Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quick Fix for Shots going left...

Go down 
+17
Ssquirrel
desyjean
jhan18
HyBriD
Cyp_PGA
JL_chong
yrt
chemicalpro
Straightman
weesern
Ron Lee
Desmando R
Victor3112
S70B
chocoman
JonL_TK
alvin7379
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

Quick Fix for Shots going left... Empty
PostSubject: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi guys,

I can hit the ball pretty well... but most of my iron shots (especially short irons) will have the tendency to go left. I am not talking about a hook shot... the ball will release from impact straight but towards the peak of the shot, it will make a bend towards left.

It is not exactly what I would call a draw (as a draw usually don't bend so much); And example of my pitching wedge... I usually hit about 100-110... assuming I am aiming at a pin point target, the ball will usually land about 5-10m left of the target.

Any suggestions to help rectify this niggling problem? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Aim more right...
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:30 pm

ur left hand grip too strong??

i may be wrong
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:33 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
Aim more right...

Haha... I know... that is really 'quick fix' but I am really looking at a permanent fix... rather than aiming off like shooting a rifle... Razz

Thanks anyway.. Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Are u fitted for ur equipment?

Hard to give advice without anyone here looking at ur swing but if u r playing stock equipment, chances are maybe the lie of ur clubs are a little too upright.

Again, I'm just guessing. It might be a myriad of problems ranging from grip to aim to swing which none of us here know.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 pm

chocoman wrote:

i may be wrong

Hum... I was once told that strong left hand grip will translate to a 'push' shot while a strong right hand grip will get a 'pull'...

It felt more like my lower body is turning faster than my arms & shoulders... so impact on the ball was not square thus creating the side-spin that causes the bend of the ball... but this is just my theory... Razz
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 4:36 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
chocoman wrote:

i may be wrong

Hum... I was once told that strong left hand grip will translate to a 'push' shot while a strong right hand grip will get a 'pull'...

It felt more like my lower body is turning faster than my arms & shoulders... so impact on the ball was not square thus creating the side-spin that causes the bend of the ball... but this is just my theory... Razz

Are you left handed? Everything sound opposite...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:08 am

S70B wrote:
Are u fitted for ur equipment?

Hard to give advice without anyone here looking at ur swing but if u r playing stock equipment, chances are maybe the lie of ur clubs are a little too upright.

Again, I'm just guessing. It might be a myriad of problems ranging from grip to aim to swing which none of us here know.

Hi S70B,

I'm using a set of stock irons (Callaway X-Forged) with Project X 6.0 Shafts. I have never really check if they are suitable for my swing... Razz been using them for 2 years liao...

Will probably drop by one of the evenings to Starry Starry Night and see if I can get some of the GRs to give me your comments... Smile
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:12 am

Victor3112 wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:
chocoman wrote:

i may be wrong

Are you left handed? Everything sound opposite...

Hi Victor,

I am right handed... not sure if I've got my facts right, it's just some hear say hear say I get from fellow golfers... didn't really thought much of it as I always try to maintain a balance grip on both hands without putting a stronger grip on either hands. I feel that a stronger grip on one hand will give erratic and inconsistent shots...
Back to top Go down
Desmando R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
Aim more right...

Haha... I know... that is really 'quick fix' but I am really looking at a permanent fix... rather than aiming off like shooting a rifle... Razz

Thanks anyway.. Smile

Hi, Do not know if you have gotten your answer yet, try straightening your left leg upon impact...

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Ron Lee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Desmando R wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
Aim more right...

Thanks anyway.. Smile

Hi, Do not know if you have gotten your answer yet, try straightening your left leg upon impact...

Cheers!

i hve the same problem cos i bring my club inside too much. i cant do the "rite way" going up instead of inside as i will shank. so rite now i m comfy with the "inside" swing. i tend to hook or pull doing so. but i tend to be able to correct the pull/hook by delaying the club head release. drag your club head lag as long as u can n just before impact, release your club. this helps me to correct my hook/pull flight profile.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

when u say straonger right/left hand, u mean the grip position or the tightness of ur grip?

Usually if the lower body to too fast the ball will go right, unless u do something about the hands.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 pm

weesern wrote:
when u say straonger right/left hand, u mean the grip position or the tightness of ur grip?

Usually if the lower body to too fast the ball will go right, unless u do something about the hands.

I think my lower body is moving that wee bit faster than my shoulders & arms... causing the pulling effect. And I also got to find out from DGman that my irons are a bit too short for my height... hopefully lengthening it will help me quiet down my lower body movement.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Desmando R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Ron Lee wrote:
Desmando R wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
Aim more right...

