Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

pain on lower back

Go down 
+20
Yeoyc
Lee36328
Khorkar
ltajedi
dodo
vyvy
alvin7379
shorthitter
kopiO
scotty2010
benhogan
Birdman
Duval_S
Gimson
JawereZ
jaketang
Tituman
nrafee
nientsu
golfer
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfer
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 pm

is it comon to injure lower back (just above hip) from playing golf?
the pain is 2 inch near the spinal cord and like waves of sharp pain.

just want to make sure its not my kidneys or anything serious...
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Bro

U better rest, and then go see a doctor, chiro or a physio. Back probs are common but it shouldnt be attributed to golf alone. My chiro actually said that many people got to him due to back probs caused by simply sitting for too long in the office.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 pm

it is common.. i have a bottle Ammeltz Yoko Yoko with me all the time....
to be safe, better go see a doctor if it doesn't go away after a week or 2...
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 pm

nientsu wrote:
Bro

U better rest, and then go see a doctor, chiro or a physio. Back probs are common but it shouldnt be attributed to golf alone. My chiro actually said that many people got to him due to back probs caused by simply sitting for too long in the office.

And sitting or should I said lounging in an unceremonious position for a period of time frequently can also caused tremendous pain in the same spot just above the hip bones for weeks. That I learnt and experienced the hard way. Now, start to sit up properly like chest out stomach in and back straight should get rid of your pain in a week. At least that work for me. Maybe I am just too old...sigh...... Crying or Very sad

titu
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:46 pm

mine is upper back....

not pain but morel ike muscle are crampped together.... slight pain though...
Sad
Back to top Go down
JawereZ
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JawereZ

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:34 am

One word - REST !
that is what I did previously to ease my pain, stop golf for a week or two...
My physio says when the muscle is tight that is the reason why it is in pain.
You can do a light stretching execise to slowly loosen uo the muscle.

take care ok, hope you get well soon !

cheers
Back to top Go down
Gimson
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Gimson

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:53 am

usually sports injury are due to the core muscles are not strong enough, that's what my physio told me when i got tendinitis. Take a break from sports 1st, ice n rest the swell or ache. After which go hit the gym and build up stronger core by doing ard 50% of how much u can lift for 1 rep, and try to do more reps like 12 reps per set to build up tt area.
Hope this help. Get well soon
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 10:52 am

Just sharing...for me, almost 99 out of 100 times, I will suffer fm lower back pain after game....primarilly on the left-er side of my hip.........Did the SOP of tui-na, cold pack, hot pack....but what what works best for me to lessen the pain are 2 ways:

1. A lot of stretching before game....and lagi alot of stretching once reach home....

2. this is tougher to do....which is to minimize the shots taken during my game.....typically if I take only <88 swings (including putting)...my back quite ok..still need stretching though.

.....Just me'D'
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 10:58 am

10th of april we all help you stretch at RJCC ok?

There'll be two horses on standby.

ROFL
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:15 am

http://www.losethebackpain.com/inversion3.html

helps me, 5 mins a day..
Back to top Go down
scotty2010
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Just attended a bones seminar last week by ChannelNewsAsia. One of the docs mentioned golf injuries is one of the top complaints at his clinic. One interesting recommendation - get golf lessons! Says its better to pay for the lessons than pay for medical treatments!
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 am

should first assess what damage has been done. No pain does not mean no prob. Muscles normally works in pair. Yes, go TCM or physio for the professional assessment.

should find the cause too... it could be one-off strain, bad swing, over-use or bone-degeneration...

then you go rest and recover. for me, a good massage or even bone-setting will accelerate the recovery.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:27 am

Sorry guys I disagree, if you swing properly you will not have back problems, I am OLD and have hit many more balls than most of you, but good setup and technique will not cause problems..

If you already have back issues of course that is different, but golf should not CAUSE pain....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

shorthitter wrote:
Sorry guys I disagree, if you swing properly you will not have back problems, I am OLD and have hit many more balls than most of you, but good setup and technique will not cause problems..

If you already have back issues of course that is different, but golf should not CAUSE pain....

Eh... I beg to differ... golf always cause pain in my heart... head... and sometimes... wallet...
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 am

alvin7379 wrote:
Eh... I beg to differ... golf always cause pain in my heart... head... and sometimes... wallet...

Yes good point...I was going to say that..... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
vyvy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
vyvy

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 pm

haha..
i just read something from a magazine.
they were mentioning that the lower back is not supposed to handle the twisting. but it shld be your mid back (aka thoracic spine) which sld be handing the twisting.
If you have persistent aches at your lower back, i may want to go to a pro and correct your swing. =)
Most importantly now is to rest well and dun strain your lower back.
Back to top Go down
dodo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dodo

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 pm

"waves of sharp pain"

Bro golfer
the family GP can quickly diagnose if it's kidneys or not by checking for blood in urine. For peace of mind man, better don't delay.

2 person in my office whose job require sitting many hours have regular sharp pains that move from butt to lower calf or feet area - nerves are impinged by constant sitting. But pain is manageable by standing up, stretch for 15 minutes.

