Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic

Go down 
+11
simoner
chien
acidic88
wilier izoard
bb2
costajos
snagy23
divotee
pocketace
hkhamateur
TDO
15 posters
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic Empty
PostSubject: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 pm

March 1 2013
10:00 AM
McIlroy withdraws in middle of round
By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. -- Defending champion and world No. 1 Rory McIlroy withdrew before finishing his first nine holes in Friday's second round of The Honda Classic.
No immediate word was given for his withdrawal, though he didn't appear to be injured or sick. A statement is expected shortly.
After hitting his approach shot into the water on the 18th -- his ninth hole of the day -- McIlroy walked off the course and quickly left the course with his coach and caddie.

McIlroy, who started on No. 10, struggled from the start. He nearly hit his approach on the 11th hole into the water before chipping through the green and making double bogey.
Two holes later, he made another bogey after driving it well right and being forced to lay up. He missed a 6-footer to save par.
Things went from bad to worse on the par-4 16th. McIlroy hit his tee shot into the water, took a drop, then hit another into the water before carding a 7.
On the par-3 17th, McIlroy three-putted from just over 40 feet to fall to 7 over through his first eight holes.
His troubles began on his second hole, No. 11, where he nearly hit his approach into the water before chipping through the green and eventually making double bogey.

Two holes later, McIlroy drove it into the right rough and had to lay up. His putt to save par from 6 feet slid past the hole and he made another bogey.
Then things went from bad to worse.
McIlroy drove it in the water on the par-4 16th, took a drop, then hit it in the water again. He made 7.
At the par-3 17th, McIlroy found the green with his tee shot, but three-putted from 42 feet after running his first putt 10 feet past the hole.
This is the first time in McIllroy's career that he has withdrawn from a tournament.
Filed under: Rory McIlroy The Honda Classic PGA TOUR
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am

Oh...no! Shocked
A rough road fm start w NIKE equip. Hope rory ll find his feel n rhythm soon! Wink
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 am

The people in Team McIlroy should advise the kid properly
This cannot go on. If he is not injured, then it's the 6 inches between the ears. If he is not comfortable with these new clubs, don't play any tournament till he is ready, or switch to previous clubs

Tiger took a phased approach and he never switched to the Method putter till not too distant past. He didn't switch it all at one go.

Team Tiger 1 - Team McIlroy 0
Back to top Go down
divotee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
divotee

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 am

Sounds like how I play on a typical day.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 am

yah, heard he have a tooth ache.. hum...
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 1:46 am

maybe its a nike ploy to get tiger back to #1
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 am

Things like this happen to us sometimes. For example I was playing Poresia Sakura 43, then screwed the Orchid Course with a 57. Sad No lost balls in water, no OB but just keep hacking for no reason. Sometimes it seems like there's a bug on your shoulder when you are about to hit a shot. And yes, that's part of golf.
Back to top Go down
bb2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bb2

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 am

Wrong move
Back to top Go down
wilier izoard
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
wilier izoard

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:46 am

Tiger is back !
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 am

wilier izoard wrote:
Tiger is back !

Ha! Ha! Good one bro. He's back from near death experience watching the guillotine drop right in front of him and 9 shots back. Laughing
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

Well, Rory mentioned that he is suffering from pain due to wisdom tooth. I'm not sure if I can stay focus with the pain.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Maybe he LS ? Shocked Needed to go to the loo urgently that's why he left suddenly ?? Laughing

Anyway, I'm encouraged... If new clubs fitted so thoroughly could cause so much issue to world no. 1, means I'm normal... sunny

Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Well guess it is bad publicity for Nike. If both world no.1 after switch to nike fails to retain its position. That's says alot about the equipment. Just my tot! Don't flame me
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 pm

I think TW is doing ok with the clubs. And the real issue may not be the clubs but self. Rememver how RM self-destroy himself before he won his first major. And he's not using Nke clubs. I think it's mental. He probably put too much pressure on himself.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 pm

snagy23 wrote:

Golf Channel reported that he had a wisdom tooth ache.....
Back to top Go down
markdylan
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
markdylan

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:08 pm

chien wrote:
Maybe he LS ? Shocked Needed to go to the loo urgently that's why he left suddenly ?? Laughing

Anyway, I'm encouraged... If new clubs fitted so thoroughly could cause so much issue to world no. 1, means I'm normal... sunny

haha..chien..thank u..u make me feels gd too..
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Mark

cheers

We are doing perfectly fine Laughing
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 pm

simoner wrote:
snagy23 wrote:

Golf Channel reported that he had a wisdom tooth ache.....

Indeed. But i also read articles stating he was spotted eating sandwiches after withdrawal. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm

He was deadly with his Titliest golf set & ProV1 golf ball since change to Nike
seem to hv problems...so no.1 spot might change hand.
Back to top Go down
rla
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 pm

cannot change everything at once lah.....too many variables in an already tough game....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic   McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McIlroy Withdraws from The Honda Classic
Page 1 of 1