Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?

Go down 
+11
Golf noob
Turbo
timang84
ChrisD
odyssey23
willytan
Ant
babolat
cglim
Nam Flog
Gymrat76
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? Empty
PostSubject: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Is there such a thing? I was reading through some forum posts on GolfWRX that said there was no such thing, but yet when I got my new clubs I was told that the shafts needed some time to 'break in' to achieve max performance. Trying my new irons at the range I saw quite a large fluctuation in terms of distance (20-30m sometimes) for the same iron -i'm attributing it to poor off centre hits (and more of my own swing inconsistencies) as the current clubs aren't as forgiving as my previous super game improvement irons, but still, was wondering if there is any truth to this breaking-in of clubs. Any comments? Smile
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Need a pro fitter's input will be more credible.
Back to top Go down
cglim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cglim

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:53 pm

For me, I think it's the other way around. With a new  club, it's me who needs to get familiar and comfortable on how to use it. I believe the performance of the equipment is solely based on how it's used. To minimize the transition to new equipment, probably a fitters advice is recommended.
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I asked my golf fitter who is building my new set now. He said no such thing.

Last edited by babolat on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:04 pm

One fitter at Far East shopping centre also told me that my driver Tour AD shaft after more usage will become more consistent.  scratch
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 am

Maybe like all new things "breaking in" or "seasoning" means getting used to its new characteristic of the equip. 
Once u get the hang of it, then u will be able to capitalize on its performance.
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 am

Yeah, I guess its us that need the 'breaking-in' rather than the clubs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 am

Not sure you talking about iron or graphite shaft but club fitter told me before the driver shaft will break in after 50 to 100 hits. Maybe more for graphite shaft and yourself to get more comfortable with your new clubs.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 am

Normally when u change to new equipment. U will need time to adjust prob due to change of overall weight of club, swing weight, diff loft or angle/lie.
If you still can't hit after a few rounds, see a fitter to analyze what is need to improve your hit.
Recommended fitters are those who has equipment to determine your impact of each hit.
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 am

I had the idea that pros usually get customized clubs made for them 1 or 2 days before a tournament
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

A Pro Fitter mentioned here once that ONLY graphite shaft needs to "breaking in" something like the car tyres/engine ...
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:32 am

Heard of graphite shaft being "breaking in" before also..
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:51 am

Can anybody give a reason?

Like for Internal combustion automobile engines, when we say break in, the reason is very clear. The chamber block and pistons have burrs/residual/shavings from fresh machining and the initial interactions between the tight tolerances will definitely create more "waste metal" that needs to be flushed out (also why we used to recommend mineral oils for 1st thousand km). So the conventional breaking in calls for the driver to moderately rev the engine for a certain mileage, flush out these impurities, to avoid having them damage the metal moving parts of an engine.

So what is the reason a graphite shaft needs breaking in? 

To me, breaking in should not be confused with the user trying to get used to the new shaft.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 pm

Actually when I used brand new driver, I felt that the shaft was boardy. However, after a couple of rounds plus hitting a couple of hundreds of balls at the range, the boardy feeling turned to more towards whippy feel. This is my personal feel ... In Mechanical Engineering context, I believe the shaft has gone beyond certain Elastic Modulus ... Elastic Modulus is a mathematical description of a material's tendency to deform elastically (i.e. in a temporary fashion) when a force is applied on it.

Swing

Last edited by Turbo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling and grammar corrections)
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Agreed! For shafts, need to season a bit. Imo
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Well said bro Turbo, totally agreed with you.
Likewise, I can feel my driver shaft really breaking in after 10 rounds.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 am

Did u realised tat when u re hittg those demo shafts, the feel & feedback re pretty nice correct? And u re able to differentiate which shaft heavier, flexy, firmer, etc.. Basketball
But when you hit your new set w the same shaft tested on very first basket of balls, u re realising some different and it gets better only after many golf balls clocked right! Shocked
So...go figure out why? Wink
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 12:45 pm

the pro has spoken.... Arrow Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?   Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breaking-in or 'seasoning' your new clubs?
Page 1 of 1