Thanks anyway.. Smile

Cheers!

i hve the same problem cos i bring my club inside too much. i cant do the "rite way" going up instead of inside as i will shank. so rite now i m comfy with the "inside" swing. i tend to hook or pull doing so. but i tend to be able to correct the pull/hook by delaying the club head release. drag your club head lag as long as u can n just before impact, release your club. this helps me to correct my hook/pull flight profile.

if you shanked your ball, it might be because you push your body out toward the ball to ensure a ball strike... That's where the back to address position comes in! Pushing it out towards the ball also results in clubs going outside in! Since you mention tha you are comfortable with your swing, dun think too much to destroy it! Enjoy first talk later Smile
Back to top Go down
Straightman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 pm

There are only two possibilities of why one's short can go left. It's either your equipment or your swing. Have both checked.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Straightman wrote:
There are only two possibilities of why one's short can go left. It's either your equipment or your swing. Have both checked.

This is somewhat GENERAL dun you think... -_-'''
scratch
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 pm

If your ball starts off straight on the intended path, and moves left of target about 5-10m, isn't this a straight draw?

Could be you're imparting side spin through impact. Try putting your ball back about 1/2 ball in your stance and see what happens.

I have a feeing you would it hit straight and striaght should you hit it flush.

cheers
Back to top Go down
yrt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yrt

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Or maybe its your wrist movement upon impact?
Back to top Go down
http://chicnics.wordpress.com
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 3:53 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
If your ball starts off straight on the intended path, and moves left of target about 5-10m, isn't this a straight draw?

Could be you're imparting side spin through impact. Try putting your ball back about 1/2 ball in your stance and see what happens.

I have a feeing you would it hit straight and striaght should you hit it flush.

cheers
I kind of agreed with you. Think this is a natural mechanics of a good swing. Dun think a ball will launch straight and land straight. If like that tat means the ball got totally no spin which I doubt can happen. its either to the right or left...

I might be wrong since I'm not a pro... but heard this from a pro though... Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:50 pm

what my coach told me is that ur dominand hand for right hander is right control every thing the left hand is just a suport ...... then put u r grip weak will be one of the case or maybe ur swing plan on the first step maybe go too much inside take it straight back but if we could see picture of ur grip set up n swing will be easier to see the pb or if u want .... the best is to get lesson from a profesional teaching
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm

yeah first start straght then turn left draw ( my favorite shot ), straighht then turn a bit right ( fade).... its imposible to hit straight ball or u better than every touring pro
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm

I wouldn't say its impossible to hit an absolutely straight shot but the chances of squaring the clubface 100% all the time is rare!

Most of us would be happy with a spray angle of maybe 5-10m from where we intend our ball to land, be it off a fade or draw.

And like MC will always say "when you want it to draw it goes straight, when you want it to go straight it draws".

Tio bo MC? Laughing
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Hi guys,

I can hit the ball pretty well... but most of my iron shots (especially short irons) will have the tendency to go left. I am not talking about a hook shot... the ball will release from impact straight but towards the peak of the shot, it will make a bend towards left.

It is not exactly what I would call a draw (as a draw usually don't bend so much); And example of my pitching wedge... I usually hit about 100-110... assuming I am aiming at a pin point target, the ball will usually land about 5-10m left of the target.

Any suggestions to help rectify this niggling problem? Smile

may i ask what golf ball brand do you use?

Sometimes it's due to the ball.
Or sometimes the wind can cause that.

You could also aim to the right.
for example if the flag is on the center, aim 5yards right, so that the ball will fly left to your target.

just my 5 cent of idea
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 pm

HyBriD wrote:

may i ask what golf ball brand do you use?

Sometimes it's due to the ball.
Or sometimes the wind can cause that.

You could also aim to the right.
for example if the flag is on the center, aim 5yards right, so that the ball will fly left to your target.

just my 5 cent of idea

Hum... regardless of the ball I use... even when I am down at the range...

I'm thinking of droping by the MBGC tomorrow for SSN... perhaps someone can give me their pointers when they get to see my swing... Smile
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm

It seems like you are coming across it(ie out to in). It's not uncommon to see that shot pattern in the short irons. It is caused by a combination of getting ahead of the ball on the downswing(ie sliding) with a clubface that is lagging behind and releasing in order to catch up to hit the ball. Here are some simple drills you can practice. Hit balls at the edge of the mat9your left foot at the end of the mat) If you are going to slide, you would slide off the mat. You can practice also by hitting 3 quarter shots but follow through with a long right arm pass your hip. You should feel that your right shoulder is passing under your chin. These are my assumptions. It could be grip or even lie angle. Pretty hard to tell you what to do without seeing your swing mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Fix for Shots going left...   Quick Fix for Shots going left... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick Fix for Shots going left...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next