Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ahdan78
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ahdan78

Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys   Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Sharing something i found on a Japanese website, some interesting surveys.....

Golf Digest Online or GDO as it is better known as here in Japan recently released an all new Free magazine called GDO Style Book. This magazine focuses more on trends in the golfing world and the lifestyle aspects of both professional and recreational golfers. Volume 1 which just came out has Ai Miyazato on on the cover with her mom and dad as part of a feature in the magazine on pros lady golfers and their parents.

Also included in the magazine was a part of GDO's recent online survey which I also took part in back in July. GDO not only asked 5000 golfers about equipment, but also food, tv shows and cars and lifestyle related questions. The results were interesting so I thought I would share some of the results them here with you. (I won't show the food or tv or other Japanese lifestyle related results)

Players with average scores UNDER 80 were asked what they considered to be the best brands for specific clubs and the results came out as follows:
DriverFairway WoodsUtilitiesIronsWedgesPutters
1. Taylormade1. Taylormade1. Taylormade1. Tourstage1. Titleist1. Odyssey
2. Callaway2. Tourstage2. Titleist2. Mizuno2. Callaway2. Cameron
3. Titleist3. Callaway3. Callaway3. Callaway3. Tourstage3. Taylormade
4. Tourstage4. Royal Collection4. Cobra4. Titleist4. Fourteen4. Ping
5. Yamaha5. Titleist5. Royal Collection5. Srixon5. Mizuno5. Yes! Golf
As always Taylormade shows it has a strong following in Japan and the results give Taylormade Japan good reason to continue to market and focus on developing Japan only market products for the demanding golfer. US brands TM, Callaway and Titleist all show their strong presence in Japan giving big Japanese brands like Tourstage and Mizuno a run for their money. Royal Collection, long been known to make the best woods and utilities still ranks in the top 5 and Fourteen, best know for the wedges places strong in that category.
The above results were base on the answers of single digit handicappers and scratch golfers. If you look at the overall results including all level players the results do change very slightly with XXIO a top brand for the average golfer really helping Srixon move up in the rankings:
DriverIronsPutters
1. Taylormade1. Tourstage1. Odyssey
2. Srixon/XXIO2. Srixon/XXIO2. Other Maker
3. Tourstage3. Taylormade3. Taylormade
4. Callaway4. Callaway4. Cameron
5. Nike5. Mizuno5. Ping
GDO asked all the survey participants who their favorite pro golfer is and the results were as follows:
1. Tiger Woods 2. Ryo Ishikawa 3. Ryuji Imada 4. Azuma Yano 5. Shingo Katayama 6. Hideto Tanihara 7. Shigeki Maruyama 8. Tommy Nakajima 9. Keiichi Fukabori 10. Phil Mickleson
GDO then the showed results of what was in each survey participants bag based on who their favorite pro is:
Favorite Player: Tiger WoodsFavorite Player: Ryo IshikawaFavorite Player: Ryuji Imada
DriverDriverDriver
1. Taylormade1. Taylormade1. Taylormade
2. Tourstage2. Srixon/XXIO2. Srixon/XXIO
3. Srixon/XXIO3. Tourstage3. Callaway
4. Nike4. Callaway4. Tourstage
5. Callaway5. Nike5. Titleist
IronsIronsIrons
1. Tourstage1. Srixon/XXIO1. Srixon/XXIO
2. Srixon/XXIO2. Tourstage2. Taylormade
3. Mizuno3. Taylormade3. Callaway
4. Callaway4. Callaway4. Tourstage
5. Taylormade5. Mizuno5. Mizuno
PutterPutterPutter
1. Odyssey1. Odyssey1. Odyssey
2. Taylormade2. Taylormade2. Taylormade
3. Cameron3. Ping3. Cameron
So who your favorite pro is does not seem to affect whats in your bag in Japan. GDO then showed results on what kind of CAR a golfer wants to own based on the driver in his bag:
Taylormade Drivers
Tourstage Drivers
Callaway Drivers
1. BMW1. Mercedes Benz1. Mercedes Benz
2. Mercedes Benz2. BMW2. BMW
3. Audi3. Porsche3. Porsche
4. Porsche4. Audi4. Audi
5. Volvo5. Maserati5. Volvo
The last results I'll post here is how much on average a golfer spends MONTHLY on golf related expenditures (converted to US Dollars based on a 93yen dollar).
43.6% $215.00 to $538.00
35.9% Under $215.00
8.7% $538.00 to $860.00
8.0% $860.00 to $1075.00
2.1% $1075.00 to $1613.00
1.7% Over $1613.00
So 43.6% of the golfers surveyed spend $2580.00 to $6456.00 a year on golf. A small 2.1% spend $12900.00 to $19356.00 annually and a 1.7% spend over $19356.00 a year. When you think of it though even 1.7% of 5000 respondents is 85 people. Golf is definitely an expensive pastime but one that Japanese golfers won't hesitate to pay for.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys   Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 10:57 am

Am surprised that Scotty putter not even in the list ... As for me, my preferred choice are as follow:

Driver - Titleist or Cobra
Woods - Titleist, Cobra, Cleveland or Nike
Hybrid - Cobra
Irons - Mizuno or Nike blade
Putter - Scotty Cameron
Balls - Nike Vapor

Merry XMAS to all GR members!!

santa
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys   Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Taylormade putter? I am shocked. I love Taylormade stuff except their putters.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys   Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Have la, its under 'Cameron'.

There's a Scotty Cameron Museum in Japan. U wud think that it has some cult following there.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys   Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 pm

The surprise for me was TM being the top and Titleist behind. I thought Titleist's gear is more used by more golfers and the fact that they are made for players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys   Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting Golf Digest Online Surveys
Page 1 of 1