Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game

Go down 
+8
haragolfer
beehome
Turbo
golferx
onime
timlim
kissthegreen
Birdman
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game Empty
PostSubject: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Here's an interesting and comprehensive article written by a professional golf ball engineer and coach.

It not only explains the differences and construction of a golf ball, it also helps the novice to skilled golfer choose the right type of ball along with suggestions of specific models and their design features.

It's an easy to understand guide for the golfer who has no clue on how to choose a golf ball.

FYI, the bottom half of the article is where he sells his instructional package.

Click on the link below

2014 Golf Ball Guide
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks birdman.. I always wanted to try bridgestone balls, but aint sure of suitability/performance. i am gonna give the e6 a try. Not sure if we have good deals for bridgestone balls locally, but amazon sell them for 26 USD per dozen.. probably go the latter route..
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:12 pm

No worries Kissthegreen.

The golf ball list isn't comprehensive but it's still a good nudge in the right direction.

Prices for Bridgestone balls are quite controlled here in Sg, unless you get them used.

I prefer the e5 for its greenside control, the e6 on the other hand reduces hooks and slices to keep the ball in the fairway but doesn't spin as much around the green.

Here's a GolfWRX article on the e5, e6, and e7 you might find helpful.

Guide to the Bridgestone e5, e6, e7 Balls
Back to top Go down
timlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 am

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
onime

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:52 am

Nice sharing thanks!
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golferx

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 9:26 am

Great Info. Thks.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks, birdman for the useful article ...

Thats why I am using NXT Tour & Callaway SR2 balls ... No point to use Lethal or Prov1 balls if one does not have the compression speed to optimize the capabilities of these premium balls ... Swallow the ego and face the reality ...  cheers

Last edited by Turbo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:30 am

kissthegreen wrote:
Thanks birdman.. I always wanted to try bridgestone balls, but aint sure of suitability/performance. i am gonna give the e6 a try. Not sure if we have good deals for bridgestone balls locally, but amazon sell them for 26 USD per dozen.. probably go the latter route..
I have used the e6 before. Distance wise, lose up to NXT Tour and Callaway Diablo Tour. However my tee shots for e6 were damn straight plus putting and chipping feel was "heavenly" ...
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Turbo wrote:
kissthegreen wrote:
I have used the e6 before. Distance wise, lose up to NXT Tour and Callaway Diablo Tour. However my tee shots for e6 were damn straight plus putting and chipping feel was "heavenly" ...
Turbo, how is a box of nxt tour going for nowadays?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

kissthegreen wrote:
Turbo wrote:
kissthegreen wrote:
GD and MST selling at $42+ per doz.

The new Callaway SR2 (3-piece construction) is equally good ...
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks Birdman for sharing.

I was also trying out some balls and after going full circle realised that it is either a 2 pc construction with soft cover or a 3 pc ball.
All the "better" ones eg..ProV, Penta5 or equivalent will not help my game much due to my swing speed.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 3:16 pm

thanks birdman. 

one pro told me before that if the ball has no backspin, sidespin also dont have. So sure go straighter.  happiness all around.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Turbo wrote:
kissthegreen wrote:
Turbo wrote:
kissthegreen wrote:

Treid GIGA Tour Urethane (3piece ball). Not bad too. Selling at GD for about $29 per box. Think this is the cheapest 3 piece Urethane cover balls.

According to golfwrx website, SR1 is 4piece, SR2 & SR3 is 5piece

http://www.golfwrx.com/160769/callaway-sr-1-sr-2-and-sr-3-golf-balls/
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 4:35 pm

You're most welcome everybody.

Guess it boils down to whether one wants to hit it straighter off the tee or wants more control around the greens.

And the one ball that gives us the most distance is the one most suited to the way we swing.

Initial launch velocity of the golf ball is governed by R&A rules, so even distance balls don't fly very much farther than performance or premium balls.

Both Golf Digest and Golf Magazine did extensive golf ball tests some years back, and distance balls were at most, only a few metres longer than premium balls.

Out of curiousity, I then test hit distance balls and premium balls off the same tee under real course conditions with my sub-90mph swing, and found both fly the same distance for me.

Then again, could it just be me?  scratch
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
kissthegreen wrote:
Turbo wrote:
kissthegreen wrote:

Treid GIGA Tour Urethane (3piece ball). Not bad too. Selling at GD for about $29 per box. Think this is the cheapest 3 piece Urethane cover balls.

According to golfwrx website, SR1 is 4piece, SR2 & SR3 is 5piece

http://www.golfwrx.com/160769/callaway-sr-1-sr-2-and-sr-3-golf-balls/
Strangely, SR2 is a 3-piece construction ball as clearly indicated on the back of the box (let me double check when I get home) and specially made for golfer with swing speed of 90 - 105 mph. SR3 is for tour calibre speed. And, SR1 is for swing speed below 90 mph. My swing speed is within the range of SR2 ... So I use SR2 ... I find it very good!
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Have your tried Hex Chrome or Chrome +? How is SR2 compared to Chrome?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 5:06 pm

According to the Callaway website, SR1 is a 4-piece while SR2 and SR3 are 5-piece balls.

Speaking of ball speed specific balls, the likes of Bridgestone and Callaway go the route of matching ball to swing speed, suggesting that how much you compress the ball with your driver is a factor.

Titleist ball fitting on the other hand suggests that swing speed doesn't matter and all golfers regardless will benefit from using balls like the Pro V1.

Different strokes for different folks?

How are you more likely to select your ball?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
Have your tried Hex Chrome or Chrome +? How is SR2 compared to Chrome?

The one thing I noticed about the Hex Chrome is that the ball dirties very fast and the brown and green marks stay on the ball.

The ball doesn't stay white.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 11:48 am

if i stay a flight behind birdman...

i think i can replenish my golf balls for a while...

dun matter what type of golf balls he use...

if its good for him.... its good for me
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 am

Hex Chrome is good.. Too bad going to stop. Sigh..
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

slinger wrote:

ROFL Good one!

But I oso have ball picker.  geek
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL Good one!

I think Slinger have a ball groper Laughing so he like to stay behind you....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 pm

4dtoto wrote:
Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL Good one!

Like that type used to cut rambutans off the tree?  Shocked
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Birdman wrote:
4dtoto wrote:
Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL Good one!

Like that type used to cut rambutans off the tree?  Shocked
you try lor...snip snip... lol!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL Good one!

The kind to pick yr 'balls'!?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game   How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Choose the Right Golf Ball for Your Game
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next