The golf-related lower back pain in my case was present all the time Lumbar 4-Lumbar 5 area, but not sharp spasms type, more like chronic and goes away when I lie flat on my stomach. The orthopaedic at SGH saw my x-ray with crooked spine and sent letter to reservist camp MO to arrange medical review for quick downgrade to PES C9 and no more golf or running. The chiro saw same x-ray and gave some bone twisting and cracking for a month, asked that I change my swing to avoid twisting lower back and slow down, and now less pain. Still playing after 7 years from last chiro visit, but make sure stretch daily and before after game per chiro order. I will listen to anyone as long as can still play golf and less pain.
Back to top Go down
ltajedi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

I have the same problem too but it's not entirely from golf. Mine stems from a very tight hamstring/thigh muscles. And as such, the tension there leads to stress and tightness in the lower back. Couple this with weak core muscles and as such, lead to lower back pain and aches.

So yes, acxtive stretching, strenthening and massage do help.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 am

shorthitter wrote:

Hi AK,

From yr observations, will over-swinging a frequent cause of lower back pain?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 9:49 am

Ah, another one of those unfortunately too common "it hurts my back/ankle/knee/wrist/shoulder when I golf, is it normal, what do I do?" threads.....

There's a famous brand of sports bandage/ointment/bracelet from Japan called Phiten. I used to be a big customer, because I found their products work.

I would apply the cream on my left ankle and my wrists. I would also run a bandage on my left shoulder blade, down my lower back and entire leg. So, at the first tee of every round, I felt like a well-dressed, well-ointmented mummy. I remember one time during a round, to tackle the pain that was acting up, I stopped at the rest room and applied even more bandage. It was pathetic.

And after one round of golf, I had to take one day off to recover from the pain.

So, I know how it feels, I've been there.

It all changed when I commented to some friends after a round about my pains and showed them all my Phiten stuff, when someone said.... "That's odd, it shouldn't hurt...."

That flipped a lightswitch in my head. I took out the camcorder and videoed the next range session and true enough, I saw plenty of flaws that could have caused the pain. So I resolved to stop playing and hit the range until the mechanics are in better shape. And today, thanks to the kind statement from the stranger above, I can golf without pain.

Now, without beating around the bush, and with all due respect to the veterans who have been golfing in pain for a long time, here goes...

If you're a regular golfer, reasonably well-conditioned, and you warm up before and cool down after, then....

WITH PROPER MECHANICS, GOLF IS PAIN-FREE!

Or in other words.... if golf hurts, look at the swing mechanics, chances are it hurts because the mechanics are incorrect. No offence intended, just trying to help those who suffer from pain from golf.

golfer wrote:
is it comon to injure lower back (just above hip) from playing golf?
the pain is 2 inch near the spinal cord and like waves of sharp pain.

just want to make sure its not my kidneys or anything serious...

Common? Unfortunately yes. Normal and to be expected? Definitely not.

scotty2010 wrote:
Just attended a bones seminar last week by ChannelNewsAsia. One of the docs mentioned golf injuries is one of the top complaints at his clinic. One interesting recommendation - get golf lessons! Says its better to pay for the lessons than pay for medical treatments!

Don't take it from me, take it from the doctor above. A big THANK YOU scotty2010.

shorthitter wrote:

Another big big THANK YOU to coach shorthitter.

Take it from the coach as well as the doctor.

Each joint, each body part, has a range of motion, and can tolerate a certain amount of force (mostly torque because a swing is mostly a rotation). When moving within these limits, there should be no pain.

When it hurts, it's our body telling us the limits are breached for that particular joint/body part.

Today, after correcting the mechanics, I can play 2 rounds of golf, same day back to back, with a couple hundred balls at the range after that. And no pain the next day. Not saying I am any good, just saying I am pain free after correcting the mechanics.

And Phiten? The ointments and bandages are somewhere in the storeroom gathering dust. I even took off the ubiquitous golfer wrist bracelet. Because I want the pain as feedback that my swing is off, so that I can fix the swing immediately.

As is often the case in a swing, the solution typically lies in fixing the mechanics elsewhere in the body, not on that hurting part. A good coach will know what I'm talking about.

So, to fix the pain, see a masseuse/sinseh/physio therapist.

To prevent the pain from ever happening again, see a good coach and fix the swing.

Wow, turned out to be a long post. Just wanted to help fellow golf-pain sufferers as someone has helped me.

Peace, and enjoy pain-free golf.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 am

You can also try this as well...

Saw this seems to be used frequently for professional sports.

http://www.kttape.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
Yeoyc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 pm

I've also been having back pain from golf. I'm thinking maybe my swing causing the problem. I never had this pain before I picked up golf and seems to occur after range sessions. Think I need to look for a coach soon as I am self taught and maybe not doing things correctly
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Just get use to it and take care.
Back to top Go down
Ironman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Ironman

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I also frequently suffer from back pain, muscle tear under right arm pit and muscle tear on my left shoulder. I trained with the proper swing (maybe it is just my imagination!) under a coach but I still suffer from it.

I just completed my PC and trains once a week in Bishan. I trained with 500 balls every time I hit the range. Now I reduce to 400 and it is getting better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smarterliving.asia
Yeoyc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:52 pm

I went to seen a coach yesterday and it was my swing that was causing my back issue. Hope after some changes to swing it will rectify the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pain on lower back Empty
PostSubject: Re: pain on lower back   pain on lower back I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pain on lower back
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next