Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?

Go down 
+7
thamster
weesern
Khorkar
Lizardman
chemicalpro
ghoonk
yrt
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? Empty
PostSubject: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 am

Back to top Go down
http://chicnics.wordpress.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 am

Here's something to start the discussion

http://hirekogolf.wordpress.com/beginners-corner/choosing-a-golf-shaft-graphite-vs-steel/
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks heaps!
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:00 am

Most pros use steel shafts on their irons because they twist lesser as compared to graphite shafts. Shafts twist quite a fair bit if not by the minimal weight of the ball but also the divot you take.

That should be the main advantage of steel over graphite shafts on irons. Secondary should be more weight variances and choices.

Graphite shafts are generally lighter which equates to higher club head speed.

This information is from articles and books I read before, I may be wrong, but it kinda makes sense Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 am

I think some fitters will argue that modern graphite shafts have less torque than steel shafts...

as for lighter giving more speed, I'm not sure...

if you put a tennis ball at the end of a cane, would you be able to swing it faster than if you didn't have the ball at the end of a cane?

hmmm!
Back to top Go down
Lizardman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:34 am

What do you recommend for a beginner?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 am

Doesn't matter what I recommend. Some people prefer heavier, others prefer lighter, depending on their own strength, fitness, and swing
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 am

With technology ever advancing I wouldn't be surprised if one day graphite surpasses steel in every aspect, what with all the nanotechnology and carbon components up and coming.

As for the cane analogy, think we have to compare on a larger scale, say between a cane and a clothe bamboo of the same dimensions.

I believe the lighter of the two will swing faster, the heavier of the 2 will have more inertia.

On a side note, I've always wondered what my own tipping scale is. I'll explain:

Because much of the movement of a golf ball is caused by compression and decompression, club head speed and inertia are both a factor.

A lighter club would have, again to me, a quicker club head speed, but too light and the ball doesn't compress optimally. The same goes, too heavy and too little club head speed, compression might not be optimal also.

Had always wondered what my own optimum mix of club/swing speed and club weight was.

Will never know till I get fitted, maybe in the near future when I stabalised my swing.

Any thoughts of your own? Would love to hear! Smile
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:42 am

Lizardman wrote:
What do you recommend for a beginner?

Think you might want to try how your swing becomes of when you use differently weighted or shafted clubs.

And like ghoonk said, its preference. Some like their clubs heavy, some like it lighter.

All that matters is it let's you play better golf! No one will judge you if you do Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:46 am

Hard to say. If you increase mass, you need less speed to get the ball to go the same distance. If you don't have mass behind the ball, you're going to need more speed.

But if you don't have enough mass, impact would be less stable, hence the introduction of perimeter weighting to increase stability without increasing mass, which makes the clubhead more head-heavy, which is less favourable with people who have less strength or are not able to generate sufficient club head speed.

That being the case, I'm guessing that's why touring pros prefer to use steel shafts instead of graphite -- for people who have not grooved their swing, i.e learned to use their big muscles to generate power/speed instead of using arms, wrists, etc, then -- because they are able to utilize the mass of the club to maintain the necessary level of stability.

With more mass throughout the club, I'm also guessing that overall club stability on the upswing and downswing is easier to maintain through tempo
Back to top Go down
Lizardman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:46 am

Ok, thanks.
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am

I seem to be able to manage steel shafts. I like the stable feel upon impact. The hit somehow feels more solid. My previous graphite set seem to provide more of a whipping feel but had given me better distances.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 am

@ghoonk, yes I totally agree with you on the tempo part. Too light a club and it kinda goes everywhere through the swing. A problem I'm facing at the moment, plus being too manipulative of the angles Embarassed

@yrt, yep! Go with the one with the better feel. Distance is overrated Razz
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:58 am

Yea Im liking my new steel ones Wink
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:03 am

Yay Smile

If you have the chance, check out True Temper Feather Flight steel shafts, currently using them.

Really light! Too light! Mad
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am

Im currently using true temper dynamic gold. Pretty decent! Its just my swing that is not decent Sad
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 am

This is why you go for a fitting instead of guessing whether R300, S200, S300, S400, X100, PX5.0, PX5.5, PX6.0, PX6.5, NS Pro 850/950/1150, KBS Tour Regular, KBS Tour Stiff, etc etc etc is best for you.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 am

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 am

yrt wrote:
Im currently using true temper dynamic gold. Pretty decent! Its just my swing that is not decent Sad

Nah, it never is as bad as you think... I think silent

Edit: Oh believe it or not, your dynamic gold is about 20grams heavier than my feather flight Embarassed
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:23 am

Yea, i guess "blame the tee"! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:36 am

Absolutely! Smile
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:38 am

actually, these days, graphite shafts irons are just as good as their steel counter parts. Ie. Aerotech Steel Fiber, they are even used by pros in tournaments.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 am

Unless you state you gender wrongly, you are quite strong to use steel shafts
Back to top Go down
thamster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 am

Actually, there was a term called swing weight that was used way back.
This would be a relative weight of club/shaft/grip but the focus these days seems to be on type of shaft (steel/graphite), stiffness n torque.
These have to be taken relative to the weight of the club head and your swing speed, there are folks that 'like to feel the clubhead' as they swing their clubs.

Agree - with khorkar on the progress of graphite vs steel
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Swingweight is about the balance of the club, total weight is the weight of the whole club. You can get 2 clubs with the same total weight but different swingweights, and if your swing is tempo-sensitive, they will make a difference.

The higher the swingweight (i.e. more head-heavy), the more you can 'feel' the clubhead, and the more stable it feels on onswing and downswing, but it requires you to know how to use the big muscles on takeaway and downswing. I have seen professional/tour equipment where the 7 irons is as heavy as D5.5 to D6 (my TM RAC MBs came in with S400 shafts with swingweight linear from D4.5 on the PW to D7 on the PW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs?   What are the advantages of steel shaft clubs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next