbie wrote:
ozzy888 wrote:

I find this rather hard to believe. Only 2 possibilities . . . Either u heard ur friend wrongly or his is lying. Other possibilities  . . . . I think u know.

I have to agree with bro oldie-newbie. His friend have to be a real talent or genius with the golf club. On my first outing at Austin Hills, I did not record the scores. Just enjoy the game, never mind the many airshots, duffs, tournament top player award, etc. If I really want to record, it could easily exceed 150, and that's probably on the low side.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 am

TDO wrote:
oldie-newbie wrote:
ozzy888 wrote:

I have to agree with bro oldie-newbie. His friend have to be a real talent or genius with the golf club. On my first outing at Austin Hills, I did not record the scores. Just enjoy the game, never mind the many airshots, duffs, tournament top player award, etc. If I really want to record, it could easily exceed 150, and that's probably on the low side.

Although hard to believe, it is still minutely possible to score 110 for a newbie who has never touched a golf club.

This person has a natural flair, luck or whatever.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:53 am

flashpacker wrote:
TDO wrote:
oldie-newbie wrote:
ozzy888 wrote:

Although hard to believe, it is still minutely possible to score 110 for a newbie who has never touched a golf club.

This person has a natural flair, luck or whatever.

To me, for someone who has never touch a golf club before, it's still unbeliavble. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:12 am

TDO wrote:
Gofnut wrote:
Choose to play on a weekday at a relatively quiet course and with friends who can give you some guidance on etiquette, common rules, course management, etc. Be prepared to let the flight behind play through if there is a chance you are holding them up. Play to enjoy and don't be too harsh on yourself. Laugh at your air shots! The experience of gaming on the course will give you much better perspective of what are some of the things you need to practise back at the range e.g. distance control in chipping and putting, how to punch a low shot to get out of trouble and so forth. It will add purpose to your practice. All the best to you.

Lucky I got my "Shi Gong" and "Shi Fu" with me on that 1st day of golf. I just pick up my ball and run forward when I shot the 2nd air shot and laughed, if not very "lao kwee". Laughing Now, if I ever do an air shot I won't be laughing. Mad
TDO got it correct.

Go with your Shi Gong and Shi Fu..
if you take golf lessons, the teaching pro should have package at least 2 round with you on green.
if not U should ask .
 PC and Hcp tested on green and not at driving range.
Driving 10K or 100K balls at range will only perfect the flaw,
go to the green and U will learn not to swing crazy, being bullish or underestimate your power.
As your "playmate" nicely , it is a great responsibility for them to bring you to the GREEN
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:25 am

it is not humanly possible for someone who have never touch a golf club before to 1) join a tournament, however simple and friendly the tournament was 2) able to progress the ball at all 3) complete the 18 holes, let alone score 110.

I remember when I was learning and also seeing all those new learners at the range, 1st 20 shots will be air ball or go 5 meters, 2nd 20 will be 10 meters way left or right etc . . . and that is with an instructor standing beside you!

TDO - the first time you touch a golf club you played at Austin Hills and played below 200?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 10:02 am

oldie-newbie wrote:
it is not humanly possible for someone who have never touch a golf club before to 1) join a tournament, however simple and friendly the tournament was 2) able to progress the ball at all 3) complete the 18 holes, let alone score 110.

I remember when I was learning and also seeing all those new learners at the range, 1st 20 shots will be air ball or go 5 meters, 2nd 20 will be 10 meters way left or right etc . . . and that is with an instructor standing beside you!

TDO - the first time you touch a golf club you played at Austin Hills and played below 200?

Bro oldie-newbie, the first time I touched a club was my Shifu handed me a Ping 7i at NSRCC in 1995 December. Actually, he and me was surprised that using the baseball grip, I can hit the ball about 100m on the first few shots including some airshots. The direction is forgettable though. But it got better as I progress. Maybe playing squash helped a bit as it balanced my stance.

And, confirmed I shot below 200. Anything above that, I would probably have given up golf after that first outing. Ha! Ha!  Stretcher
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 am

Hi all,

I already made arrangement with 
my friends to go to Malaysia and play. 
Will post back up here and share after
my first time.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 11:38 am

Here is a very good tip from a very young dude on hitting an iron shot on the fairway ... A Tour Pro in the making ...

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 11:45 am

Another excellent fundamental we all can learn from ...

Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Wah! That Ah Boy so good. I want to learn from him. really put me to shame. Great video thoguh. Thanks for sharing bro Turbo. Beer
Back to top Go down
grwilliam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Wow! Ten years old! Great potentials. Tiger Woods in the making.
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi all,

I went to the green last Sunday at mandai for 
The first time. I was lucky to join a very friendly 
flight. There is really some different playing at 
Range and on green. Didn't really able to struck 
The ball well, but manage to get one hole on par.
I strongly agree that a newbie should try to go 
Green once before continuing practicing without
havingthe real feel on the green. And thanks for everybody
Encouragement. 

