Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Difference in club head speed for irons and driver

Go down 
+7
NikeN
shamusan
krone
yanhaotiong
enwee
bryanachong
Jaws
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaws
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Difference in club head speed for irons and driver Empty
PostSubject: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Is there a norm for the difference in club head speed for driver and irons. For example, my club head speed for 7 iron is 78 mph, 145m while my club head speed for driver is 98mph, 235m. Is this normal? Asking because I was recommended a regular shaft but I'm quite comfortable with my stiff shafts and find regular shafts a bit too whippy
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm

IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm

bryanachong wrote:
IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid

Ok lah, speed fast, does not really equate to distance or accuracy.
Look at the Asian players when they are playing in Europe or joint events.
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Wow your 7i 78 mph can go 145?!! I must be doing Sth wrong here hahaha! Anyway my 7i and driver swing speed has a gap of 15-18mph so it's around yours!
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm

enwee wrote:
bryanachong wrote:

Ok lah, speed fast, does not really equate to distance or accuracy.
Look at the Asian players when they are playing in Europe or joint events.

yeah so many other factors to look at in golf Exclamation
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:48 pm

yanhaotiong wrote:
Wow your 7i 78 mph can go 145?!! I must be doing Sth wrong here hahaha! Anyway my 7i and driver swing speed has a gap of 15-18mph so it's around yours!

Hmmm.... My iron swing speed is about 80+ and my driver is 110+... But his distance is almost same as mine!!! My 7i is about 150 and driver is ard 230-240. Went for the Hot list Demo and everyone told me I shldnt be using graphite shaft and when I hit the drivers, all shots sliced right on the stock shafts and the moment they changed me to the Adtila Trinity shaft, all my shots immediately went straight!!! I guess it's all in the shaft...
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 pm

bryanachong wrote:

hmmm... i think that is an unfair generalization....

i dont think my swing speed would lose to 90% of the ang mohs...

nor would my distances..
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 pm

shamusan wrote:
bryanachong wrote:

nor would my distances..

My opinion only! Not able to see all the different kind of swing speed etc etc so just assuming
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Besides swing speed, smash factor is important factor in result distance. Razz
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/smashfactor.php
Back to top Go down
Jaws
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm

yes i understand that smash factor will ultimately determine the distance. but taking all that out of the equation, say you get the same smash factor each time, is there like an average difference between your driver and irons swing speed, or is that a function of your tempo, for example?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm

U guys assuming that all 7i lofts are equal? The differences can be more than 2 clubs across brands. E.g Titleist players irons vs honma super GI
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

krone wrote:
yanhaotiong wrote:

Hmmm.... My iron swing speed is about 80+ and my driver is 110+... But his distance is almost same as mine!!! My 7i is about 150 and driver is ard 230-240. Went for the Hot list Demo and everyone told me I shldnt be using graphite shaft and when I hit the drivers, all shots sliced right on the stock shafts and the moment they changed me to the Adtila Trinity shaft, all my shots immediately went straight!!! I guess it's all in the shaft...

110+mph with a 230-240 is weird! I agree that shafts play a big role but based on your stats it looks like more of a swing problem. Even my 110 mph swings go around 270m with a R flex driver.

And I agree with the lofts of irons. Recently got my clubs bent and learned 3 categories for this - I'm playing the older one so my 7 iron will be the same as the modern 8 iron.
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

NikeN wrote:

Hmm ure right... My smash factor is quite low averaging near 1.20.... Oh and I tried the R1 during the Hot List demo with the shaft he recommended and I hit abt 260+ based on what I saw on the computer screen..
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 am

shamusan wrote:
bryanachong wrote:

nor would my distances..

You have ang moh size leh. Come to think of it, you are bigger than the standard ang moh. What a Face
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 am

Jaws wrote:
Is there a norm for the difference in club head speed for driver and irons. For example, my club head speed for 7 iron is 78 mph, 145m while my club head speed for driver is 98mph, 235m. Is this normal? Asking because I was recommended a regular shaft but I'm quite comfortable with my stiff shafts and find regular shafts a bit too whippy

It is normal to have different swing speed for driver and irons. If shaft material and weight are the same for both clubs, the length itself will create different swing speed liao.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am

krone wrote:
NikeN wrote:

Hmm ure right... My smash factor is quite low averaging near 1.20.... Oh and I tried the R1 during the Hot List demo with the shaft he recommended and I hit abt 260+ based on what I saw on the computer screen..

Wow, you must be quite a monster to hit 260+ with avg smash factor of 1.2.
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Quest wrote:

Wow, you must be quite a monster to hit 260+ with avg smash factor of 1.2.

Oh smash factor of 1.20+ is for my irons. But I figure my drivers ain't that good as well... I use alot of hand to generate power... If I can't harness the strength from a good swing it would be even better...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Swing speed is a bit of a misnomer. It refers specifically to have fast you can move the club head, not how fast you (think) you can move the golf club. Naturally since clubs are different lengths, a similar force applied at one end the the club will result in different speed at the other end (the club head).

Smash factor indicates how much energy is transferred to the golf ball. It is a ratio of the ball speed to the club head speed. Assuming the same quality of contact, different types of club heads, e.g drivers vs irons, will result in different smash factors. In general, fairway woods incl Drivers have higher smash factors than irons.

I am guessing that you are asking these questions to gauge if your swing is efficient across different type of clubs.

However, I would suggest that the best gauge of how efficient your swing is, is still how consistent your distance and direction is.

Theory is all well and good, figures are nice to talk about, but the only number that counts is how many strokes it takes to finish the hole.

As a personal example, I would like to think that I have an above average knowledge (from a consumer perspective) about the tech side of golf, however, knowing these things does NOT in any way help me play better golf.

I would love to be able to forget all this clutter, and just be able to pick up a club and hit the ball where I want it without doubt and fear ... Think it is about time I went back to getting proper instruction
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Derek wrote:
Swing speed is a bit of a misnomer. It refers specifically to have fast you can move the club head, not how fast you (think) you can move the golf club. Naturally since clubs are different lengths, a similar force applied at one end the the club will result in different speed at the other end (the club head).

Smash factor indicates how much energy is transferred to the golf ball. It is a ratio of the ball speed to the club head speed. Assuming the same quality of contact, different types of club heads, e.g drivers vs irons, will result in different smash factors. In general, fairway woods incl Drivers have higher smash factors than irons.

I am guessing that you are asking these questions to gauge if your swing is efficient across different type of clubs.

However, I would suggest that the best gauge of how efficient your swing is, is still how consistent your distance and direction is.

Theory is all well and good, figures are nice to talk about, but the only number that counts is how many strokes it takes to finish the hole.

As a personal example, I would like to think that I have an above average knowledge (from a consumer perspective) about the tech side of golf, however, knowing these things does NOT in any way help me play better golf.

I would love to be able to forget all this clutter, and just be able to pick up a club and hit the ball where I want it without doubt and fear ... Think it is about time I went back to getting proper instruction

i'm glad u have moved on from being a range PRO.....

albino
Back to top Go down
Jaws
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Derek wrote:

Hi Derek, perhaps i should explain in greater detail why i asked the question in the first place. So basically i was recommended a regular shaft for my iron, which i believe was based on my swing speed of 78mph. But as for my 98 mph driver swing speed, my stiff flex shaft fits me fair and well. Ultimately i feel more comfortable with a stiff flex shaft for both irons and driver. But my question stems from the uncertainty of whether i am doing something wrong in my iron swing, that i got recommended a regular flex for irons?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Difference in club head speed for irons and driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Difference in club head speed for irons and driver
Page 1 of 1