Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do I need a Gap Wedge?

Go down 
+5
ughly
ghoonk
fribriz
ron81
Tiger Wu
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiger Wu
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Tiger Wu

Do I need a Gap Wedge? Empty
PostSubject: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi Guys,

My PW is 47 and SW is 56, which means that I have a 9 degree gap between them. It's a big gap What a Face Should I get a 50/52 Gap wedge? I understand that some will said just adjust the position of ball or choke down the PW to fill this distance gap. So, I am puzzled Question Question Question

If I do need a Gap Wedge, which one will be better? 50 or 52?

Please help! HELP Thanks cheers
Back to top Go down
ron81
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ron81

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 5:23 pm

For me the 52° is the most useful club in my bag, work for anything below 100m to apron..

I think the degree for the wedge is very individual, some have 2 like me 52° n 58°, some goes for 3 pcs 52°,56°,60°..
Back to top Go down
fribriz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fribriz

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:04 pm

TW, the decision to use a Gap Wedge will be entirely yours. Below 100m, what shots can be played? To answer this would require an evaluation of the current shot conditions, lie of the ball, wind conditions, green conditions (fast, slow, pin position, level green, undulating green etc.) With this information, you can then assess what shot to play. Different players with similar ball position will also resort to different shots.

For me, the gap wedge used to be my favourite - that is the club I pull out whenever the ball is 100m or less to the green. These days I tend to use the PW, 8I or even 6I to play a bump and run as I find that it is easier to execute more accurately than to lob the ball close to the pin and hope it doesn't roll out of the green.

I guess the simple answer would be that it depends on the playing conditions and your confidence level in using the right club when the situation warrants.

BTW I have a 52, 56 and 58 in my bag - their services are called upon when I think I have the highest shot making chance.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:22 pm

With a 9* gap between your PW and your SW, you can skip the GW if you are able to control your PW shot. My GW is my 100 yd iron, 56 is 85 yds. I don't carry a 60* cos i need some long range bombers (3w and 2 hybrids), and I don't control my 60 very well.
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 7:16 pm

fribriz wrote:

For me, the gap wedge used to be my favourite - that is the club I pull out whenever the ball is 100m or less to the green. These days I tend to use the PW, 8I or even 6I to play a bump and run as I find that it is easier to execute more accurately than to lob the ball close to the pin and hope it doesn't roll out of the green.

My mentality is exactly the same as above. I hardly use my 52* nowadays. unless i am 75m from pin and have a bunker to carry, then i will use my 52, otherwise, use a PW and pitch and run it.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 7:50 pm

My view....I think it is better to work backwards (in golf sense hor....don think other things)....meaning...find the distance tht you want to cover....and then find the club.....if your present PW (as example) can cover that distance fm flag, then don need lah....

Or maybe you experinece certain lies that you comfortable with certain bounce or loft...

bottomline like Mr.Deng said....don care what cat, can catch mouse is a good cat
Back to top Go down
Tiger Wu
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Tiger Wu

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 11:27 am

Guys,

Thanks for the tip! Btw, Pan West is selling Callaway X Forged Wedge @ $69 each. Check it out... please buy Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 2:57 pm

I carry 4 wedges 46, 50, 55 & 60 degrees. Very useful for approaches as you less rely on guesstimating those 60-70% strength shots.

I'd suggest the same unless you really have to bridge those yardages between your woods and hybrids/long irons more than your approaches.

Good luck bro!
Back to top Go down
khan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
khan

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:21 pm

[quote="Tiger Wu"]Guys,

Thanks for the tip! Btw, Pan West is selling Callaway X Forged Wedge @ $69 each. Check it out... please buy Twisted Evil[/quote

think only left the 60, and one or two 58..
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 pm

i am new to the sports and don't know enough to control my shots. the thought of 1/4, half, 3/4 swing baffled me. so i carry 4 wedges 48, 52, 56 and 60 degrees and simply let go. all callayway x forged vintage. bought them at $99 each. now only $69 each. i should have waited longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I need a Gap Wedge?   Do I need a Gap Wedge? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do I need a Gap Wedge?
Page 1 of 1