Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should i get a G or 48 degree?

Go down 
+22
Kookk
golfchowmk
pocketace
rt
robin1_sg
slinger
asahi
Ssquirrel
nutty88
abadan
zhenxua
Birdman
scottycollector
Turbo
Technospaz
guangzhao
S70B
Khorkar
EastCoastHack
pushslice
mrkatsucurry
s-killer
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 am

Turbo wrote:
s-killer wrote:
Met up with bro mrkatsucurry today at range. Tried the choke-down-open stance swing with my PW, result ok but definitely need lots of practice

Then mrkatsucurry strike me with a brilliant idea. Since i am using my 53 for anythin less than 80m, why don't i change its shaft to 1 inch longer and it should fetch me extra 10-15m. I might also go with extending the shaft instead 

Very Happy

1) BTW, do you have a sand wedge? Or you are using this 53 deg for your sand bunker shot as well? What is the bounce on your 53 deg wedge?

2) Have you checked how much it would cost you to extend the shaft? (i.e. labour, material, grip, etc.)? Perhaps it is better off buying another wedge as nowadays wedge can be cheap if you know the source ...

3) If you extend your 53 deg wedge shaft, you may still need to choke down for chipping shot (less than 80m distance). In addition, the lie angle is affected ... Not sure if it will affect your end result. Qualified fitter can help you on that.

In conclusion, based on the above points, I am not sure your idea on extending the shaft of your 53 deg wedge makes practical or economic sense.

cheers
1) No, i don't have a sand wedge. My 53 is for anything below 80m as well as green-side bunkers. According to the specs, the bounce is 11

2) extending the shaft cost about $30 because i can reuse the grip

3) yes, if i extend the shaft, i will have to get use to the new "grip position" for my 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70m respectively

Yes, i am not too sure yet, that's why i have not done the extension, still considering my options
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

scottycollector wrote:
the suggestion of extending the 53wedge whilst interesting, is somewhat risky. here are some comments for your consideration.

first, u should note that by extending it 1 inch, u are essentially making it the same length as your 9 or even 8 iron. So whenever u want to take a full swing with your 53, the 'difficulty' of the shot will be like hitting a 8 or 9iron

second, with extension, the swingweight of the club will increase significantly. so now the clubhead of your 53 will feel much heavier, and u may find it hard to get used to the feel

finally, like turbo said, you will usually want to choke down on your 53 to hit pitch or chip shots. so if u extend it, you may now have to choke down all the way past the grip, to the shaft

my P and 53 degree has a difference of approx 1.25 inch. i am considering extending it by 0.75 (or 1) inch so that it become the same length as G wedge.

i understand the change in swing weight and club head weight, so i have not make this move yet ... Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:55 am

for those scoring distances.... i would prefer u get a 48 wedge....

used one shd be abt $100 or so...
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:59 am

Good to experiment and try.. But I would think Loft affects iron distance more than length..
Extending the length would probably help you pick up some clubhead speed; not sure enough to get you where you want... Have fun experimenting.. The journey is part of the joy of golf...albino
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:59 am

slinger wrote:

si fu ... my standard far far worst than you. so please help ...

if i get a 48 deg which is different brand/shaft from my existing 53, does it matter?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 pm

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

si fu ... my standard far far worst than you. so please help ...

if i get a 48 deg which is different brand/shaft from my existing 53, does it matter?

if your Pw n 53 are standard length...it shd not matter

but if u are particular abt it,

1) find out the shaft weight of your Pw n 53
2) buy the 48 with the shaft weight that u like in either the Pw or the 53

btw, whats the shaft in your Pw n 53??
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 pm

My P comes with Tour AD 65-R and it is 1 inch longer than standard shaft due to custom fitting

My 53 is bought second hand, and comes with a DG-Spinner. It is roughly 1.25 inch shorter than my P

BTW, i am really comfortable with my 53 with the DG spinner, that's why the dilemma.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 pm

s-killer wrote:
My P comes with Tour AD 65-R and it is 1 inch longer than standard shaft due to custom fitting

My 53 is bought second hand, and comes with a DG-Spinner. It is roughly 1.25 inch shorter than my P

hahahah Pw 44 with graphite shaft extended by 1 in..... y u cheat until liddat???

no wonder got such big gap....

your DG spinner is a 120gm shaft compared to your Tour AD which is abt 60gm....

most likely if u get a 48, it will be on a steel shaft (110-120gm)....

i suggest u try with the stock shaft and see if it bridge your gap, hopefully u can hit abt 90-100m....
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:01 pm

slinger wrote:
s-killer wrote:

hahahah Pw 44 with graphite shaft extended by 1 in..... y u cheat until liddat???

i suggest u try with the stock shaft and see if it bridge your gap, hopefully u can hit abt 90-100m....

not cheating lah ... my height plus my slip disc problem (cannot bend too low), that's why get a custom fitted shaft to suit my profile mah ...

so you reckon 48 don't have to be the same specs as 53? ok, let me try a stock vokey 48 and see how's the result ...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:09 pm

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:
s-killer wrote:

not cheating lah ... my height plus my slip disc problem (cannot bend too low), that's why get a custom fitted shaft to suit my profile mah ...

so you reckon 48 don't have to be the same specs as 53? ok, let me try a stock vokey 48 and see how's the result ...

bro. my honest take......

if a golfer who shoot in the 90s or 100s, a ProV or a Ultra ball will not significantly change his game....

u can hiao but must know when to hiao....

ROFL
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 pm

slinger wrote:

if a golfer who shoot in the 90s or 100s, a ProV or a Ultra ball will not significantly change his game....

ROFL

Yes boss!

but but but ... there is another saying ... lose win nevermind, pattern ai swee !!!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL

Yes boss!

but but but ... there is another saying ... lose win nevermind, pattern ai swee !!!

i like this type of player.... where to find??!!!

there is also another saying..... bo pattern nevermind, wallet tio beh song song kow jurong
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:33 pm

slinger wrote:
s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL

Yes boss!

there is also another saying..... bo pattern nevermind, wallet tio beh song song kow jurong

you don't come and buaya me ... lol ....
Back to top Go down
rt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 2:00 pm

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:
s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL

Yes boss!

bro sk, stake is just a plate of fried rice only, dun so serious leh!
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 2:11 pm

rt wrote:
s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:
s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL

Yes boss!

fried rice ah ..... ok ok .... not the Chan Fu Ji fried rice hor?
Back to top Go down
rt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 pm

s-killer wrote:
rt wrote:
s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:
s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL

Yes boss!

fried rice ah ..... ok ok .... not the Chan Fu Ji fried rice hor?

the fried rice at Kranji kopitiam will do!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:46 pm

Guys I thought this sat is Changi? Don't go wrong course ah...
Back to top Go down
rt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 pm

oops! tks bro pocketace for the reminder. 
bro sk, we shall have fried rice at the cafe ba.
Back to top Go down
golfchowmk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfchowmk

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 pm

s-killer wrote:
slinger wrote:

ROFL

Yes boss!

kalah tak abah style mesti ada.Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 pm

You see la, these buggers OT again...
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Khorkar wrote:

Ueducated buggers!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 am

Kookk wrote:
Khorkar wrote:

Ueducated buggers!

SK will start a debate with you!
Back to top Go down
ranctor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ranctor

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 10:38 am

pop corn chicken????
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

You all want to OT OT also nevermind ...

but at least give me your opinion whether i should get a G or 48 mah ....
Back to top Go down
rt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 12:58 pm

i no need to give cos we exchanged wedges liao!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should i get a G or 48 degree?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next