Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

40 and just took it up . . . too late?

Go down 
+13
JawereZ
shaugn
fribriz
rocky
Duval_S
eiji
Victor3112
Soka
missmoon
ughly
joleelyn
Technospaz
40JustTookUp
17 posters
AuthorMessage
40JustTookUp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

40 and just took it up . . . too late? Empty
PostSubject: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:31 pm

hi hi,

just started and think I can VERY OCCASIONALLY hit the ball liaoz.

Bought some used clubs to try try . . . .

Looking for kakis for 1st round . . . any buddies want to guide me?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Hey 40JustTookUp! Welcome to the Golf Republic Smile

As for being late, better to be late than never Smile It's never too late to take up golf so welcome to the sport! Smile
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:47 pm

hello... nope. 40 is not late. my daddy took it up with me. so that was when he was 51.. =p..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:53 pm

You may be pleased to know that I took it up when I was 17 and it's been many many many many years since and I don't feel as if I've played any better Smile I guess it depends on how much you like the sport and how much time and effort you want to invest in it, regardless of your age Smile
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Yup, my friends' dad started 5 years ago. Don't know how old he was, but my friend is 25, so cant be younger than 40.

5 years, and he is playing with a 10-13 handicap. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Ughly
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:55 pm

I also think that golf is one sport that you can play regardless of age... how cool if u can have 3 generations in the same flight...
Back to top Go down
40JustTookUp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:59 pm

wah . . so fast so many replies 8)

been to the range a few times oredi, now thinking of getting . . PC? so can start gaining experience on the course.

Next time got flight and dun mind my balls fly all over the shop one (or sometimes dun move at all like practice swing like that) jio me leh. If you all thirties to forties even better same frequency. I now go read up games rules abit first yipppeeeee
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:09 pm

lol... ppl say i have been spamming the forum. =D..

aiya... we all had to start some where anyways. like i always believe.. have fun can le. LOL.. esp on the course. tongue
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi 40JustTookUp,

Welcome to Golf Republic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
Soka
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 8:38 pm

40JustTookUp wrote:
hi hi,

Hi
Don Worry and just enjoy the game
I also started golf at 40 plus (just 5 months ago).
1st - 2 months about to give up golf cause cannot play well (no kakis to guide) till I met UL and play with him once at Kranji.
After the game with UL, I realise that you do not need to play like a Pro to enjoy the game. So, I follow the RSS method for the past 3 months and finally got my PC at NSRCC last week.

Most importantly, don't give up and keep going; practice with the right way and if you are more serious with the game, then go for a proper lesson with a Pro.

I will be playing my actual virgin game with UL soon as I'm intended to practice hard for the HC round.

Wish you all the best in this wonderful game.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Victor3112
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Victor3112

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Nonsense.... 40 is just the beginning of life....
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:03 pm

i am also just started the game, think we can be on the same flight for the next GR monthly game 40JustTookUp
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
40JustTookUp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Soka wrote:
40JustTookUp wrote:
hi hi,

Hi
1st - 2 months about to give up golf cause cannot play well (no kakis to guide) till I met UL and play with him once at Kranji.
After the game with UL, I realise that you do not need to play like a Pro to enjoy the game. So, I follow the RSS method for the past 3 months and finally got my PC at NSRCC last week.

Most importantly, don't give up and keep going; practice with the right way and if you are more serious with the game, then go for a proper lesson with a Pro.

I will be playing my actual virgin game with UL soon as I'm intended to practice hard for the HC round.

cheers

jio me leh. I need to go get my PC to start playing on the course right? I go scout around . . . I see this 2 weeks can do or not, as long as sometimes can hit can get PC right?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:47 pm

40 is never too old to start....like someone said (or at least in my dream), 40 is the new 30
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 pm

I met an uncle at TP range. He told me he's been playing for 3 years and manages about 4 rounds in Johore every week. He said he loves the game alot and is good exercise for him. But he also mentioned that his daughter didn't want to buy him better clubs because she was afraid that he might "suddenly give up on the game".

So we asked him why she would think that.

He said, "I'm 83."
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 am

Heehee... just remember that as much fun it is to start, it's also very difficult to stop. So, while we're urging you on, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into Smile
Back to top Go down
fribriz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fribriz

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 am

40JustTookUp wrote:
hi hi,

Hello fellow golfer...nothing is too late to take up. I took in up when turned 40. Just enjoy the game, scenery and camaraderie...

Just note: there is no cure for this poison and "you can check in anytime you want, but can never leave" .. Hotel California...hahaha...ehjoy!
Back to top Go down
shaugn
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
shaugn

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 am

Soka wrote:
Hi

cheers

Last week Wednesday? Smile
Back to top Go down
JawereZ
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JawereZ

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Hello there !!!

Welcome , welcome !

Never to late to learn new stuff .... never try never know , after trying ... don't wanna let go ... hehe !

cheers
Back to top Go down
40JustTookUp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 5:29 pm

no one jio me to play yet leh Sad
Back to top Go down
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JohnBGLee

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi 40JustTookUp

It's not the age, it's the Spirit that matters.

Into the hole.
Back to top Go down
Soka
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 pm

shaugn wrote:
Soka wrote:
Hi

cheers

Last week Wednesday? Smile

It is a Friday !
i was with another guy and we PASS the PC together.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:48 pm

I hit my first golf ball at age 48. I never look back after that. Its 7 years later right now and I always look forward to waking up at 4.30 am on Sat morning for a game with my friends in JB. Cheers. Welcome to the game they called GOLF. Its Go On Learning Forever. Swing

Titu
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 5:14 pm

FrosTee, JL & Ping Ping's mom took up golf at 40 and now is a certified USGTF/AGTF coach at Executive Golf Course (Mandai).

She once attained an official handicap in the low single digits even!

It's never too late to leran something new unless physical limitations or injury prevents it.

Just be careful as older folks like you and I tend to strain, sprain and pain easier than when we were in our 20s and 30s.

Good luck on your golf journey.

CK
Back to top Go down
bono
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:14 am

clarencekim wrote:
Just be careful as older folks like you and I tend to strain, sprain and pain easier than when we were in our 20s and 30s.

Good luck on your golf journey.

CK

Haha... I can attest to that... I'm turning 40 and just took up the game (again) as well... body's not coping as well as when i first tried swinging 6 years ago!

One thing for sure.. I am enjoying it more than ever this time round! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40 and just took it up . . . too late?   40 and just took it up . . . too late? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40 and just took it up . . . too late?
Page 1 of 1