Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?

Go down 
+10
Turbo
Tokkokking
Quest
Roystonnn
andrew-golf
Kookk
Technospaz
slinger
pocketace
AJTAURUS
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? Empty
PostSubject: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 am

Hi guys, I need a 2nd opinion (or maybe 3,4 or 5 opinions) on which clubs to have in my bag.....

I current have the normal driver, 6-PW with a 5-HY replacing my 5-Iron, followed by 51,54,58 wedges.

Now here is the dilemma, I have a 3-FW and a 5-FW with shaft of the same length. I also have a 2-HY and a 3-HY. I hit the 2-HY further than my 5-FW but a bit shorter or the same (on a solid contact) distance than/with my 3-FW. I have mixed results with my 3-HY and my 5-FW.

This is how far I hit:- (in metres)

Wedges-70 to 90
PW-90
9i-100
8i-110
7i-120
6i-130
5HY-140 to 150
3HY-150 to 160
5FW-160 to 180 (off the tee)
150 to 170 (off the ground)
2HY-180 to 190 (off the tee)
170 to 190 (off the ground)
3FW-180 to 200 (off the tee)
Driver:- 200 to 220

Looking at the statistics, which club should not be in my bag? All your gracious comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

Have you exceeded 14 clubs that you wanna remove some clubs? We dunno how many wedges you carry in your bag based on your post above

Based on the above post, the only distance overlap is around these clubs

If you already exceeded 14 clubs in the bag, then I suggest you keep those clubs that you most confidently hit on course with highest % hit rate.

If you never exceed 14 clubs, then just keep them cos a hybrid can hit some shots off rough better than fw but fw distance and trajectory differs from hybrid even if both are of same / similar loft
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am

pocketace wrote:
Have you exceeded 14 clubs that you wanna remove some clubs? We dunno how many wedges you carry in your bag based on your post above

Based on the above post, the only distance overlap is around these clubs

If you already exceeded 14 clubs in the bag, then I suggest you keep those clubs that you most confidently hit on course with highest % hit rate.

If you never exceed 14 clubs, then just keep them cos a hybrid can hit some shots off rough better than fw but fw distance and trajectory differs from hybrid even if both are of same / similar loft

Including putter, total 15.........so which club to leave out of the bag? I guess it's either going to be the 3HY or 5FW........?? Mad
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 am

i think its between the 2H and 5W....

ask yourself :

1) u play off white or blue

2) how critical is that 160m-180m

i rather be straight but short than long but wild....

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am

Why do you distinguish clubs which are hit off the tee and off the ground?

Well, I don't do well in either so I just judge my clubs based on approx. distance. And I agree with Slinger - better to be straight and short.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks guys......it's either 2HY and 5FW. B4 that will re-try on the course one more time.....
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

Unless I am missing out on something, If your wedge and PW both hit 90, you should remove either PW or 51.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 am

Kookk wrote:
If your wedge and PW both hit 90, you should remove either PW or 51.

Bro Kookk, thanks for bringing it up......., shhhssshhh why did'nt think of that...??!!
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 am

slinger wrote:
i think its between the 2H and 5W....

ask yourself :

1) u play off white or blue

2) how critical is that 160m-180m

i rather be straight but short than long but wild....

Some like it long and wild what.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:27 am

recently i played with a golfer who has only 11 clubs in the bag

he returned with 84 off the blues

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 am

AJTAURUS wrote:
Kookk wrote:

Bro Kookk, thanks for bringing it up......., shhhssshhh why did'nt think of that...??!!

Glad to be of assistance. My guess is that many golfers are obsessed with distance and overlook the importance of the wedges.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 am

Off the ground, ur 2H & 3W seems to have same distance of 170-190.
So u should take out either one which u r less confident hitting off the ground, CONSISTENTLY.

By the way, do u have any wedge for distance below 70?
If no, u can consider using pw halfswing to cover probably 70m-80m & get a wedge to cover sub 70m distance. But if u got ways to get around below 70m, then it's fine.

