Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

correct grip size

Go down 
+25
chiajinhon
Technospaz
akhild
moodi
yob_ha
cactuzone
babolat
angyongshen
Turbo
Nicq
nichjon
pysimy
Cnng121
enwee
marmarchen
jason.koh.54966
triston
andtsg
weesern
hkhamateur
mrkatsucurry
audi
gino
stickman
kakaxi
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kakaxi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Is it important to have a correct grip size in golf? Like tennis.
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 pm

You may want to search Mark crossfield in youtube. I think he has a video on the correct grip size.

I understand that too fat a grip will "prevent" the whole club from closing thus the balls will go right. Too thin a grip makes it easier to close the club thus the balls will go left.

However, there are some players who will think that it has only a minor effect and I can understand where it is coming from.

So it is good that you think about it yourself since you mention tennis (can a small hand by a kid use a big tennis grip and what about a big hand using a very thin grip). Do speak to your coach if you have one or intend to find one.

Cheers man........
Back to top Go down
gino
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Clubfitters have a guide on grip size. You can consult one for the right size and they can add tape as required. As stickman mentioned, it affects the direction theoretically although I believe that you have to be fault-free in all other aspects of the swing for this to come through. Doesn't hurt to have it done correctly though.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 am

of course. i like mine to be midsize cos i have big palm. standard size grip is too thin for me and it tends to slip.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:24 am

If you Google wishon and grip size, you'd find a few interesting articles on it. 

I'd paste the link here, but somehow can't.....
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

Its very important as its part of yr golf. Wink
Had my two sets regripped by a well know clubfitter lately. And the process for this job of each cost S$18 incl grip arent simple like wat most might think of. Neutral
Once u ve got the right feel, u ll b gaming confidently. Cool

Last edited by hkhamateur on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 pm

i think also depends on personal preference... some may fit a midsize according to chart but prefer to use a standard size grip
Back to top Go down
andtsg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 4:20 pm

but then most off the selves clubs come with only one size...
Back to top Go down
kakaxi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks man. the information you all provided are very useful.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Oh yeah. If you're in between the sizes, you can get the fitter to add more rounds.

Eg. Standard +1, or standard +2.
Back to top Go down
triston
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 11:00 pm

How do we tell what size the grips are when we buy off the rack clubs?

Trying to tell what size grip mine is.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm

triston wrote:
How do we tell what size the grips are when we buy off the rack clubs?

Trying to tell what size grip mine is.

Ususally off the rack clubs are fitted with standard size. Try gripping it and if possible do a few swing and see how it feel, but also depends whether u holding it with a proper grip. Can try those pro-shops, usually the sales staff there can help u. If not, u have to see a fitter but then again for some of us: it's own personal preferences.
Back to top Go down
marmarchen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Does anyone know if clubs with US specs might have slightly bigger grips then Asian specs?

I am kind of suspecting my Tayormade grips are too big, i tend to compensate by choking down slightly.. it feels more comfortable but I might be losing distance because of this.

Just read an article but based on my measurements, I belong to standard + 1 wrap.. I am confused.

http://golfgrips-direct.com/acatalog/Grip_Sizing.html
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 10:20 am

marmarchen wrote:
Does anyone know if clubs with US specs might have slightly bigger grips then Asian specs?

I am kind of suspecting my Tayormade grips are too big, i tend to compensate by choking down slightly.. it feels more comfortable but I might be losing distance because of this.

Just read an article but based on my measurements, I belong to standard + 1 wrap.. I am confused.

http://golfgrips-direct.com/acatalog/Grip_Sizing.html
Yes the US Spec is bigger.
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 am

hkhamateur wrote:
Had my two sets regripped by a well know clubfitter lately. And the process for this job of each cost S$18 incl grip arent simple like wat most might think of. Neutral

Who is this well known clubfitter may i know? I am interested. And btw, waht type of grips do they have? Thx!
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:42 am

Cnng121 wrote:
hkhamateur wrote:
Had my two sets regripped by a well known clubfitter lately. And the process for this job of each cost S$18 incl grip arent simple like wat most might think of. Neutral

Who is this well known clubfitter may i know? I am interested. And btw, waht type of grips do they have? Thx!

PM. :-)
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:45 am

hkhamateur wrote:
Cnng121 wrote:
hkhamateur wrote:
Had my two sets regripped by a well known clubfitter lately. And the process for this job of each cost S$18 incl grip arent simple like wat most might think of. Neutral

PM. :-)
Thank you very much.... !!
Back to top Go down
pysimy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm

I have small palms and the standard size grip the comes original with my clubs (US specs), are slightly big for me. Fearing that the clubs might slip out of my hands, I had the tendency to grip a bit tighter.

I changed my irons grip recently at Bob's Golf. The shop carries a wide range of Golf Pride grips. More importantly, they have a few models of undersize grips that suit my smaller palms.

After the change to undersize, I felt more comfortable with my swing. Gained about 5 metres for most clubs! I had never thought that grips were that important until the change. So the correct fit does matter!

Disclaimer: I am not related to Bob's Golf in any ways. Just a satisfied customer.
Back to top Go down
marmarchen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Bro Enwee - Thanks bro Enwee for confirming my suspicions!

Pysimy - How much does Bob's golf charge for re-gripping? I might want to try changing 1 or 2 irons to test the difference first.
Back to top Go down
pysimy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:05 am

Hi marmarchen,

The prices of new grips from Bob's Golf varies ranging from under $10 to over $20 per piece include installation, find the prices are quite reasonable. Got my Golf Pride D100 light sand-cord model at about $17. There is a 10% discount if you get 7 pieces or more. I think there is an installation charge of $4 per piece if you use your own grips.

Just to highlight that Bob's Golf uses petrol as solvent for the grip installation. I was not aware of this initially and got worried when my car smelt of petrol on my way home!

Good luck and happy golfing!
Back to top Go down
nichjon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nichjon

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 pm

I believe the grip should be comfortable and not feel too big or small, anyway, I've only just ordered my first replacement grips online and can't wait to have them re-gripped and tested, will update again once it's done.
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 am

nichjon wrote:
I believe the grip should be comfortable and not feel too big or small, anyway, I've only just ordered my first replacement grips online and can't wait to have them re-gripped and tested, will update again once it's done.
What grips are u buying? cheaper to get online or its exclusive?
Back to top Go down
nichjon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nichjon

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 am

I ordered Iomic grips, they're a bit pricey but seems to be pretty good, anyway I've only ordered 2 pcs for my driver and an iron to try it out. I also ordered a bigger grip for my putter. All from Grips 4 less.
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Cnng121

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 pm

nichjon wrote:
I ordered Iomic grips, they're a bit pricey but seems to be pretty good, anyway I've only ordered 2 pcs for my driver and an iron to try it out. I also ordered a bigger grip for my putter. All from Grips 4 less.

The grips look great! Anyone know where can these be available? I have tried Masda grips before, does this cost more than those in the local context? Online stores normally cost less i believe but after adding the workmanship, it may cost the same?
Back to top Go down
Nicq
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

sorry to bring up an old post, but do you guys have any recommendations for golf grips? reasonable priced can alr, not aiming for super expensive grips. PM me some shop recommendations? thanks. i saw bob golf being mentioned here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

correct grip size Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct grip size   correct grip size I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

correct grip size
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next