Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?

Go down 
+11
nrafee
Gray
Ssquirrel
Antgolfer
dezng
Newtogolf
Hogan
pushslice
zincman
bp11
kevinhwc
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? Empty
PostSubject: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi guys,

New to golf, in fact went for my first lesson today (rewarded with pains everywhere). I am currently using a Wilson Ultra set given by my friend who upgraded. My coach told me that this set is not exactly for beginner and is heavy (I personally feel it's heavy too!!).

Should I change or should I continue using? I was introduced to Gosen ($599 full set with bag). I already have a s Cleveland stand bag anyway (bought from Golf Direct). My thinking is that if I'm spending $599, might as well get a better set like TM or Callaway or Titleist??

Appreciate your comments.
Back to top Go down
bp11
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Go for a better brand than Gosen - not good in my opinion. If you plan to take up golf long term and can stretch your budget a little further, i recommend callaway as a very safe option! Can buy driver/woods etc second hand at far east plaza on orchard!
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 pm

That's what I'm thinking. Since if I have to spend 599 on a set, I would ratehr get something better (of coz to pay more as well).

I have 2 options now
1. Use my existing Wilson set until I can hit the call consistently straight; or
2. Get another set with graphite shaft. If that the case, I'm thinking either TM or Callaway or Titleist or Ping.
Back to top Go down
bp11
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:33 am

cool! hint - if you are just starting avoid titleist, not so forgiving.

happy shopping
Back to top Go down
zincman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:00 am

bro, u may consider to buy the Callaway X20 from Golf Direct, my buddy bought 399 or pay 425 for the TM super launch
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:55 am

buy the x-20, buy a tm xft sand wedge for 99. that is 498. You still have $102 to spend.

Buy a second hand driver. I have one Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, regular flex US spec for sale on the GR market place for only $70. Better than driver from those 14-club sets.

You have $32 left. If you are willing to pay $50 more, you can buy a brand new cleveland classic putter.

pardon my commercial break Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:16 am

Is the callaway x20 or TM superlauncher as heavy?

Not sure is it my irons or bcos I'm new n just after my first lesson yesterday now my whole arm and backbone is aching.
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 am

You will probably experiment with more clubs in time to come. So only spend good money when you are ready, ie, when your swing is sound. Your coach should teach you a good swing first. All modern clubs are ok to different people. If you have a sound swing and understand the theories of golf swing, you will be able to adjust to any club. Of course, you will find some favourites too.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 am

ok.... i'll think abt it seriously. frankly i'm not willing to spend $599 on a Gosen set but I;m not sure what suits me at the moment (I know nuts about golf yet).

I'll either stick to my existing set or go for what other bros here recommend after trying out the clubs...
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi there, I'm pretty new at the game too. Still spending my time on the Range with a set of loaned irons. Haven't even gotten my first set...

I think its best to change only after your swing for all the irons, 5 Wood, 3 Wood and 1 Wood are consistent and sound.

Which probably means (in my own terms), you can fire off at least 200 shots for each of the clubs with 85% consistency (or 170 out of 200). Right now, I'm just past the 25% marker though~ Still working hard...

Maybe I'm getting too strict with myself.... Hmm~ Sad
Back to top Go down
dezng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:01 pm

I think getting your own set of golf club is important when starting out. Unless you're not sure about the game but if you do, getting your own set will make you feel more committed and serious about improving your game. After only a month at the range, I bought my first golf set. People say it's less forgiving, maybe it is but I'm dead set on training to hit it well regardless and it turn out to be not as frustrating as I thought it would be. When I hit the sweet spot it's pure bliss. I got myself a 3-PW Titleist AP2 710 iron set. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi,
I'm new to golf too. Just started last year sept. In order to enjoy golf, to get a forgiving golf is very important so that you can enjoy the game. You will very be demotivated if you started off with hard to play irons and made worse because of your lousy golf swing. My beginning fear was if I gat a brand new good golf set, my skill will destroy the expensive good irons.

I started off with a beginner set using powerbilt bought during the Isetan golf sale and have just changed to TM burner 2.0 irons. If I am given a chance again, I will choose to buy a second hand branded and forgiving golf set costing around 300, then go on to buy a better intermediate set if your interest in golf persist and grow over the months. I must say I am enjoying it very much with my progress and new irons. Fairway woods and driver are very difficult club to play, so dun have to buy very good ones. Cos good ones are very costly! We are still trying to find our perfect swing.

Read up on more information in GR forum and you will find out that many brands have their different categories of club meant for different type of golfers. It's like car, one brand many models available depending on your preference. So know yourself better is the key!

Enjoy the game!
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm at Isetan. PW is selling burner 1.0 4-pw + driver + fw with bag at 1446. Japan spec graphite r shaft. A bit tempted.....
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm

I think I shall resist... Go for another lesson or 2 to c if my clubs are really prob...
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Btw is golf direct selling authentic clubs? I heard mix reviews.... I cannot differentiate.... Their stuff's really cheap compared to outside...
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 pm

I doubt they sell anything illegal as they openly advertise on newspaper.They are also in the golf market for a long time with a new branch in commonwealth. I bought my burner 2.0 from them just last Friday.

And my preference is to buy the latest model if it's brand new. More aftermarket value mah.

Last edited by Antgolfer on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:04 pm

There's many different stages in playing golf. Now my focus is improving my swing consistency wiTh my new irons. They feel good now! Just finished 2 ranges practises through the weekend. One of them wiTh my coach focusing on perfecting my swing. Can't wait to play on 9 holes course with my burner!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Antgolfer wrote:
One of them wiTh my coach focusing on perfecting my swing.
Wah.. this "perfect swing" is like the holy grail.. after golfing for a while, I don't know if there is such a thing... Now I only know.. got good results or bad results; and the score card only puts score, no section that describes swing.. .hehee. albino
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Haha true, I always ask myself that question. Even tiger wood engage a new coach to 'perfect' his swing. I guess for myself, it's the fundamental lah.... Mostly the twisting of hip. Super straining for my back Sad
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Hm.. Then shd b ok getting from them bah.... X20 is steel shafted... Worry will b heavy...
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:56 pm

X20 is only the model. They can have different shalt, steel or graphite. And graphite they may have R flex or S flex. I feel okay now with my US spec R flex. Since we are beginner, swing speed is not something we should focus. I am focusing on swing and hit the sweetspot. Get your shots to fly straight with consistent distance so that when you are at the course, we can use the right club to reach your target. We are not pro yet, so can gain distance slowly with the same club. This is where you feel that it's time to have your own best club possible to play the game.

These are from my experiences as beginner, there are better one from the pros out here in GR!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:06 pm

kevin, you are new to golf and hence you may not be hitting the ball well. You may hit the ground a lot, or your muscles may not be used to the swing motion yet. That's why you are aching and all..

But those steel shafts are just around 120 grams or less. Do you think 100gr plus are heavy? Even a avg slab of steak is about 220gr (that is, unless you live in the US)

I'm not aware of physical condition, I'm sorry if I make a wrong assumptions. Dun worry about Cally shaft weights, they are beginner friendly.

Enjoy your golf!
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Ho bro pushslice

Personally I felt it was quite heavy. My coach also said that it's on the heavy side. Saw the burner 1.0 at Isetan today, can really feel the difference.
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:19 pm

My hands and back ache the first time too because I hit the mat more than the ball. With more practises, you will feel better.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 pm

I sense another itchy backside forumner. Welcome to the club. Haha. Just buy what u think is chio. Your skill will come sooner or later. Heavy light etc etc. Your body will adjust one lah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?   Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie: Should I change my existing golf set?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next