Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does weather affect ball flight

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

Does weather affect ball flight Empty
PostSubject: Does weather affect ball flight   Does weather affect ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 am

Hi all,

notice that in the current wet and rainy weather in SG, my ball distances is shorter than when its hot by 1-2 club

Wonder if bros here also experiencing the same thing.

Below is some info I found on the internet regarding weather affecting ball flight

"Have you ever noticed that on some days the golf ball travels farther than on other days. It might be because you’re striking it more solidly, but it might also be due to the weather. Golf is played in many different types of weather. The type of weather affects how far the ball travels and its amount of spin. Knowing how the weather conditions affect your ball, therefore, is necessary to making correct club selections.

The trajectory of a golf ball and the distance it travels depends on its initial trajectory, speed and spin, as well as what it’s moving through (air). The air is not always the same. It varies in temperature, pressure, humidity and density. If there were no air whatsoever, the golf ball would not travel far. Likewise, if a ball is hit in air with no spin (what often happens when you top the ball), it will not travel far. Check out the graph below of a golf ball hit with a driver under 3 different conditions.

Note first of all that the horizontal and vertical scales are quite different so as to depict clearly the differences in the conditions.

■Max Height/Distance
■Trajectory under normal conditions 38 yd – 248 yd
■Trajectory if no air 8 yd – 180 yd
■Trajectory in air with no spin 6 yd – 120 yd
The spin on the ball creates lift, which increases the height reached and increases the time of flight so that the ball travels further. If there were no air, spin wouldn’t matter at all. If the air is changed (pressure, temperature, density), the height and distance traveled will change.

Under normal conditions, the air does not change very much, but the amount can be significant and should be taken into account, otherwise your ball will fall too short or too long of its mark. Below is a table of distances for a 5- iron and Driver under different atmospheric conditions.

■5 degrees 100% humidity
■20 degrees 50% humidity
■35 degrees 80% humidity
■Driver 244 yd – 250 yd – 262 yd
■5-iron 168 yd – 175 yd- 182 yd
Note that temperature is in degrees Celsius. On the Fahrenheit scale, the temperatures would be 41, 68 and 95 degrees respectively. The distances also depend on the air pressure, which not only depends on temperature and humidity but also on altitude. Hot and humid results in the ball travelling further."

Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
charlesho

PostSubject: Re: Does weather affect ball flight   Does weather affect ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 9:38 am

Nice information... Well I do think the environment will affect the flight trajectory and the carry distance of the golf ball, as our golf ball is not that heavy, which during flight it will be subjected to drag forces generated by our air and huminity.

If my physics knowledge is still correct (please correct me if i am wrong, thank you), the faster the ball velocity, the more significant this effect will be, thus for short hitter like myself, the effect may not be so much of a different describe by the sample provided by bro sob.

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does weather affect ball flight   Does weather affect ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 am

Nice information bro. However, whatever the weather be. I am still short Sad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Does weather affect ball flight   Does weather affect ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 am

Slicer51 wrote:
Nice information bro. However, whatever the weather be. I am still short Sad Very Happy

same here Razz

But what I mean is eg 7I goes 130m normally, but u notice that last game it drops to 120 m or so.

Given that no change in swing or equipment, only thing is weather has changed.Is it possible?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does weather affect ball flight   Does weather affect ball flight I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 am

sob wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

same here Razz

But what I mean is eg 7I goes 130m normally, but u notice that last game it drops to 120 m or so.

Given that no change in swing or equipment, only thing is weather has changed.Is it possible?

I am just kidding bro .. Yes, it is possible. The most obvious will be playing in winter and summer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does weather affect ball flight   Does weather affect ball flight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does weather affect ball flight
Page 1 of 1