Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address

Go down 
+2
Cyp_PGA
HitSoft
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address Empty
PostSubject: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:24 am

Hi guys,

I've noticed on a video recording of my swing that I don't have that much wrist hinge at the top of my swing i.e. shoulder turn till under my chin but the shaft is just not parallel to ground at the top because of a lack of wrist hinge. I'm still getting 150m at the range with my 7 iron but I was just wondering if i'm not maximizing my distance because of this lack of wrist hinging. any thoughts anyone?

Also, do most of you guys have the shaft pointing straight down at address, or do have it leaning slightly so that it points to the left thigh? read somewhere that having it leaning to the left helps with impact position, but it feels weird to me and I'm not able to get a clean shot haha :/

any thoughts will be appreciated thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:33 am

Video will be great to see what you actually mean . but you don't need to be parrallele to the ground foe 7-iron .

Look at what Tiger Picture and he can hit it tons . Iron are for accuracy and precision compare to driver you try to get more distance with accuracy

Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address Inar0111

the picture is taken couple years ago from Golf Digest
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:43 am

Sometime we confuse terms. Do you mean wrist hinge or wrist cock? Two diff move and depends on which wrist doing which action drunken
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:44 am

haven't got the video recording with me because it's been quite some time back and I only thought to ask for some thoughts now that I've just joined the forum.

nonetheless I think you've gotten what I mean. i've rotated my shoulders and completed my swing but just not wrist hinging, so the club points at the sky and not parallel to the ground.

you're right about irons being not about distance, though my ego still seeks a 170m 7 iron like the pros haha...
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:45 am

Hi pushslice, meant wrist hinging at the top...the one that's responsible for getting the club to parallel at the top
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Thats a wrist cock. To hinge a wrist back create a cupped wrist. Hinge forward is to create a bowed wrist.

Steve stricker is known to have very little wrist cock on the back swing. Hits it great.

Look for a youtube video of Pete Cowen at Callaway Europe, explaining the difference.

So many good ballstrikers dont get ro parallel and they still hit long.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Good example would be one of the PGA Tour Bomber, JB Holmes whose swing is very short and very minimum wrist cock at the top ... To him, getting distance is not about having wrist cock at the top of your swing but lag in your downswing is ... Smile

Lets take a look at what I meant above ...

Here is an excellent tip from JB Holmes in getting tremendous distance ... Almost zero wrist cock ...

Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Isn't tiger's wrist movement v minimal also? So your wrist action is similar to his?

That's good in my opinion!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:46 pm

As CYP said, you do not need to have your 7 iron parallel to the ground, if your 7 iron is parallel then your driver will be pointing at your ankle, the 7 iron is shorter therefore your arc will be shorter...
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 3:15 pm

thanks for the comments guys Very Happy gave me a lot of food for thought on improving my own swing with all the inputs on wrist hinging and wrist cocking...

stumbled upon this forum and it's amazing to know Singapore has such an active golf community with lots of camaraderie Smile golf well guys!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address   Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wrist Hinge and Shaft Lean at Address
Page 1 of 1