Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ball spins right on landing

Go down 
+7
Derek
Turbo
pocketace
pushslice
weesern
TITW
Gray
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

ball spins right on landing Empty
PostSubject: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:28 am

Want to consult the lao jiao (experienced golfers here)

When I hit my ball, the ball flight is straight and nice. However when it lands, the balls checks and spins off to the right.

Why does this happen? A few things I can think of

Swing - I strike the ball from out to in (but then why does the ball still fly straight?)
Equipment - my shaft is too soft and at impact, imparts a spin that does not affect flight and direction but only when the ball hits the ground (is this even a vaild excuse? does it matter?)

I prefer if the problem is an equipment problem cos that is easier to change than my swing but want to confirm as I do not want to change equipment unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Gray on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am

See a pro.

Makes your game more enjoyable in the longer run. Not to mention, save more $$ too.

IMO.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 am

Other possibilities?:
maybe ground is slightly slope to the right,
landed and hit a pebble on the green
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am

Spin right so probably your balls spin axis tilted to the right for a slight fade ball flight, that you may not notice. Ball goes straight because the club face is probably squared to target at impact, but your club path may be out to in

You can verify this with hitting a few balls using trackman. Confirm whether your club path is out to in that creates the left to right spin axis

Trackman newsletter has interesting write ups on the ball flight laws. On their website.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Just wondering... Why is there a general perceived resistance to see a pro?

Get a honest assessment of the swing. Then issues like distance and direction and ball flights or balls spinning left or right can be addressed.

I'm also equally guilty buying lots of equipment (I see that as similar to women buying make up - we are buying hope!), now I got 2 pieces of every club in the bag. At the end of the day, I realized its all down to the swing Razz

Will not stop me from buying new equipment to try but at least deep down I know myself, it's all down to the swing fundamentals and hitting the gym to build on core muscles

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Does the ball behaves that way consistently for every shot? It happened in driver and/or iron shots?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 pm

so far I noticed in my irons not driver or woods.

BTW, this is a result of seeing a pro for over a year. Before that I can hardly even keep the ball straight 50% of the time. Now I am doing it 90% of the time and I notice this. Very weird. Ball will land and suddenly turn almost like a 90deg right
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 3:01 pm

The 90 deg turn is strange indeed!!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Ummm Gray ... let me get this correct

You are hitting the ball straight 90% of the time with enough spin so that even when it lands it can check nicely and to the right (i am going to take the 90deg with a pinch of salt cos I can't fathom how you can see that from more than 100m away)

Just curious, why do you think you have a problem?

I would love to be able to do what you do, i.e. hit it straight most of the time and land softly with spin to control the distance ... then I wouldn't have to put so much pressure on my short game
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Maybe you can read up on the D plane thingy to get some insights.
Back to top Go down
Doraemon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Doraemon

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Lucky Bounce & Unlucky Bounce issue?
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Derek wrote:
Ummm Gray ... let me get this correct

You are hitting the ball straight 90% of the time with enough spin so that even when it lands it can check nicely and to the right (i am going to take the 90deg with a pinch of salt cos I can't fathom how you can see that from more than 100m away)

Just curious, why do you think you have a problem?

I would love to be able to do what you do, i.e. hit it straight most of the time and land softly with spin to control the distance ... then I wouldn't have to put so much pressure on my short game

Probably, the ball is heading to hole in 1 direction but bcos it bounces off right, he missed winning a free car? That's a big problem!

Haiya, u can hit straight 90% of the time already, no need to change ur swing again ler leh.. Mine only 20% straight lor..
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Gray wrote:

BTW, this is a result of seeing a pro for over a year. Before that I can hardly even keep the ball straight 50% of the time. Now I am doing it 90% of the time and I notice this. Very weird. Ball will land and suddenly turn almost like a 90deg right

Are you using brand new ball or used ball?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Would be great if you have a vid of it
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Gray wrote:

I don't think it's possible for ball to turn almost 90deg on landing. Even if you slice it it still won't turn almost at right angle. Your ball heavy one side bo? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ball spins right on landing   ball spins right on landing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ball spins right on landing
Page 1 of 1