Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Breaking in of new shaft

Go down 
+7
alucard
darenlim
Tituman
hillgreen
sandkie
4dtoto
bogey_free
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bogey_free
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogey_free

Breaking in of new shaft Empty
PostSubject: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:21 am

Hi All,

I have heard that there is a break in period for new shafts.
How long does it take to break in a brand new shaft and how does the shaft feel after the break in period?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 am

Hahahaha... you mean running in of the shaft like running in a brand new car engine ??

Bring it down to the den or to the Starry Starry nite, let pple try it out and within one day, the shaft will be broken...oops i mean run in...
Back to top Go down
bogey_free
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogey_free

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Hahaha ....
Maybe someone was pulling a fast one on me ......
I have not heard of running in a shaft either.....
Thot i just bounced the idea off the gurus here......
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 pm

maybe "break in" is the right term, I am not too sure but so far think in this forum we have been using " Running In ".... well await for some kind soul to advise..
Back to top Go down
bogey_free
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogey_free

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:51 pm

not really concerned about the terms.....
i was in the states for sometime and maybe i still have some lingering effects from that ... Razz
anyway, i was just wondering if there is such a thing as running in/breaking in a new shaft....
i heard of some rumblings about the matter in the past but didn't really think about it until recently when i reshafted my driver.
maybe dgman can pop in and enlighten us.....
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 pm

In a car, there are a lot of frictions between parts which is the main reason for run-in. I think in a golf club there are no such case.

The run in could mean the few hours period you can't swing your club after it is just fitted.
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Had heard from club fitters that running-in of clubs is required after you get fitted with new shaft ... not sure if u buy brand new set it is still required (nowadays even more new cars do not really need to run in Smile )

I guess it could probably due having the flex to behave at an steady state (more likely slightly more flex than when original fitted). There could be a more scentific way to explain this

Same to sound systems, initially when I heard that speakers needed to run-in it really Question puzzles me but only those with better ears can notice the differences. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm

taskie wrote:
In a car, there are a lot of frictions between parts which is the main reason for run-in. I think in a golf club there are no such case.

The run in could mean the few hours period you can't swing your club after it is just fitted.

" I think in a golf club there are no such case " Guess you still have lots of 'run in to go' as regards to golf bro. THERE is a running in period for a new shaft. TAKE MY WORDS FOR IT. If you have hit between 300 to 500 balls with your driver, you can sort of consider it 'run in'. However a faster way is to let the volunteers at BFG to have a go with it. Those are BIG hitters and I don't think they required so many balls to have a shaft 'run in'. JMHO. lol!

titu
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 4:44 pm

You do not need to run in shafts as there is no such thing.
Ive verifed this with Titleist and they custom made my clubs.
Hope this is helpful to you.

Ps. If you can hit it, you can hit it. If you cant, its the swing Smile
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Correct me if i am wrong, "seasoning" a shaft is like buying a brand new cane, when you bend it, you will ususlly see some powdery stuff and it feel stiffer and will not whip smoothly. But after bending it a lot of time, it can easily bend and the whip will be smoother too.. Hope it explain what "running in" is..
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Another thing to add, if you are not a sensitive and consistence hitter, it make no difference as the ball still going left , right up , down...Just Like me.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 5:05 pm

darenlim wrote:

Hi Darren, for some one like you, I don't think you need running in do you?? Give you any driver I am sure you will still be able to hit it. But to normal people like us, the running in is more towards 'softening' the flex after a few hundred balls, though I am not sure whether the term used is correct or not. Well, when I have my shaft fixed professionally, my fitter will informed me that after it gets run in afer a period of time, you will experience a better feel for the new shaft.

titu
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

I think after we hit 300-500 balls, our body should have become accustomed to the new shaft. So, maybe the one that got 'run in' is our body?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 pm

taskie wrote:
I think after we hit 300-500 balls, our body should have become accustomed to the new shaft. So, maybe the one that got 'run in' is our body?

Bro, no point telling each other what is correct what is wrong. Go to a professional Fitter like Eric at BFG and ask him the meaning of running in a shaft. Thank you.

Titu
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm

if after you changed shaft of your driver and 'run in' 300-500 balls with it, and still cant hit it well, better just pass the driver to me... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 7:54 pm

alucard wrote:
if after you changed shaft of your driver and 'run in' 300-500 balls with it, and still cant hit it well, better just pass the driver to me... Laughing

kekekkek ROFL ROFL ROFL Beer bro

titu
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 pm

darenlim wrote:

You are correct,, china made shaft no need to run in mah!!! he he,,,
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Just to share some personal experience,

I feel very little difference in so called running-in iron steel shaft - perhaps I am not consistent and sensitive in it..

But for driver shaft, man, I could feel it becomes more "flexy" as time goes by.

Perhaps it is the individual's threshold of feel and the swing style....

Will be interesting if this is back up with some scentific or more technical explanation...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 5:40 pm

There is a BIG difference for a brand new shaft and a run in shaft. I do not understand the why and technical gritty details of it.

The best I can explain is that the material needs time to stretch and get into the groove of the swing? See! I am not really good at this. I was once told that PREMIUM driver shaft do not need spine-ning. It is either already spined with logo or the shaft will spine itself after running in.

BUT personally, I can feel the big difference between a brand new shaft and a seasoned shaft. Seasoned shafts are more responsive, provides more feedback and have more whip in it. At this point of time, I would like to state that I am a snob and have only used after-market shafts for the last 2 years plus.

Or perhaps it is a mental thing and instead of the shaft running in, could it be your body actually got used to the flex and weight of the club after some time? Either way, I just play better and get better consistency with seasoned equipment.

If only I can stick to my seasoned equipment longer. Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:23 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

If only I can stick to my seasoned equipment longer. Smile

thats easy wat....."MC, No Stock"
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Breaking in the shaft like this?
Breaking in of new shaft Img_1610
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:17 pm

hahaah thats a good one, literally breaking it in Smile ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking in of new shaft   Breaking in of new shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breaking in of new shaft
Page 1 of 1