My 1 cent. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:03 am

Roystonnn wrote:
So u should take out either one which u r less confident hitting off the ground, CONSISTENTLY.

If no, u can consider using pw halfswing to cover probably 70m-80m & get a wedge to cover sub 70m distance. But if u got ways to get around below 70m, then it's fine.

My 1 cent. Very Happy

My 58 would hit 70. Most times I hit my 5FW off the tee coz of the bigger face. I use my 3FW off the ground coz of the thinner face and when hitting from a flat fairway. But I only use my 2HY when I am in the rough or there is undulating on the fairway. All this to achieve the said distance........
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 am

For me, I would take only 1 wood, so it's either the 3FW or 5FW. Have lived with this situation for the past years and have replaced both with a 4FW. Only recently gone back to the 3FW as I wanted a lower ball flight, still carry only 1 wood.

With this wood configuration, I would replace the 2HY with a 3HY as the 2 is more difficult to use consistently, due to the length and loft.

I also carry 3 wedges - PW (47), GW (52) & SW (58). In total, I have 12 clubs in my bag and they are more than sufficient for my needs. Have been doing this for at least 4 years now. Never felt the need for any more clubs. Additionally, I like my bag to be as light as possible.

Last edited by Quest on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 am

AJTAURUS wrote:
Roystonnn wrote:

My 1 cent. Very Happy

My 58 would hit 70. Most times I hit my 5FW off the tee coz of the bigger face. I use my 3FW off the ground coz of the thinner face and when hitting from a flat fairway. But I only use my 2HY when I am in the rough or there is undulating on the fairway. All this to achieve the said distance........

Hmm.. sounds like your 5FW and 3FW are of different makes. Could that be something you want to consider too? [posion]
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 am

One other reason why I don't find much use for 2 woods is because I only need to choke down on the grip to hit a shorter distance with my FW. Much cheaper in the end also.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:23 am

Quest wrote:
For me, I would take only 1 wood, so it's either the 3FW or 5FW. Have lived with this situation for the past years and have replaced both with a 4FW. Only recently gone back to the 3FW as I wanted a lower ball flight, still carry only 1 wood.

With this wood configuration, I would replace the 2HY with a 3HY as the 2 is more difficult to use consistently, due to the length and loft.

I also carry 3 wedges - PW (47), GW (52) & SW (58). In total, I have 12 clubs in my bag and they are more than sufficient for my needs. Have been this year for at least 4 years. Never felt the need for any more clubs. Additionally, I like my bag to be as light as possible.

Thanks for the input bro, come to think of it, we don't always use all the clubs on the course at any one time.....!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 am

AJTAURUS wrote:
Kookk wrote:

PW and Gap/Sand/Lob wedges can be used for different situation in a short game scenario. You cannot just consider full swing aspect. Think of the short game that the sand/Lobe wedges that can benefit your game which PW sometime can't ... There are many social and Pro golfers having as many as 3 wedges in their bags. That clearly suggests the importance of wedges. In my opinion, you should remove one of the hybrids. My 2 cents' worth ...

Last edited by Turbo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 am

Quest wrote:
One other reason why I don't find much use for 2 woods is because I only need to choke down on the grip to hit a shorter distance with my FW. Much cheaper in the end also.

In other words, I choke on my 2HY to vary distance on my 3HY & 5HY?
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 am

Tokkokking wrote:
AJTAURUS wrote:
Roystonnn wrote:

My 1 cent. Very Happy

Hmm.. sounds like your 5FW and 3FW are of different makes. Could that be something you want to consider too? [posion]

Yup, same brand but different model but same shaft length........
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:39 am

Possible, but I've never tried to replicate a 5HY distance with a 2HY before. Normally, I'll only do 1 club down (choke 1-1.5" down) or max 2, not 3 clubs.

But that being said, I will stay away from the 2HY as I find it more difficult to use and less forgiving, e.g. less loft so contact need to be good or else can lead to all sorts of trouble. Have carried it in the past, but didn't really find it as useful as a 3HY or 4HY.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Why do you distinguish clubs which are hit off the tee and off the ground?

