Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pain at the base of left thumb?

Go down 
+10
junyao.anna
Tiramisu
goh.YF.52
enwee
skybobo
Derek
Nam Flog
jhan18
neutralgolfer
Gymrat76
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Pain at the base of left thumb? Empty
PostSubject: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 am

Hi all

Just started golfing a few weeks back (just had my 4th lesson) and we practice on our own at the range 1-2 a week.

This past week I've been feeling a pain at the base of my left thumb (under the meaty part of the hand), especially sore a few  hours after going to the range and the next morning. Haven't had the chance to ask the coach yet, but could it be my grip is not correct, or its just the impact of the club grip on my hand (being a beginner I do get my fair share of ground strikes  Very Happy )

Using TM Burner 2.0 irons (steel) if that helps. We typically play around 150-200 balls per session
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am

Guess you are gripping by the thumb and probably too tight. Too much abrasion at the area.
Try grip lighter like 5-6/10, grip also more by the fingers.
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:03 am

neutralgolfer wrote:
Guess you are gripping by the thumb and probably too tight. Too much abrasion at the area.
Try grip lighter like 5-6/10, grip also more by the fingers.

Hi, its not really a surface pain but more like pain at the joint underneath. But yes, have been trying to relax my grip last night at the range but still quite painful last night and a little even now.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am

Hi!

It sounds like you have a 'long' thumb with your left hand grip. Do check the following:

1. You can at least see the right half of your glove logo at set-up
2. Your thumb sits next to your left index finger. 
3. Grip pressure is correct( 6-7 on a scale of 1-10)

If you hold the club correctly in your left hand, you'd find that you'd be able to flex the wrist up/down/left/right with the club in hand and support the club without any hinderance or pain at the top of your swing.

I hope this helps! If not please ask your PGA Professional or seek help with a golf experienced Physio if the pain persists.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am

Gymrat76 wrote:
Hi all

Just started golfing a few weeks back (just had my 4th lesson) and we practice on our own at the range 1-2 a week.

This past week I've been feeling a pain at the base of my left thumb (under the meaty part of the hand), especially sore a few  hours after going to the range and the next morning. Haven't had the chance to ask the coach yet, but could it be my grip is not correct, or its just the impact of the club grip on my hand (being a beginner I do get my fair share of ground strikes  Very Happy )

Using TM Burner 2.0 irons (steel) if that helps. We typically play around 150-200 balls per session
Hi gymrat,

Alot of other golfers here have mentioned, practice makes permanant. Being so early in your learning phase, it is a risky business. Unless you have strict discipline and only practice what your coach has taught you thus far. My experience in the beginning was that I practiced all the wrong things because I saw the ball launching and distance going further, but in actual fact I was cocking my wrists too early and ended "chopping" the ball instead. Took quite some time to "unchop" my swing again. Also grip super tight and had blisters all over my palms. Again managed to stop doing that only after the 2nd round of lessons.

I don't have the answer to your question. Your pro should address that.

And also in my opinion 200 balls is alot alot of practice. I usually hit 50balls and already takes me one hour to do that.

Just sharing and hope you enjoy this game!
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will definitely check my grip again with my coach this weekend and may give the hand a rest until my lesson. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 2:52 pm

maybe this might be useful ... i recently realised that i am guilty of Fault 5 in the video

http://video.about.com/golf/5-Common-Problems-Golfers-Have-with-the-Grip.htm
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks! I think my grip is a bit on the palm rather than against the last 2 fingers.. then again, if I grip fully with fingers the club doesn't rest flat against the ground.. maybe my clubs are too long?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Be careful bro. Grip along fingers. Grip lightly. The pain you are experiencing is the early symptoms of trigger thumb. If not rectify soon, your tendon sheath will swell. 

Ease off golf for a while and learn proper grip
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm

kum sia.. i will check with coach this weekend and ask him to correct my grip.. my wrist was hurting a bit also Sad
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Gymrat76 wrote:
kum sia.. i will check with coach this weekend and ask him to correct my grip.. my wrist was hurting a bit also Sad
Wrist is most probably u hitting too much into mat.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm

You are on your way to making a "thick" palm and fingers for golf. How about someone make a thread for the hands with most callus. My left thumb is practically "disfigured" till the fingerprint cant use already, cause i have a bad habit of plucking my callus Sad

P.S I DONT WEAR GLOVES
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Dont peel, goh.YF 52 will bleed n make it more painful.it will grow thicker also. You can buy those filer from those sasaor watson shop like about $2 or more. Soak yr hand in warm salt water, then use hand scrub to hive yr hand a scrub of the dead skin. Towel dry yr hand use the filer slowly sand off the callus n it helps, after can appy hand cream, u will feel the different n not painful.
Back to top Go down
junyao.anna
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Sometimes my palm hurts is it technique
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Today the pain is more on the palm area below the little finger on the left hand (the meaty part above the wrist). Dunno if I injured something, but I'm quite sure its my grip
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 pm

I believe U have put too much pressure on the left thumb.  Ask your teaching pro to correct the grip .
N the way you describe, TTSH got a sports medicine department.  Those ppl can actually help.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 am

Tiramisu wrote:
Dont peel, goh.YF 52 will bleed n make it more painful.it will grow thicker also. You can buy those filer from those sasaor watson shop like about $2 or more. Soak yr hand in warm salt water, then use hand scrub to hive yr hand a scrub of the dead skin. Towel dry yr hand use the filer slowly sand off the callus n it helps, after can appy hand cream, u will feel the different n not painful.
used to it already, i tried my best not to peel but then..., callus makes it thicker so that the next time it would hurt so much.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 am

Gymrat76 wrote:
Today the pain is more on the palm area below the little finger on the left hand (the meaty part above the wrist). Dunno if I injured something, but I'm quite sure its my grip
Are you overlapping or interlocking grip?
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 am

Interlocking
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am

I think you are griping to tight... also check the grips as well too see if they of the right size for your hands. Grip pressure should be light.. 

Suggest that you lay off golf for a while.. no point keep playing if it hurts every-time. U shoul dbe enjoying it, not suffering from it.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Most beginners get pain if they start out interlocking, stress fractures are caused by holding too tight.

Make sure your left thumb is pointing slightly down the right side of the grip, and your right thumb is slightly down the left side. If you have your left thumb pointing straight down the grip you are supporting the clubs full weight on your thumb at the top of the backswing.

Try overlapping grip till you get more proficient.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will try that and all other suggestions at the range tonight (particularly about not gripping too tight)
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 pm

I used to have this problem too... I did not need to see a doc, just need to check your grip and after I did that I am ok... Could also be due to too much golf... All d best bro & get well soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pain at the base of left thumb?   Pain at the base of left thumb? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pain at the base of left thumb?
Page 1 of 1