Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Started losing friends - after playing good golf

Go down 
+31
Vinny
golfool2009
ChrisD
milos9680
stickman
Winston
Technospaz
sob
vinjess
willytan
lousyswinger
Kaii
ocp23
abadan
Derek
nutty88
s-killer
scottycollector
Xavier.t
slinger
andrew-golf
d1g
skybobo
Chunky Munky
chien
Gofnut
neutralgolfer
flashpacker
Turbo
oldie-newbie
SS10KARTHIK
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ocp23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 4:39 pm

This is an interesting topic. Just to add to all the discussion. Sometime we need to also understand our golf kakis. Generally there is a group of keen golfers and there is another group who is less keen.  

The keen group will go all out to practice on range, buy/sell golf clubs, organise golf games and book golf flights diligently....etc. The less keen group are more passive. They may have some interests, but they will not go all out like the first group. Some of them play golf for sake of work (to entertain  their boss or clients).

You are probably in the first group whereas your kakis are in the second group. The only way to keep your kaki motivated is to level the playing field by giving strokes and also reduce the bets (if any) and tee from the White. When I play with this group, I will normally not initiate any betting (unless they insist) nor insist on blue or white tee. Let them decide.

The next thing your can do is to expand your circles to include other golfers that share the same aspiration as you. 

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
SS10KARTHIK
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
SS10KARTHIK

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks you all for the good pointers & feedback. Some of them were very good. As you know i am not very active on GR. However all support given was much appreciated. One of these days I might join GR Event so that i get to know u all in person.

For now i will follow Derek comments - I personally think that might work out well. Hoping for the best.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 pm

many times, its not the money for small bets. its the attitude n etiquette of the golfer.

my advise to people with poor character is stop golfing , you only create more enemies than friends.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Derek wrote:
Hi all,

Without over analysing the whole thing, can I ask the thread starter (TS) one simple question?

How often do you win playing with your kakis?

If the answer is all the time, then you are not giving enough strokes.  The whole idea behind golf and the handicap system is that people of different skill levels can compete against each other.  The underlying principle behind the handicap system is the integrity to assess the differences in skill (and scoring, not always the same thing) honestly.

Can I suggest the following?  Especially if these are your friends and your bets are small ...

How many strokes would you have to give them such that 75% of the time, you are going to LOSE?

That is the number you should be looking at.  If you play a good round and manage to win, it is even more special.  If it drives you to improve further so your winning rate increases, even better, you have become better and you can now give more strokes so that you start to LOSE again.

If you insist on playing off a level basis, then it is not surprising that your mates do not want to play with you.

If you do not know where to start, my suggestion, based on what you have posted is simple.  110 minus 95 = 15.  Why don't you give your friends 1 stroke on every hole except Par 3s?  If you still win, give more ...

Have fun!

That's giving a 7-7.
Your friends sure come back to you. 
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 6:29 pm

flashpacker wrote:
Derek wrote:
Hi all,

Without over analysing the whole thing, can I ask the thread starter (TS) one simple question?

How often do you win playing with your kakis?

If the answer is all the time, then you are not giving enough strokes.  The whole idea behind golf and the handicap system is that people of different skill levels can compete against each other.  The underlying principle behind the handicap system is the integrity to assess the differences in skill (and scoring, not always the same thing) honestly.

Can I suggest the following?  Especially if these are your friends and your bets are small ...

How many strokes would you have to give them such that 75% of the time, you are going to LOSE?

That is the number you should be looking at.  If you play a good round and manage to win, it is even more special.  If it drives you to improve further so your winning rate increases, even better, you have become better and you can now give more strokes so that you start to LOSE again.

If you insist on playing off a level basis, then it is not surprising that your mates do not want to play with you.

If you do not know where to start, my suggestion, based on what you have posted is simple.  110 minus 95 = 15.  Why don't you give your friends 1 stroke on every hole except Par 3s?  If you still win, give more ...

Have fun!

That's giving a 7-7.
Your friends sure come back to you. 
Very Happy
Thought they foresaw this issue and created the handicap system so all levels of players can enjoy the game together. 
Face Hug
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 pm

TS@ no worries for lack of kakis if u are a wkday warrior, the only worry you will have is to join who to play.

If your current kakis are avoiding you, u still start looking for other groups to improve or the least to maintain your score.

I have a wkday kaki group with vary standard; 110s to 80s. Feel free to pm me if you wanna join the group.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 9:01 pm

willytan wrote:
TS@ no worries for lack of kakis if u are a wkday warrior, the only worry you will have is to join who to play.

If your current kakis are avoiding you, u still start looking for other groups to improve or the least to maintain your score.

I have a wkday kaki group with vary standard; 110s to 80s. Feel free to pm me if you wanna join the group.

Bro, u missed out saying u r low 70s. Kekekekekekeke.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:05 pm

vinjess wrote:
willytan wrote:

Bro, u missed out saying u r low 70s. Kekekekekekeke.
Wah Bro Willy secret out in open liao!!
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Alvin@ 

If I m playing low 70s, I wld have quit my day job and go into full time golfing career as a touring pro or coaching pro Liao.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Why are you playing off blue when you're playing in the mid-90s? I think that's not entirely responsible but more to your point, it seems that you're unwilling to accommodate your friends who aren't playing as well as you are. Golf is a game of fellowship (yes, it is) so you can do one of 2 things:

1. Be more accommodating and offer to play off white just so that you can play with your friends.
2. Find new friends who, like you, will play off blue tees and shoot in the mid-90s.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 7:31 am

This is my 2 dongs worth.

