Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should i get a G or 48 degree?

Go down 
+22
Kookk
golfchowmk
pocketace
rt
robin1_sg
slinger
asahi
Ssquirrel
nutty88
abadan
zhenxua
Birdman
scottycollector
Turbo
Technospaz
guangzhao
S70B
Khorkar
EastCoastHack
pushslice
mrkatsucurry
s-killer
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

Should i get a G or 48 degree? Empty
PostSubject: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi all,

My current set of iron is customized till P which is 44 degree in graphite shaft.

I am currently using a second hand wedge in 53 degree with DG spinner and i love it a lot.

Qns. Should i get myself a G with graphite shaft, or a 48/49 degree with DG Spinner shaft?

Thanks in advance !
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Probably need to ask yourself what you need that extra wedge for. 

And if another club can replicate that result. 

And if you're comfortable with that set up. 

For me the result is important. It often results in a new addition to the bat cave.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:21 pm

My P can reach 110m

My 53 can reach 80m

I need something for 90-100m
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Got the same issue. 

Pw or 44* goes 110m on a full swing. 

For 100 it's a ¾pitch shot, 

For 90m it's a half swing pitch shot, or full 52*. 

Between the 2, I prefer the half swing with a 44*
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 am

48 deg gap wedge is your remedy but is harder to find. Maybe a scotty or a cleveland. A GW has 52 deg wedge, that doesnt solve your gapping problem. Unless  you meant G from the same set as your irons.

PW these days are very strong lofted ya
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 am

Similar situation my graphite-shafted P is 44 degrees, and I use 48/53(bent 52)/58 wedges. Cleveland 588 Forged. The 48 I had to order special from the 'states.

There is a Vokey 48 (choice of 6 or 10 degree bounce) and a Callaway 48 (10 degree bounce) available but hard to find. The Cleveland is 8 degree bounce and comes in both 2012 Forged and the newer RTX model. Did you look at the wedge rack at Isetan?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 am

I thought 48 is PW or am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:48 am

A good fitter will ask you how u will play ur gap wedge, be it 48-52 deg.

If you are the type who hit full shots with your shorter clubs till LW, you might be more comfy getting the gap wedge that is similar to your full set.

However, if you like to play 3/4 shots or other short chips or pitches with the club, you might be better off getting a gap wedge similar to your SW or LW.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 am

Khorkar wrote:
I thought 48 is PW or am I wrong?

Some sets have stronger lofts...
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 am

S70B wrote:

If you are the type who hit full shots with your shorter clubs till LW, you might be more comfy getting the gap wedge that is similar to your full set.

However, if you like to play 3/4 shots or other short chips or pitches with the club, you might be better off getting a gap wedge similar to your SW or LW.

Hope it helps.

Rex,

Q, what's the logic behind full swing vs 3/4 for the selection of wedge?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 am

I had a similar issue. I dislike using the PW which comes with my iron set. The 9i and PW on my CB3s are 41* and 45* respectively. I preferred a separate PW so I hunted down a 46* Cleveland 588 online and that solved my problems. Next in my series of wedges are the 51* and 55* fishies which I love and I have a 58* Cleveland F-1 which I use for my sand or flop shots.

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 am

Khorkar wrote:
S70B wrote:

Hope it helps.

Rex,

Q, what's the logic behind full swing vs 3/4 for the selection of wedge?

This is my opinion.

I typically play a more controlled swing for my wedges. Rarely (if ever) will I go full swing. I tend to opt for a 3/4 or 1/2 swing to get a more controlled and accurate shot. So, I believe that this affects how we choose our wedges. The distances differ when we use a more controlled swing so we may end up with bigger gaps in distances than we think.

I should say that with my controlled shots, even at 3/4 swing, I tend to hit the ball better and still get good distance. I can seem to convince myself to do so with a wedge but not so much with an iron. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 am

Over the years, my game has evolved a little bit differently.

I used to prefer wedges that were similar to my SW and LW cos of the hiao factor plus I liked to play pitches n chips with different clubs.

Since last year, I have simplified my game and started to hit full shots with my wedges. I find that I get more consistent distances as I tend to get the ball closer when I know how far my wedge shots fly with full swings.

Also, unless the chip or pitch shot requires tremendous amt of green to run on or work with, I tend to practice my shots ard the green with either SW or LW. This is the Phil Mickelson approach and I think it helps me.

