Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone change golf grips size before ?

Go down 
+9
locoBware
flashpacker
Nam Flog
Winston
Turbo
abadan
TaylorMadeKL
leobody
Golf noob
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

Anyone change golf grips size before ? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi fellow bros out there,anyone change your irons grips from standard size to medium size before? I understand that by changing to medium size it will affect the swing weight,anyone here changed before without any alternations n any diff in terms of feel? Thanks
Back to top Go down
leobody
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 10:07 pm

I did the change. . Depends on the size of your hands. For me I have long fingers so normal grip dun fit well. The mid size grip prevents me from gripping too tightly which found it to be beneficial to my swing
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 10:12 pm

I did the change as well to all my clubs... Was worried abt the changes in SW and feel so I change only one club in my iron set first. Tried it for a few rounds and I could not really feel much changes in terms of SW and feel... The fitter measured the SW and the change was only one point (iirc)... Maybe I am not good enough to feel the changes if there are any...
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks cause I'm planning to make a change too so seeking advise around which also worry about the change SW will affect the feel ...thanks so much and appreciate your replies leobody and taylormadeKL have a great weekend ahead!!
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 10:56 pm

There are plenty of grip choices in the market that comes in various weights. Depending on which grip u choose, the fitter will be able to give u advice in terms of whether it will affect the sw or not.

My advice is to change one grip first, like for your 8 or 7 iron. If it works out. Then change the rest. Experiment with one club so u don't waste money.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 11:37 pm

The most expensive grip in the marketplace is Muzzik (made in Japan). Even more expensive than IOMIC ... Not sure if it is good ...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:07 am

I change all my grips to Mid size + one round of tape as I do have big hands. When I try friends clubs, Cannot tell the difference in weight, can only feel that my fingers seem to be digging more into my palm. 

I am sure that any respectable fitter would have "samples" for you to wrap your hands around it to have a feel. I know Big Fish Golf has.
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 5:26 am

Thanks guys I probably will install one and try if it affect the SW, nevertheless will be best if can find one medium size one with a similar weight with my current standard size grip but doubt so...
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 am

Hi Golf Noob,

I changed to mid size as well. Yes it is very irritating cos SW will decrease. I have 2 layers of tape so even heavier. But first make sure that you really understand swing weight properly. It is totally different from actual weight. You can have a 420g club that is D1, also possible to have a 460g club that is C2.

Maybe you can take the chance to do a proper fitting and experiment abit (of course spend abit more). Many things can be done to achieve swing weights of your choice. You can choose a lighter grip, lengthen the shaft (you never know it might be what you actually need), install tip weights etc.

Also remember don't conclude that you need mid size grips yourself, talk to your fitter and have him measure your hands and fingers. Then also show him how you grip your clubs so that he can see for himself and make better judgement.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:41 am

I doubt sw will change all that drastically. Unless u choose a really heavy grip and add layers of tape.. I'm guessing it'll change by 1 point at most. e.g from D2 to D1. If you feel that one point will affect you alot.. You can always add lead tape to ur heads, without the cost of removing the heads to add weight to the hozzle or shaft tips.. Every 2grams of weight will add one point in SW. Alternatively,  u could also trim the butt ends of ur shafts to achieve ur desired SW. 

Still, I'd go to a gd fitter to take all the "guessing" out of the equation.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 pm

A fitter can help you select the right grip so as to maintain the swing weight.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks think I have to visit a fitter maybe next week...
Back to top Go down
locoBware
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 2:49 pm

I have changed grips to mid-size. No more blisters on my hands now & better feel of the grip. It actually improved my swing/game.
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Go and visit Benz at punggol range (Torque Golf). He will measure your hands and will suggest a grip that will be right for you. He will let you try demo grips to allow you to feel what you're getting as well. Important to get the grip right!
Back to top Go down
swingandstroke
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
swingandstroke

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 5:10 pm

I recommend changing the grip on just one club first before plunging in for the whole set. I tried to changing to mid-size but found that it didn't fit me well at all.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 12:24 am

or use regular size grip and add as many tapes as necessary
Back to top Go down
golfstop.joel
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Actually changing the grips to the right size for your hands are very important. If the grip is too small, it is very easy to hook the ball more often as it is easier to rotate the club. if the grip is too big it tends to cause major slice as the bigger the grip the harder it is to rotate the club
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone change golf grips size before ?   Anyone change golf grips size before ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone change golf grips size before ?
Page 1 of 1