Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?

Go down 
+4
Turbo
enwee
Cyp_PGA
rapidmax
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? Empty
PostSubject: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 5:13 pm

I was just wondering whether too heavy club for the golfer will result in him finishing the stroke in "chicken wing" instead of the recommended straight arm. Btw what's the downside of ending in chicken wing? Distance/accuracy?

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 5:29 pm

the "Chicken Wings" is most likely be a pull . but I'm not a club fitter or coach so i can't tell if the club weight will create chicken wing . However  unfit golf club will make your bad habit worse . so visit club fitter to make sure your swing isn't  trying  to suit the golf club rather than the golf club should suit you ...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm

I only know when the club is too heavy for u, u will not be able to hold your finishing pose. Does it create chicken wing, doubt so because many beginners had this problem and they are using very light clubs. Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 pm

In my opinion, people with "chicken wing' swing is primarily because the sequence of their downswing is incorrect ...
Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 pm

But does chicken wing result in any problem?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 pm

rapidmax wrote:
But does chicken wing result in any problem?
You will likely get weak slice shot ...

However, there're some Tour Pros who exaggerate the chicken wing swing to create a very extreme fade shot ... One could commonly see in Tiger Woods ... Cool
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 10:09 pm

It seems that the majority of my students who tend to 'chicken wing' it hold the club weak in their left hand. This results in a few things:
1. Poor pivot. Most tend to lift their body upwards when they swing back
2. Inability to hinge wrists. The hinging of the wrists is a contributor to power in the swing.
3. Poor left arm extension on backswing and inability for the left arm to 'fold' properly on the way though( the technical description of chicken wing.

The chicken wing does result in a loss of power but most importantly, it can cause tendinitis and ligament damage to your left forearm, elbow and rotator cuff over time.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 7:55 am

I couldn't visualize this said chicken wing at all. can eat or not?  ok bad joke.  but got picture help me see what you mean?
Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:54 am

If you just go to Google and type 'chicken wing golf' and go to image, there are plenty there. Sorry I cannot attach images yet, no account.

Just imagine after hitting the ball, instead of your arms going straight and extended like in jhan18's avatar, both arms are retracted such that your hands are nearer your body instead of out.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 am

"Chicken wing" is more likely to be swing fault not weight of club. Like Jhan mentioned, a weak left hand and a powerful right hand which rotate too fast at impact, will likely to force your left hand to fold like chicken wing.

Try swinging with both hands and more body turn might help.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 10:46 am

Just to put things into perspective folks, Lee Westwood plays with a chicken wing at impact

not ideal, but he is reasonably successful and makes the kind of money that many of us cannot do in a lifetime.

Many ways to skin a cat!  Can't blame the clubs really. But its nearing X'mas, go get some new clubs, its been a long hard year!

Jokes aside, if the thread starter wants to get rid of it, then nothing that coaching and proper practice cannot fix.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:03 am

Here is a Chicken Wing Fix ...

Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks! Saw one from Mark Crossfield also. 

Just wanted to know whether clubs cause this before I go buy new clubs.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 am

rapidmax wrote:
Thanks! Saw one from Mark Crossfield also. 

Just wanted to know whether clubs cause this before I go buy new clubs.
No lah, bro ... It is your swing problem ... Suggest you see a PRO to fix it if you fail to fix it yourself ... Though am not a pro, I believe if your downswing sequence is correct (i.e. initiate from lower torso up), everything will fall naturally in place till finish due to centrifugal force ... But remember to make sure your arms and body is tension free to prevent any restriction ...

Last edited by Turbo on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks bro. Trying... It went then now back Sad
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 1:55 pm

rapidmax wrote:
Thanks bro. Trying... It went then now back Sad
Thats why it is of utmost importance for one to ingrain the right fundamentals from start, if not it is hard to eliminate the bad habits once it sets deep inside your muscle memory. As the saying goes, old habit dies hard ... Now you need some effective drills to eliminate the bad habit ... Maybe consult a qualified Pro is the best thing to do if you do not want to learn the hard way ...

Last edited by Turbo on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo error correction)
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Earlier I mentioned some of the tour pros especially Tiger Woods would intentionally exaggerate a chicken wing on his left arm in order to keep his clubface open thru the shot to achieve an extreme slice shot ... Here is what I mean ... Observe his intentional left arm "chicken wing" ...

Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 12:36 am

Thank you for this. Amazing that he could get it on the green. It's an intentional chicken wing with a purpose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?   Does club weight result in "chicken wing"? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does club weight result in "chicken wing"?
Page 1 of 1