Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What makes a good student?

Go down 
+15
hkhamateur
ahnah
fata
asahi
DGman
DRGjr72
4dtoto
alangolf
alvin7379
mUAr_cHEe
Technospaz
slinger
kamen
costajos
golfjoy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

What makes a good student? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:50 am

One with no mind of his/her own?
One with a mind like a blank sheet of paper?
One who does not ask question?
One who simply accepts what was being taught?

Your views, please.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 am

depends on the coach too no?
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 am

costajos wrote:

In what sense? Care to elaborate?
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

Sorry to OT, but TS you are too cute!!! cyclops Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am

kamen wrote:

Question Suspect

I have this feeling I know you. K? J? L?

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 am

i also got 3 things to say....

1) dun expect your coach to be miracle worker

2) only GOOD practise makes perfect

3) how much u want out of golf depends on how much u put in

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am

slinger wrote:

Very Happy

+1
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 am

golfjoy wrote:
costajos wrote:

In what sense? Care to elaborate?

i mean like it takes two hands to clap. so more importantly is the fit with the coach. everyone learns differently and coaches coach differently as well. some just want to instruct. others will encourage discussions.
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 am

slinger wrote:

Very Happy

Fair enough. Agree.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 am

golfjoy wrote:
Your views, please.

One that comes to the range 30 minutes before lesson to warm up.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 am

golfjoy wrote:
kamen wrote:

Question Suspect

You are so close to getting the order of alphabets very wrong... tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 pm

One who seek clarifications on why the coach is telling him to do certain things. With understanding, student can have continuous self discovery. Coach can't be with you all the time, they cost $$ Smile
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 pm

The Coach and Student must have "chemistry' and Trust in each other, then the lesson will be fruitful and improvement, else....dun bother..cos it will go back to square one.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm

golfjoy wrote:
One with no mind of his/her own?
One with a mind like a blank sheet of paper?
One who does not ask question?
One who simply accepts what was being taught?

Your views, please.

As a former professional with many years of teaching experience I will add my .02 cents to the post.

Over the years and with several hundred students I have taught, there does not seem to be one specific trait that is transferable between students. Some are better visual learners, some are more technical, while some understand better through verbal interaction and explanation, and some can be feel learners. It really depends on the particular student. I learned it was my job as an instructor to figure out what works for each student and attempt to teach them in that manner.

However the one most important thing that I attempted to convey to any of my students was they needed to practice what I taught them. Without practice it is very difficult (unless you are naturally gifted) to learn a new concept and implement it. I cannot tell you how many times I have given lessons and a student could not understand why they were not improving. I would then ask if they practiced anything that we had worked on, and a common answer was, no I did not have time, or yeah I got to the range and hit half a bucket. The ones that responded with yes I have practiced and it did not work, opened up new dialogue for us and allowed assessment as to why things did not work and how we could remedy that issue. Either way I had an answer, they either practiced or didn't and with that answer I could tailor my teaching. It also allowed me to assess their dedication and commitment level, which then again would allow me to figure out what type of student they would be.

I always enjoyed questions and encouraged my students ask as many as they wanted and as often as they wanted. As an instructor I should have adequate knowledge and be able to field any question from my students, it also allowed me to clearly illustrate to the student my skill set and knowledge level, adding to my credibility. I also felt that it allowed the student to clarify anything they did not understand and it gave me a chance to drive home that idea or concept. Finally it let me see the level of student engagement in the process. If the student was shy, I would ask the questions to ensure they were getting what I was trying to convey.

At the end of the day, teacher/student relationships can be challenging. Some teachers are good, some are bad. Some students are good, and some are bad. The bottom line is if you are spending the money for lessons and want to improve find a quality teacher that you get along with, be open to their suggestions, find a teaching methodology that you can relate to and fits your learning style and commitment level, and finally put in a little work between lessons. If you do all of those things you will see improvement.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 pm

when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.......

when the student is ready....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
golfjoy wrote:
Your views, please.

One that comes to the range 30 minutes before lesson to warm up.

Ok. Checked. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:18 pm

alvin7379 wrote:

You are so close to getting the order of alphabets very wrong... tongue

And this is ALL you noticed? blehhhh tongue
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:19 pm

alangolf wrote:
One who seek clarifications on why the coach is telling him to do certain things. With understanding, student can have continuous self discovery. Coach can't be with you all the time, they cost $$ Smile
Checked. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:24 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:

At the end of the day, teacher/student relationships can be challenging. Some teachers are good, some are bad. Some students are good, and some are bad. The bottom line is if you are spending the money for lessons and want to improve find a quality teacher that you get along with, be open to their suggestions, find a teaching methodology that you can relate to and fits your learning style and commitment level, and finally put in a little work between lessons. If you do all of those things you will see improvement.

Dan
Like a Star @ heaven
Agree.
But usually, it's AFTER making payment then we have the lesson and few lessons down the road, you realise the 2 of you are not compatible. How?
Yes, there are trial lessons, but there is just <this much> one can tell from the 1st meeting. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm

DGman wrote:

Yes, boss. Understand where you're coming from.

I almost said ... BIGFATFISH boss... Laughing
Sorry, don't know where I got that idea!! clown

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

golfjoy wrote:
DRGjr72 wrote:

Dan
Like a Star @ heaven
Agree.
But usually, it's AFTER making payment then we have the lesson and few lessons down the road, you realise the 2 of you are not compatible. How?
Yes, there are trial lessons, but there is just <this much> one can tell from the 1st meeting. Rolling Eyes

I don't know it works here in Singapore, but my policy was to have a few "trial" lessons at first to see if we were compatible and if they enjoyed my teaching methods and style. If they opted for a series or whatnot I would prorate the price when they signed up. Once they signed up for a series I always offered them an exit option if for any reason they became unhappy with my performance, or just felt like it was not working out. Personally I never really liked series of lessons as they essentially "forced" a relationship upon the parties involved. I actually preferred to do single lessons with a scheduled standing day and time. That way for whatever reason the relationship could be terminated easier (without refund for remaining lessons) if either party was unhappy. Fortunately I never had to refund any series lesson money, and very few of my students ever left because they felt things were not working out.

I also completely agree that you can only learn so much from someone after the first lesson. They could put on a good show and you would not know that until several lessons later. I personally would never sign up for a series without a few "trial" lessons so I could assess the compatibility and his or her teaching ability/knowledge base.

I realize there can be discounts involved for series, sometimes substantial. That has to be weighed by you and based on your own personal choice and situation. Again this is how I operated and would never "force" anyone to stay in the relationship if it was not working. If that situation ever arose (it never did) I would have just refunded them the equivalent of the remaining lessons and wished them the best in their golfing endeavors.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Hear hear, Dan!

You are truly an example for our local coaches to follow.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 7:28 pm

golfjoy wrote:

Your views, please.

Good teacher produce good student...
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 7:38 pm

golfjoy wrote:
DGman wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 pm

ahnah wrote:
golfjoy wrote:
DGman wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

silent silent silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good student?   What makes a good student? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next