The only limiting factor I see here is $$. You can try both and see which way suits you better. There is no right or wrong in this situation.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:46 am

All the while i am using my 53 for anything that is shorter than 80m. 

Anything further than 80m, i will choose the appropriate club and do full swing, this is what i am currently doing.

But i am so comfortable with my 53 wedge (steel shaft) that i now am not sure if i should go with the same wedge with 49?  or should i go with the G club with my existing iron set in graphite shaft.

in terms of cost, the 49 deg wedge will be slightly higher, but not sure about the performance. if it gives me the same level of confident with its 53, then the extra cost will be worth it ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 am

s-killer wrote:
My P can reach 110m

My 53 can reach 80m

Choke down on your PW an inch or so to get 90-100m distance ... And you save $$$ for another wedge ...
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am

Turbo wrote:
s-killer wrote:
My P can reach 110m

My 53 can reach 80m

Choke down on your PW an inch or so to get 90-100m distance ... And you save $$$ for another wedge ...

Actually i tried doing that at the range. The result is not consistent and no confident with the shot.

i know that we can do a lot of tricks with our iron set for different circumstances. At this stage of my game (still struggling to break 100 consistently), i just want to simplify things, not to complicate things.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:21 am

i've also gone through the same process of searching for a Gap wedge. I've tried both the G as well as a 48 degree wedge. i've probably gone through at least 6 different wedges. in the end, i've decided on neither.

the reason is that using a G or 48* means u are trying to hit a full shot into the green. i've come to realise that this in fact makes it more difficult to be consistent and accurate, than say, hitting a 3/4 or 1/2 shot with a Pw.

So i agree with the view that you should just choke down on your Pw and do less than a full swing.

but u know what. the best is for you to experiment and see what works best for u
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 am

scottycollector wrote:
i've also gone through the same process of searching for a Gap wedge. I've tried both the G as well as a 48 degree wedge. i've probably gone through at least 6 different wedges. in the end, i've decided on neither.

the reason is that using a G or 48* means u are trying to hit a full shot into the green. i've come to realise that this in fact makes it more difficult to be consistent and accurate, than say, hitting a 3/4 or 1/2 shot with a Pw.

So i agree with the view that you should just choke down on your Pw and do less than a full swing.

but u know what. the best is for you to experiment and see what works best for u

I tried choking down 1 inch with my P, but for some reason it still gives me the same distance of around 110m at the range.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:02 pm

s-killer wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

I tried choking down 1 inch with my P, but for some reason it still gives me the same distance of around 110m at the range.

Choke down with a slightly open stance and clubface to promote a soft landing and pin high approach ... Cool

BTW, the end result will be slightly different when hitting on a carpet versus hitting on the real turf in the course (higher friction) ... And also you might be using a softer ball which offers more spin for approach shot ...

Last but not least, juz like any shot, you need to practice to gain confidence ...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:02 pm

s-killer wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

The reason? Didn't choke down enough. To take roughly one club distance off (for me anyway), choke halfway down the grip. The grip is long, might as well use all of it, right? Very Happy

My wedge make up is PW=46 deg, SW=54 deg, LW=60 deg.

My PW goes 105m, SW goes 85m, and LW goes 60m.

To fill in the 20m gap between each club, I just do the above and execute with the same swing as I would when gripping to the top of the rubber.

Try it and the tips Turbo mentioned and see if you get better results. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks bro Turbo and Birdman,

i will try that out at range soon, and see if it works for me
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:22 pm

his pw has the same loft as my 9-iron; must be a strong hitter
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Food for thought. If you reduce the swing speed to a 3/4 or 1/2 swing. won't it take away alot of the spin? 

Generally ppl play 4* between wedges. You could get a 48-50* wedge and bend it up/down 1-2*?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:44 pm

abadan wrote:
Food for thought. If you reduce the swing speed to a 3/4 or 1/2 swing. won't it take away alot of the spin? 

Generally ppl play 4* between wedges. You could get a 48-50* wedge and bend it up/down 1-2*?

Yes, but I don't hit my shots that well to generate a lot of spin in the first place Sad

Seriously speaking, I'm prepared to sacrifice some spin for better distance control.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 5:11 pm

abadan wrote:

IMHO, i think reducing swing speed creates more uncertainty in controlling the distance. My mind would be very confused on whether this swing speed is 3/4 or 1/2, therefore resulting in more mistakes ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should i get a G or 48 degree?   Should i get a G or 48 degree? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should i get a G or 48 degree?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next