Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo

Go down 
+13
Fronzenre
chanwkit
TourSwing
asahi
DGman
Birdman
jhan18
bryanachong
poresia
billi
Turbo
Kel81
sagiteric
17 posters
AuthorMessage
sagiteric
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo Empty
PostSubject: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Kel81
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Wow... Can somebody tell me why he chose wedge over putter?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 4:39 pm

This is bcos there was a ball mark located 10 inches infront of his ball that prolly cannot be repaired to its original state, so he chose to chip to avoid the bump ... very risky but awesome skill!
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
billi

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Super putt
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Can he repair ball mark before putting ?
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:10 pm

poresia wrote:

Nope improving your own lie = +1 penalty stroke
Back to top Go down
Kel81
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 11:28 pm

That time was hit on top of tree.. now is chip in the green... what's next from Sergio? Haha
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:12 am

poresia wrote:

Ball marks can be repaired. Spike marks cannot be repaired.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 8:03 am

To make it clearer, there was a ball mark and spike marks. The first can be repaired, the second can't. That's the reason why we are taught never to drag our feet on the greens, or they cause spike marks or christmas trees, as some call it. And if we do accidentally cause spike marks, we should repair it before we leave the green for those that come after, like Sergio.

In this instance, it was a row of christmas trees. If you look at the first part of the video, you'll see a row of spike marks a few inches long right in front of his ball. And that's the same area Sergio hopped the ball over with his wedge and the ball rolled the rest of the way. If he putted, for sure the ball would have been deflected away from the hole.

So the commentator may have been mistaken when he mentioned the 'big spike mark' as being 10 inches in front. Perhaps he meant to say it was the ball mark.

FYI for those not in the know, it's not against the rules to chip on the green, but it's frowned upon, especially by the greenskeeper who has to repair the gaping hole usually left behind. It takes very precise contact and touch to execute a chip like Sergio's without taking a divot.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 9:31 am

i think the person who will most benefit from this video will be Bernhard Langer...does anyone know why?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Smart move by the man!

And great hole in!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 6:57 pm

DGman wrote:
i think the person who will most benefit from this video will be Bernhard Langer...does anyone know why?

1991 ryder cup
Back to top Go down
chanwkit
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Superb skill
Back to top Go down
Fronzenre
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 2:05 am

affraid whao!
the person who caused that is so darn irresponsible
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 9:18 am

Birdman wrote:
To make it clearer, there was a ball mark and spike marks. The first can be repaired, the second can't. That's the reason why we are taught never to drag our feet on the greens, or they cause spike marks or christmas trees, as some call it. And if we do accidentally cause spike marks, we should repair it before we leave the green for those that come after, like Sergio.

In this instance, it was a row of christmas trees. If you look at the first part of the video, you'll see a row of spike marks a few inches long right in front of his ball. And that's the same area Sergio hopped the ball over with his wedge and the ball rolled the rest of the way. If he putted, for sure the ball would have been deflected away from the hole.

So the commentator may have been mistaken when he mentioned the 'big spike mark' as being 10 inches in front. Perhaps he meant to say it was the ball mark.

FYI for those not in the know, it's not against the rules to chip on the green, but it's frowned upon, especially by the greenskeeper who has to repair the gaping hole usually left behind. It takes very precise contact and touch to execute a chip like Sergio's without taking a divot.

+10. Newbies should take note and learn as too often, I see some of them unknowingly, dragging their feet on the green causing spike marks to the detriment of the golfer who is unlucky enough to have to putt through these. It is important that all golfers must do their part to upkeep the course e.g. repairing all ball marks, tap down spike marks after they have finished the hole, rake bunkers, replace diverts, etc to make the game enjoyable/fair for those playing behind them which could very well be you!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Gofnut wrote:
Birdman wrote:

+10. Newbies should take note and learn as too often, I see some of them unknowingly, dragging their feet on the green causing spike marks to the detriment of the golfer who is unlucky enough to have to putt through these. It is important that all golfers must do their part to upkeep the course e.g. repairing all ball marks, tap down spike marks after they have finished the hole, rake bunkers, replace diverts, etc to make the game enjoyable/fair for those playing behind them which could very well be you!

+100
Unfortunate that many claim to love the game with a passion yet we can't even be bothered to look after the courses that are our playgrounds.

It's a sad reflection of selfishness and laziness that some expect other players or the groundskeepers to clean up after us. It's not like a cleaner who clears the table after we finish, done in less than a minute. Divots on the fairways and greens take a much much longer time to heal and grow over if not repaired immediately. Imagine how rapidly the course condition can go downhill if it's a high traffic course.

Who hasn't heard a fellow golfer grumble about how bad the green condtions are? And how many of said grumblers actually carry a pitch mark tool in their pocket?

FYI, we are not only supposed to repair our own ball marks on the green, but any others within our immediate vicinity within time constraint.

The same applies in the bunkers. To rake as much as is possible immediately around us without holding up play.

I remember a discussion once with a very passionate golfer who plays up to twice a week. This golfer decried the state of JB courses and how bad they are, and then went on to say that's why it's not worth raking the bunkers, or repairing divots and ball marks. Said golfer just could not grasp that not doing our part would only make the course condition degenerate much more rapidly. "The course condition oredi so bad, why bother?"

The icing on the cake is the reply "I will only rake bunkers in Singapore because the course condition is so much better."

Go figure... scratch
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Very interesting and informative read, this thread.
Have learnt much.
Would just like to say thanks to those seniors esp..Birdman, here who still contribute their time, knowledge and experience.
All golfers must not forget that the 1st 2 most important things when we started this beautiful game are (1) safety and (2) etiquette.
Your score, your longest drive, and etc....are all seconday.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Ur most welcome Beehome. Very Happy

Always glad to be of service. cheers

Anything, just ask. There are many seniors here who are more than glad to assist.

A lot times, little things like this slip through the cracks, yet are no less important to everyone's enjoyment of this game we all love.

Enjoy your Swing
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 2:00 pm

With practice and good chipping skill anyone can do it, too. Smile

And if Sergio missed the little trick chip can you imagine what the story line will be? cyclops
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 2:17 pm

TDO wrote:
With practice and good chipping skill anyone can do it, too. Smile
Agreed. Yet how many practice that much and have that good a chipping skill? Reality check here. I'll be the first to applaud if you can pull it off, but what if.....
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd rather not putt on a green with a divot in front of me, let alone spike marks. So let's not take the chance, skilled or otherwise. Very Happy

TDO wrote:
And if Sergio missed the little trick chip can you imagine what the story line will be? cyclops
And if a golf professional could possibly miss such a trick chip, what more an amateur? Very Happy

Food for thought perhaps? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smokey
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 3:41 pm

I am thinking if my trusted chipper can also do the same thing anot. hehe

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo   Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sergio Garcia's unusual par "putt" during Round 2 of Wells Fargo
Page 1 of 1