Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ask the Pro

Go down 
+16
kopiO
weesern
clarencekim
TSL
shaugn
Gray
yelnats
shorthitter
Right_sided_coach
Duval_S
Technospaz
jaketang
sunny
G_Man
shotah
DGman
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:32 am

JAT...i think we should have a section where golfers can ask the resident pro Shorthitter and other visiting pros to this site about possible ways to improve. this way, they can get better and do not feel intimated about taking lessons eventually. its funny that even posting will help one break the ice.

one of the things that i feel handicap in my fitting is golfer's investment on lessons. Most golfers do not seem to understand that thier game will change dramatically and they will be able to play better golf and save on equipment. too many golfers change drivers when they can't hit and blame it on their equipment and not their own improvised swing.

Everyone needs a coach, even S70B at his level is still having lessons frequently.

so i hope to see more swing improvement topics discussed rather than just where to buy what, which may not necessary improve the golfers' game.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 am

Totally agree with DGman, thats why I am now looking for S70B whenever I feel that my swing is having some problems. Smile
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:39 am

Great, freebies!!!

Dear Pro,
how would a short game training routine look like?
For the majority of us, driving range training is the majority of our golf time. Would you prescribe any specific ways to train at a driving range?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 12:05 pm

good idea
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 pm

what's the best way to improve then? to have a coach to plan a program after taking a look at our game/swing?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 pm

jaketang wrote:
what's the best way to improve then? to have a coach to plan a program after taking a look at our game/swing?

The first thing I would do (which I should be doing) is to get a coach to take a look at the swing. Spot the weaknesses as well as strengths. Then have the coach suggest improvements to where there are flaws and methods to capitalize on the strengths. This should be done for all club-types.

Another area which seems neglected (bigtime for me) is bunker play. Get a coach to review this and strive towards improvements.

Also, work on the short stick. Often, this is also neglected. While practice in this area makes perfect, practice of a wrong stroke also cements bad habits.

Lastly, work on general fitness, mindset, confidence and knowledge of the game.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 pm

jaketang wrote:

My 2.5cents: Here is what I am trying to cure my short game:

1. Get a decent wedges based on one's budget. I asked someone long time ago, what is the best wedge, he said "The best wedge is what you can buy based on your allocated budget"
2. When there is a chance to play on course with better players, try to understand their choice of shots around the green or <80m....eg. why bump and run, why fly the ball, why hold at waist height after contact? , why 8iron etc etc?
3. true, that difficult to practise in SG but if no fish, prawn also can (direct translation fm hokkien), make the best at the range...
4. Have one single Go-To shot around the green and then build on it to have variety.

OK...after all the TCSS....just don ask me how my short game..... Embarassed

Thanks....DS
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Just to get the ball rolling, I believe that every golfer has a certain pattern of movement in their swing. I simply try to identify their pattern and give them a drill to change the pattern to a more efficient and repeatable pattern. Most patterns of swing that golfers have is dictated by their set up and grip. Usually by improving the starting point, the pattern can change. That being said you can not change a pattern of a swing without changing the set up. I will post some pictures of the most common patterns and faults I find with golfers and show examples of how changing set up can change issues golfers have with club face, turning, weight shift etc. The idea here is to get you all thinking about what your faults are and why you slice or hook, top or duff, have no power or whatever fault you may have and hopefully give you information on the causes and effects of good and bad shots.

This is a very common pattern which is tilting or reverse pivoting. Causes a slice, topped or duffed shot. Any good shots will go high and right and not very powerful.
Ask the Pro Tilter11

The Drill to fix this is practicing with the right foot behind the left
This will get the body shape different and allow for correct weight shift on the downswing
[img]Ask the Pro Rightb10[/img]

Body will now look opposite from the front

Ask the Pro Rightb12
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Setting up too far back is another cause of problems in the swing, though not as common as tilting.
Ask the Pro Toofar10

This will create a very flat swing plane that travels too far around on the inside