Regards,
Eferata
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 3:28 pm

There has to be a balance between what is good for the individual golfer and how it will affect other golfers using the course.

I would argue that if a person had access to private golf course, and did not have to bother if anyone else was also using it.  Learning on the greens from day 1 (you can always use a Par 4 as a driving range and hit balls back and forth) would produce better results than the vast majority of us who have to balance between range time and play time (or just having time for golf).

There are many differences between playing on real grass and a real course vs driving range mats.  Driving range mats are normally placed on a flat concrete surface, will forgive even extremely fat shots (club hits ground before the ball) and especially with hybrids, woods and SGI irons, can give the illusion of competency when it is not there.  Practicing pitching and short game can be deceiving unless you can recognise the difference between a proper strike and a fat strike.

However, you also have to be considerate to other people using the golf course.  It is not practical to spend 90 mins on 1 hole practising if there are other people using the course.

A viable alternative is to look for a course that is relatively deserted on weekdays. These can be executive courses (can be crowded sometimes) in SG but the best option is to go somewhere less accessible, e.g. Batam or less popular courses in JB.  Bring many many used balls, a willing friend (or alone if the course allows), exercise some common sense toward other golfers on the course, then proceed to practice as if it were your own course.

If you are a complete newbie, and picking up clubs for the first time.  I would suggest range time equivalent to 2000-2500 balls before heading to a deserted course on a weekday.  You can always go sooner if you feel up to it.

For weekends, please achieve at least a basic level of proficiency in terms of safety and pace of play before venturing onto a full 18h course.  It will be more enjoyable for yourself, your flightmates as well as other users of the golf course.
Back to top Go down
locoBware
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 7:58 am

There is never a right time. If you have already attended lessons and have had range time, it's time to just head straight for it. Range time or experience is nowhere close to green, and trust me.....you will be exposed to much more learnings.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 8:32 am

Eferata wrote:
Hi buddies,

I would like to ask when is it good for
a newbie to go to the green? My friends 
suggest that I should go only when I am
quite stable with my shot.(stable means 
I don't miscue, able to hit the ball in the 
direction that I desired. However, I am also
told that practicing in a range and playing
on the green is very different. Should I go 
to green for once as a newbie to test test
water and feel the difference so that when
I get back to range I have a clearer picture
during my practice.

I hope you guys will answer :"go baby, go for once."

I played at the green after my 6th lesson, so just go and have fun, don't worry.
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 am

I was a Power Ranger once... Picked up the sport due to a friend dragging me along when he went for his lessons. My first club was a 300+cc driver and surprisingly, never made an airball... Learnt through YouTube and magazines...

At the range, can hit straight and far... Longer than many on the range (probably because I was a slugger in my old sport - baseball). After a year of ranging, full of confidence, I went on the greens at Bintan... I was totally shocked... Suddenly cannot drive, every shot sliced... Damn frustrating... It was then that I learnt that range and greens very very different... My advice is that you should go and try playing on the greens once you are comfortable... There's never a right time I guess...
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 am

My 2cents:

1.  Familiarise yourself with the etiquette section of the rule book so that you will not be a danger to others nor spoil their game while you enjoy yours.
2.  Make sure you are able to at least advance the ball.

These are basic requirements before you get onto the green. Get an experienced golfer to accompany you. It will be of great help. From this virgin round, you will gain much insight and understanding of some of the areas you need to work on while practicing at the range thereafter eg hitting with half or quarter swing to achieve some distance control, hitting low punch shots to avoid overhanging branches, playing from rough, etc. Most important, relax and enjoy. Soon, you will fall in love with this beautiful game!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 1:08 pm

When you get sufficient strokes from your flightmates.
Back to top Go down
Choo Yao Chuen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Once you can hit the ball consistently with a 7 iron and driver, you're all good to go  bounce
Back to top Go down
ozzy888
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ozzy888

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:48 pm

TDO wrote:
oldie-newbie wrote:
ozzy888 wrote:

Lots of talented people out there , that friend happened to be a real talent and now winning club monthly medals and the money medals as well , just my luck to meet someone like that.  Shocked
well in my opinion golf is about maintaining consistency true to our handicap. cheers everyone..!
and for the beginners , don't worry too much about the system , just DO IT, go to the greens and hit it, but at a less crowded golf course .. Swing
Back to top Go down
locoBware
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 am

It happens......the thing is what you learn out of it and getting 'comfortable', out of the 'nervous zone'. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is the right time to go onto green?   When is the right time to go onto green? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When is the right time to go onto green?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2