Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any pros teaching single-plane swing?

Go down 
+8
Denis
stickman
TourSwing
Turbo
simoner
goh.YF.52
shorthitter
Tokkokking
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm going thru a set of lessons with SH at the moment.
I find his instructions simple to follow. What I like is how he try to keep it very simple for us who has a day job. That's why I get a little bemused at times on some threads which over complicate the game in my humble opinion

Examples
- simple green side bunker shot. It looks so simple and effective that we (students) could not believe it
- the "get out of jail" chipping method (stroke saver)
- the towel drill
- how to shape shots

I shall not divulge too much Laughing

He doesn't try to drastically change your swing, but his drills help to develop good habits. Recently I shot my personal best since taking lessons so, the proof is in the pudding. All the stuffs above he mentioned to us during lessons. I think as mature adults, it's ok to agree to disagree. There are many ways to skin a cat, many ways to swing a club. Just get the ball into the hole!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks Teck, I am not taking any offense from anyone... at least I am not on Stomp yet.... Very Happy

Here is Zaw Moe's swing, he is trying to become more "armsy". On purpose. Again to me it does not look it, but that is what his mind thinks.

https://youtu.be/LHAIoNSUe1U
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Thanks Teck, I am not taking any offense from anyone... at least I am not on Stomp yet.... Very Happy

Here is Zaw Moe's swing, he is trying to become more "armsy". On purpose. Again to me it does not look it, but that is what his mind thinks.

To me, his "armsy" is turn as much as you can on your shoulders while minimising hip turn for the X factor. But to him, i think age has took away his hip flexibility to turn while getting the club parallel to the ground at the backswing.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 pm

goh.YF.52 wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

IMHO,to me, his "armsy" is turn as much as you can on your shoulders while minimising hip turn for the X factor. But to him, i think age has took away his hip flexibility to turn while getting the club parallel to the ground at the backswing.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 pm

[quote="goh.YF.52"][quote="goh.YF.52"]
shorthitter wrote:

IMHO,to me, his "armsy" is turn as much as you can on your shoulders while minimising hip turn for the X factor. But to him, i think age has took away his hip flexibility to turn while getting the club parallel to the ground at the backswing.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 am

[quote="goh.YF.52"][quote="goh.YF.52"]
goh.YF.52 wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

I dont know about the X factor mate, sounds like a reality TV show.., but it sounds correct, we are not, or should not, be deliberately turning our hips on the backswing. The hips will naturally turn as much as they need to to allow our shoulders to turn 90 degrees.

If the hips turn first, usually the back leg straightens, then we have no coil, and no coil equals no distance and less control over direction.

2nd, in the video he is hitting a 9 iron, he can hit his 9 iron 155 yards as you can see effortlessly.

Myth again is that you need to get your club parallel at the top of the swing. If I get my PW or 9 iron parallel at the top, then by default my Driver must be pointing at the ground correct?

It is a progressive arc radius, we do not reach parallel till we get to the longer clubs. if we try to then we get reverse pivots and huge casting issues.

This is LCB with a 7 iron.

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Lcbtop

Here is Tiger with 4 iron.

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Tigerah

Also note their hip position, the more you rotate your hips in the backswing, not only are you in a weaker position but you have to in a split second get them back to where you started from.

If you limit the hip turn, you not only have more control you also have a massive amount of stored power that takes no effort to get back to the ball in a squared position.

Even the fat Kiwi, I am hitting 9 iron here 154 yards.

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Allenv

Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 am

shorthitter wrote:

I dont know about the X factor mate, sounds like a reality TV show.., but it sounds correct, we are not, or should not, be deliberately turning our hips on the backswing. The hips will naturally turn as much as they need to to allow our shoulders to turn 90 degrees.

THe X-Factor if I recall, has to do with a top down view of the whole swing sequence involving theUpper body and lower body.

Strap a alignment stick through the belt loop on the front. Next take a bungee cord ( with a hook on each end and use it to secure another alignment stick across your chest behind your arms.

On the back swing you would form an X

Sorry have been watching too much videos on You tube. SOme recently posted a Golf Channel vid here highlighting the X-factor swing.

BTW...COngrats MEng Teck....When you coming up to HCMC again??? CAnt wait to have a game with you and please send my regards to Bobo....
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 pm

[quote="shorthitter"][quote="goh.YF.52"]
goh.YF.52 wrote:
goh.YF.52 wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

If the hips turn first, usually the back leg straightens, then we have no coil, and no coil equals no distance and less control over direction.

2nd, in the video he is hitting a 9 iron, he can hit his 9 iron 155 yards as you can see effortlessly.

Myth again is that you need to get your club parallel at the top of the swing. If I get my PW or 9 iron parallel at the top, then by default my Driver must be pointing at the ground correct?

It is a progressive arc radius, we do not reach parallel till we get to the longer clubs. if we try to then we get reverse pivots and huge casting issues.

This is LCB with a 7 iron.

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Lcbtop

Here is Tiger with 4 iron.

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Tigerah

Also note their hip position, the more you rotate your hips in the backswing, not only are you in a weaker position but you have to in a split second get them back to where you started from.

If you limit the hip turn, you not only have more control you also have a massive amount of stored power that takes no effort to get back to the ball in a squared position.

Even the fat Kiwi, I am hitting 9 iron here 154 yards.

Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 Allenv

All have their left shoulder point at the right foot for complete turning.

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 2:27 pm

A very good read ...

Zach Johnson on "How To Get Back To The Ball ... Let your arms pull your body from the top"

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2012-01/zach-johnson-downswing-drills

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any pros teaching single-plane swing?   Any pros teaching single-plane swing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any pros teaching single-plane swing?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2