Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What goes in your head

Go down 
+2
monsterlonester
TDO
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

What goes in your head Empty
PostSubject: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Everyone of us has gone through this. Let's say for example you hit a 2nd shot to the green on a Par 5 and the ball landed just 20m short of the green. With the flag in front of the green, looks like an easy chip-in for a potential eagle or at worst a birdie. As you take your shot, you mishit and duffed the shot and the ball barely moved 3m. Now you are still 17m away from the pin. At worst you hope for a Par since your eagle just flew away. With such a lousy short game you cannot be hoping for a chip-in birdie, would you. You then proceed to prepare your chip again. This time you topped the ball and the ball careened across green and stopped at the back of the green, 60' away from the pin and downhill putt. Now that's not a very desirable position to be in especially after than potential eagle or birdie score, it has now turned into a potential bogey if you 2 putted. You proceed to putt after looking from the front, back and side of the pin. Feeling confident, you putted but there is a hesitancy in the stroke because of the downhill putt and the ball rolled and come to a brief 5' away from the pin. Now you are faced with another downhill straight putt. You have to make the putt for bogey. After carefully studying the green, you proceed to putt. You putted and the ball roll straight towards the hole, Just then, about 6" before the hole the ball breaks to the right and you missed your bogey putt and ended up with a double-bogey.  Mad 

The above illustration is true though my personal experiences. From potential eagle to birdie to par to bogey and finally double-bogey. Let me share what went through my head after that score. Expletives, self-abuses, self-demeaning curses that cannot be uttered publicly. I would utter "what a moron to miss that opportunity, or Sxxx, or Fxxx, loud enough on the green. But my brain did experience the mental abuse I throw at myself. And mind you, this is still happening.  I probably will be sore for one hole and move on. Saying to move on in the next hole is easy and I am still trying to do that.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I think this is where you have missed the point. To stay in the present, you just have to concentrate, keep calm and play your shot as best as you can.
Thinking of a potential eagle or birdie will most likely screw your mind even before you execute the shot.
In layman terms, don't count the chickens before they hatch
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Bro monsterlonester,
My main point is what's in your head after missing that opportunity. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 5:12 pm

I never had a chance of eagle chip or putt, but i had a few missed birdies putt (from within 1m) throughout 2013. Some end up bogey, 1 or 2 end up par.

And yes, the F*** and S*** and all the equivalent hokkien version of them will be out of my mouth immediately.

My game is almost immediately go haywire for the next 1 (if not) 2 holes
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 11:47 pm

I guess being honest about ones mental thoughts is not easy, especially after missed opportunities. And I am referring to what goes on in the head, not what to do and what not to do. All that has been considered. In all my 18 years of golfing, I am satisfied that I have achieved 5 eagles and a HIO (Last year at Poresia). This chance is diminishing as a person ages. And that's probably one of the reasons for the mental abuse and self-ridicule.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Noriki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Noriki

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 11:58 pm

For me I will try to put/chip near the pin without thinking.
So that means, play first and think about the score later.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 3:06 am

TDO wrote:
Bro monsterlonester,

Most ppl including myself will be cursing and swearing and yes it will prob affect u for the next 1 or 2 holes.  I have witnessed many many of my kakis doing this before.

So far, I have only see 1 golfer........regardless whether par, bogey, birdie etc.....smile after every hole.
He is so calm and takes things so easily
I wish I can have this kind of temprement
Back to top Go down
xthor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 8:11 am

skybobo wrote:
TDO wrote:
Bro monsterlonester,

Most ppl including myself will be cursing and swearing and yes it will prob affect u for the next 1 or 2 holes.  I have witnessed many many of my kakis doing this before.

So far, I have only see 1 golfer........regardless whether par, bogey, birdie etc.....smile after every hole.
He is so calm and takes things so easily
I wish I can have this kind of temprement

You have no idea what is going on in his head.. he may be smiling and cursing the world... now that's scary... Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 8:22 am

You have no idea what is going on in his head.. he may be smiling and cursing the world... now that's scary... What goes in your head Icon_smile

That's the part I am trying to get to. I guess it's difficult to say it out openly without annoying your flight mates. In my case, most of the time it's due to own mistakes that I self-reprimand mentally or sometime grumble here and there and remind myself not to repeat the same mistakes again. Unfortunately, the mistakes do come back again. Haiz...  Sad   Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What goes in your head   What goes in your head I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What goes in your head
Page 1 of 1