Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sweeping and hitting down on the ball

Go down 
+5
elyjacob
hacknet
sob
goh.YF.52
a1m3r
9 posters
AuthorMessage
a1m3r
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Sweeping and hitting down on the ball Empty
PostSubject: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey guys!

Question on hitting down and sweeping the golf ball.

When we hit down or sweep the golf ball, it is a matter of the stance that you are taking the ball.
For example, for longer clubs hybrid and driver, we tend to sweep the ball.
This mean putting the golf ball forward to the left of the centre.

If we want to hit down on the ball, we put them at the centre?

Am i understanding this correctly or is there any particular steps which i will need to take on my backswing and downswing?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Hitting down of the ball can also be done when ball is on the left foot for righties. It just at impact how your club approaches the ball in relation to your weight shift.

In hitting down, i would maintain my weight on left foot aka pivot left throughout my swing, usually off the deck shots. My drives would be the common weight shift that your coach may have taught you where i goes pivot right to pivot left.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:11 pm

AOA
Loft at impact
Back to top Go down
hacknet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 am

this video could shed some light..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCWXI5bJ3g
Back to top Go down
elyjacob
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 pm

thx for the video bro. after watching it, i realise how my driver setup is similarly close to the body like irins setup when it should be away, slightly reaching out. maybe thats why i still slice uncontrollably when i give a good whack. will try this at the range.
Back to top Go down
a1m3r
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm

very nice video indeed.
i am using the same type of swing pattern when i am using the iron and longer clubs hybrids and driver.
maybe that's the reason why i am hitting with iron and not hitting them with my longer clubs.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm

hacknet wrote:
this video could shed some light..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCWXI5bJ3g

Thanks for sharing ... Good advice by Zach Allen ... cheers
Back to top Go down
hacknet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:10 pm

i just came back from the range and find it extremely hard to convert anything in that video to practice man...!
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 pm

What you try la
Back to top Go down
hacknet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 pm

honestly have no idea.. video all look so good, go to the range look like a clown.
Back to top Go down
elyjacob
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 pm

u make me wanna go for a few whacks during lunch tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
hacknet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm

way ahead of you bro, im going kranji tmr morning.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Maybe you should buy more dunlop balls. Just in case.
Back to top Go down
hacknet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 pm

after range time today, hopefully dont need so many.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Maybe you are not supposed to swing sweeping and hitting down in the same swing bro.
Back to top Go down
a1m3r
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 pm

hacknet wrote:
i just came back from the range and find it extremely hard to convert anything in that video to practice man...!

this happens for both your irons and your longer clubs?
Back to top Go down
pravnash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Nice video !
Am heading down to the range today.. let me see if i can put this advise to good use !
Back to top Go down
pravnash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Not easy to replicate on the range guys.. will take a lot of practice.. especially to keep that lag in the wrist upto impact !
Back to top Go down
a1m3r
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 9:52 pm

seems like this video will take some practise before we can replicate this
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 am

Last night Golf Channel has a very good golf lesson on how to hit driver, woods, hybrid. Maybe you can check out golf channel website to see the Golf Fix lesson.

Rory's swing is too difficult to duplicate. Suggest not to follow as it is too fast and too much timing issue. He is one of a kind.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sweeping and hitting down on the ball   Sweeping and hitting down on the ball I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sweeping and hitting down on the ball
Page 1 of 1