I have played with many many people of varying standards. from pros to grandpas who take out drivers for 150yd par 3. 

I guess it's just about looking at yourself when you play. 

I use to play regularly with a single handicapper until he was posted back to Singapore. when he plays with us, its off white. When he plays with same level players, its blue or maybe even further back. He has no qualms about it. Easy going. fun loving guy. He told me that we always play to the weakest player's level. 

I am lucky to learn this from him from an early stage and hence it has helped me adapt when playing with new people. when they start all the trash talk, I give it as good as I get. if they seem to be serious players, I follow like wise. its all about accommodating each other

From your post whereby you talked about how good you have become,(BTW congrats on reaping the benefits of your hard work and effort) it seems to point out only how you are better than your friends and how they have deserted you. It might serve you well to look at it from their perspective. 

I have never lost friends because of playing better golf, I have only stop playing with players who have no etiquette on the course.
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 am

By Winston: "I use to play regularly with a single handicapper until he was posted back to Singapore. when he plays with us, its off white. When he plays with same level players, its blue or maybe even further back. He has no qualms about it. Easy going. fun loving guy. He told me that we always play to the weakest player's level. "

A great advice and I am going to adopt it. But I am still playing at white tees!!!!Any tees between white and red, just kidding!!!!
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 9:04 am

Winston wrote:

I have played with many many people of varying standards. from pros to grandpas who take out drivers for 150yd par 3. 

I use to play regularly with a single handicapper until he was posted back to Singapore. when he plays with us, its off white. When he plays with same level players, its blue or maybe even further back. He has no qualms about it. Easy going. fun loving guy. He told me that we always play to the weakest player's level. 

I am lucky to learn this from him from an early stage and hence it has helped me adapt when playing with new people. when they start all the trash talk, I give it as good as I get. if they seem to be serious players, I follow like wise. its all about accommodating each other

From your post whereby you talked about how good you have become,(BTW congrats on reaping the benefits of your hard work and effort) it seems to point out only how you are better than your friends and how they have deserted you. It might serve you well to look at it from their perspective. 

I have never lost friends because of playing better golf, I have only stop playing with players who have no etiquette on the course.

The dongs are worth more than 2. 
Well said. cheers
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 9:26 am

willytan wrote:
Alvin@ 

If I m playing low 70s, I wld have quit my day job and go into full time golfing career as a touring pro or coaching pro Liao.
Bro, if you are playing the low 70s, I doubt you can make it successfully as a touring pro ... Perhaps a teaching pro is still fine ... You need much more than playing in the 70s to be a successful touring pro ... One needs to be a consistent scratch player plus appropriate mental strength to be in this league ... Cheers!
Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 am

Winston wrote:

Well said Winston,  personally you should reap the benefit from your hard work and constant practice.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 am

Willy is a pro to be soon. Woohoo....
Playing 70s constantly is his game now.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 1:14 pm

personally...... I dun think such incidents befall upon me

maybe its my humble n charming disposition....

hahahaha
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 pm

I gained new friends....scary friends....friends I can't un-friend.....friends i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy....friends that like to say strange words like "up", "press", "aiyah..paiseh..birdie again"....

if i were you...i'd stick to my old friends...go back..play from white...shoot in the 100s.....
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm

scratch Amazing!!!! How is it that a complex game like golf has been made even more complicated.......scratchscratch

Judging from the amount of response garnered by this thread ~ golf has now been transformed to a whole new ball game....... Seems like the gathering of golf buddies / weekend warriors on a 18 hole golf course to foster camaraderie is now out of the window ~ not to mention sportsmanship or other good qualities that come with the game. 

So, is it the game's fault or is it society that made us such competitive or even KS creatures.......

Happy SG50 ~ don't forget to vote

SEMANGAT!!!!! Beer
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 3:47 pm

I think u may have forgot "triple"!!!
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 4:27 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
I gained new friends....scary friends....friends I can't un-friend.....friends i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy....friends that like to say strange words like "up", "press", "aiyah..paiseh..birdie again"....

if i were you...i'd stick to my old friends...go back..play from white...shoot in the 100s.....

Scary friends indeed!!
 Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
newbiegolfie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 10:26 am

i play with some of my friends who are single handicappers..and i still love playing with them ..despite some x they have to wait for me.. To me, non tourament golf is a game to enjoy with good friends.. to spend the day together having porny jokes..and loads of trash talking.. 

I dare to say, my good golfing friends are not losing in fact getting more friends. Booking them seems to be harder as they are real 'Hot' fav to many of their golfing kakis . Being accommodating and humble is the most impt.

anyhow, we always tee from white....  and they always give me FOC mulligan, of course with some guidance..!!! LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
zhian
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Give your kakis 1 hole 1 stroke, and increase the stakes of betting. See if they come back playing with you again or not.... bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 pm

golfool2009 wrote:

I would never do that to you. I wish I could but I suck at the sport. If anything, I'd use those terms as follows:

"Crap, I F'd UP again"

"Please don't press me to increase bets!"

"Aiyah, paiseh... I almost killed the birdie with my stray shot"
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 5:55 pm

I would agree with most of the comments here. My experience is exactly the opposite of OP. I think it's a privilege to play with very good players because I also learn when I watch them play. Only worry is whether they want to play with me - a bit paiseh every other hole to ask a single handicapper "errrr did you see where my ball landed...?" Very Happy

But so far all the good players I've played with have always played at the white tee without any problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing good golf   Started losing friends - after playing good golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Started losing friends - after playing good golf
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next