Ask the Pro Toofar11

The fix is to set up more this way

Ask the Pro Lamb_f10

This will allow the club to travel back more on plane and not too flat

Ask the Pro Lamb_b10
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 1:40 pm

If anyone has any questions about their swing feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can. Cheers Paul
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm

Awesome tips, Paul. The pics helped illustrate the flaws and highlight what to correct. Thanks!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Awesome tips, Paul. The pics helped illustrate the flaws and highlight what to correct. Thanks!! Smile

Hope it helps. I will put up many more patterns in the coming days. Look out for the one that applies to your swing. Next post will be on bunker problems as this is where I see many amateurs losing alot of strokes.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Good idea Eric always willing to help.... Very Happy

As Paul says "he looks at swing" then advises, very hard to advise without seeing, so what i will start with is how to practice "postitivley"

This is something everyone can do regardles of ability...

And it will make you "better faster" 50 balls done correctly is better than 200 just hit!

1) Do not pour the balls into the divder, put the basket far enough away so you must move your feet after each shot, your aim is to make the setup on the golf course as natural as possible. If you do not get used to setting up on the mat you will have no hope on the course. If you top a ball then just bend and drag another one back to your feet it will likly be in a differnt place to the 1st so you will not get any feedback, Your swing maybe perfect but as the ball is in a different place each time the flight will be all over the place and you will surley try to change your swing.

2) While you are beginning or making swing changes distance is not the be all to end all.... That means if your mate in the bay next to you can hit 8 irons 200 metres, you should not be trying too... you should be working on the skills you coach gave you... if you do that often enough then you too will gather distance....

3) Do not listen to advice from your friends, ok it may be well meaning but we have set you a task, normally to achieve in 1 week between lessons... (remember Pro's take up to 2 years to ingrain swing changes) if during that week, all you did was what your friends told you then we have to take you backwards and start again... means you have wasted a week...
Paul will probebly agree with me, this is most frustrating, if you paid me in the 1st place then why not listen to me???? If you think your 24 handicap mate knows more I am happy to split the fee.... Smile

4) BE POSITIVE!!! you are learning something totally new and alien... when you hit a good shot enjoy it... watch it and remember it....
When you hit a bad shot forget it tell yourself oh well I am learning after all... beginners are so hard on themsleves... golf is not easy....

5) The driver is the longest club in your bag, therefore repeated swings with it while learning will do more harm than good....
Train with the 7 iron test with the other clubs...

My students are taught 5 balls with 7 iron then 2 with Driver... 5 with 7 then 2 with driver...
BUT!!! If you smash the 1st one with the driver, and it is one of the best shots you have ever hit, then it goes back in the bag.... reason being you are feeling good, and we all no the 2nd shot will not be as good as the 1st so you will be disappointed... dont let that happen, remember the good shots...

There is more but I am just back from Starhill and my girl says I am smelly so better go bath...

Glad to help boys and girls as is Paul ask away.....

Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Shorthitter...that's great advise. Especially taking advise from friends. I would add one more...stop looking at golf instruction in magazines. Pictures don;t always reflect what is really happening. See a instructor who is knowledgeable and does not make all their students swing a particular style is always good.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Good words shorty. Friends have great intentions but it usually ends in disatrous results. If you had cancer you would go see a dcotor, not ask your friend what to do. We instructors are like doctors for your swing. yelnats, great advise about tips from magazines...not advisable either. We all have a swing pattern so not all tips suit all swings.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for the pics RSC. they are awesome and they look just like me.......not just in terms of the poor swing posture but also the black socks with Golf shoes

kiak kiak kiak

I always go to the driving range after work and realise "ALAMAK....forgot to bring socks again....boh pian ....have to wear my dress socks with golf shoes" clown
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 am