Well, I don't do well in either so I just judge my clubs based on approx. distance. And I agree with Slinger - better to be straight and short.

Totally agree with Bro TS,

It's good to know which club(s) in the bag gives you specific distances, but then again, why are we not exercising both visualization & imagination skills in trying to accomplish varied distances with different clubs in the bag...... How is it that we seldom discuss about fabricating a 100 ~ 120m shot with a 22 hybrid, 5 or 6 iron ~ the arrow is dead but the Indian isn't........

As for what Bro Slinger mentioned;

What's the remaining distance left after your tee shot from the box (be it off blue or white tee) ~ there'll always be a familiar distance that we often find ourselves in after the tee shot from the box, work on those clubs that get you on the green and with that you'll know those are the clubs that should stay in the bag ~ it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive.

Where club usage is concerned ~ it's all in the head, there's no reason why we can't use certain clubs if you've put the fair amount of time working with it. We're not born talented in this sport & neither are the pros, only difference is that they have the luxury of the time to work with their equipment and we don't - thus, our greatest enemy is ourselves that's why we're constantly changing equipment to suit our ever changing swing and mindset towards this game......

Golf is an interesting game ~ its not just about the numbers, just go out there & enjoy the moment

Beer

Last edited by Vinny on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Thank you for all the enlightening feedback! Theoretically it's easier when u r at the range compared to the course. Will take heed of all useful feedbacks, guess it's back to the drawing board!
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:42 pm

AJTAURUS wrote:
Roystonnn wrote:

My 1 cent. Very Happy

U use 3FW off the ground.
Cun use 2HY off the ground as well?
Since u could handle 2Hy even on difficult ground.
So should hav no problem getting 2Hy off the ground in replacement of 3W?

Or u can consider teeing off with 3W as it has longer distance & moreover u already could use in off the ground which means no issue off the tee also?
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 pm

AJTAURUS wrote:
Hi guys, I need a 2nd opinion (or maybe 3,4 or 5 opinions) on which clubs to have in my bag.....

I current have the normal driver, 6-PW with a 5-HY replacing my 5-Iron, followed by 51,54,58 wedges.

Now here is the dilemma, I have a 3-FW and a 5-FW with shaft of the same length. I also have a 2-HY and a 3-HY. I hit the 2-HY further than my 5-FW but a bit shorter or the same (on a solid contact) distance than/with my 3-FW. I have mixed results with my 3-HY and my 5-FW.

This is how far I hit:- (in metres)

Wedges-70 to 90
PW-90
9i-100
8i-110
7i-120
6i-130
5HY-140 to 150
3HY-150 to 160
Driver:- 200 to 220

Looking at the statistics, which club should not be in my bag? All your gracious comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Assumptions that i have made on your clubs since you dont have WITB
1)your 2Hybrid is 16* due to yardage gap on 5Wood and 2Hybrid.
2)your 3Hybrid is different loft from your 2Hybrid- one is 19* while other is 16*
3)one distance for every clubs based on average
5Hy-140
3Hy-150
5Fw-160
2Hy-170
3Fw-180
Driver- whatever distances it is just whack like the sky is the limit Smile.

IMHO, 1)your hybrids are giving you awkward distances where 2HY and 3HY is about 2~3 club length or 20m different. 2)you have overlapping of clubs with same lofts, 3Hy is 19* and 5Fw is 19*. 3) without seeing how is your ball flight, i think that some clubs you hit the ball high while others not launching which explains(1).

Had some problems with my bag setup too, but cured. Took out my 3Fw cause same distance as my 5Fw due to ball launch, replace with a 50* wedge which takes care of 90m. It helps as i manage to keep all my clubs hitting at the same apex height. Put my 4Hy 21* to save my @$$ throughout the 18holes, SEL my home course all par 5s and 3 par3s sure must use my 4Hy if not my par.....

Hope it helpsssss
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?   Dilemma.....which clubs to replace? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dilemma.....which clubs to replace?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next