This pattern is a common problem I see with particularly ladies and young junior golfers. It makes it impossible to hit the ball in the air with any sort of power. It all stems from a poor grip and a lack of strength in the wrists and forearms. This is when the golfer lifts the club up in the takeaway with their arms as shown below
Ask the Pro Hinge710
Ask the Pro Hinge810
Notice how high the hands are and how much further they are away from the body
From behind it also results in a very closed clubface making it impossible to get any height on the shot
Ask the Pro Hinge210
Clubface very closed, shaft very steep
Ask the Pro Hinge310
Their is a lack of leverage in the swing resulting in no power
Ask the Pro Hinge910
As the club is so closed and shaft so steep, she must open the club back up at impact causing the arms to bend
Ask the Pro Hinge110
From behind the shaft being so steep means the hands have to get high through impact with no leverage
or any power
Ask the Pro Hinge510
After impact the chicken wing will result and alot of topped and duffed shots.
Ask the Pro Hinge111
The problem stems from a poor grip and the arms moving more than the club head
Ask the Pro Hinge610
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:44 am

Man Paulie dont you sleep??? Very Happy

I just wanted to add 1 more to the positive practice.... I dont no how to put pics.. Crying or Very sad

Aim. The hole is about 110mm dia and 300+ metres away.... even on the range it is important to get used to aiming for something...

Most beginners align their feet to the target... that means the club must be pointing right of the target... (parallel remember)

So the only way to get the ball to go to the target is to develop an over the top pulling motion....

You understand now what I say about your swing maybe ok but your setup is wrong, but the first thing people do is change their swing.

And your helpful friends say "your coming over the top, try this" and now the swing is ruined, when realistacally all you had to do was point the clubface at the target then align your feet parallel to that line....

Always try to aim for distance marker so you get used to clubs distance as well....

Sorry no pics......
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:07 am

shorthitter wrote:
Man Paulie dont you sleep??? Very Happy

Insomnia mate. lol Na I have finally got some time free to get on forum. Things have been flat out. I seem to be eating and sleeping golf lessons at the moment. Love it though. Passionate. Hope u r well mate. Catch up for a game soon and I will show ya how to put up pics lol!
Back to top Go down
shaugn
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
shaugn

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for the pics and tips RSC!

Re the lady golfers above, I can clearly see the problems in the left pics. The ones on the right are the correct posture?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:51 am

shaugn wrote:
Thanks for the pics and tips RSC!

Re the lady golfers above, I can clearly see the problems in the left pics. The ones on the right are the correct posture?

Correct. Based on the Right Sided Swing methodology. Any swing method in general will not advise lifting the arms like the lady on the left or gripping it that way either. It is a very common problem I see with lady beginners in particular
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
TSL

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 9:30 am

Hi RSC,

may I ask if you have any advice on the types of exercises to help build up the strength in wrists and forearms for a more effective swing? Smile

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 1:06 pm

A weighted practice club has help me build up wrist & fore arm strength--that and hitting zillions of range balls over the past two years.

I was told to get the swing path/plane correct first, and then slowly speed up your swing while maintaining proper ball-striking.

Easier said than done.

For women & juniors, starting with lighter and more flexible clubs often help.

Once you build up strength and improve your swing techique, less flexible and a bit heavier clubs may improve your distance and control better.

At least that's what I have been told by a few golf coaches and club-fitters.

TIP: Get real expert advice (teaching pro/certified club fitter) before buying new set of golf clubs. Many of the big retail shops have sales staff that know very little about the golf equipment they sell and know nothing about your own golf swing.

Good luck.

CK
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 1:22 pm

get the ladies impact stik too... it will hep if you practise it correctly.
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
TSL

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 3:36 pm

clarencekim wrote:

For women & juniors, starting with lighter and more flexible clubs often help.

Once you build up strength and improve your swing techique, less flexible and a bit heavier clubs may improve your distance and control better.

At least that's what I have been told by a few golf coaches and club-fitters.

TIP: Get real expert advice (teaching pro/certified club fitter) before buying new set of golf clubs. Many of the big retail shops have sales staff that know very little about the golf equipment they sell and know nothing about your own golf swing.

Good luck.

CK

Thanks CK,

Appreciate your advice. Smile Definitely agree with you that getting real expert advice is crucial... so I'll be having a lesson with a golf pro at Keppel next weekend. Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ask the Pro Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro   Ask the Pro I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask the Pro
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.